Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remote Thermometer Suggestions

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
My friend's wife asked me last night what thermometer I would recommend she get for her husband for Father's Day. Not a controller, as its a gas grill. And not an instant read thermometer. Something like a Maverick, where he can sit on his couch and watch baseball or football. I haven't looked into these in years, so I don't know what the best out there is. Maverick ET-733? 732? Or is there some other brand? Any help would be appreciated.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The 733 seems like the best bet. The 732 might be cheaper. They have had some issues with the probe quality in recent years though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Just got the Maverick 335 a few weeks ago.  It's the Bluetooth so you can use either phone or iPad remotely.  Love it, but the experts here with years of experience might steer to the previous versions.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I like the igrill personally.  It connects with my iPhone and has decent range. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    I have an old weber one.  Works pretty good. Nothing fancy.  Set the type of meet and taste.  It displays the temp and beeps when it's done
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'd go with the 733.  Better rang and probes from what I gather.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    edited June 2015
    I have a dual probe Thermoworks Tw8060
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited June 2015
    There are several great options on the market:

iGrill Mini 
    iGrill 2
    Maverick ET733
    Maverick ET732 

The iGrill line will connect to any smart phone or tablet via BlueTooth. The Mavericks are a little more simple and will require that the remote be carried with him. 

If range is the issue, I would go the Maverick route. If his couch is within 100ft, I would opt for the iGrill option. 

Thermoworks also makes and option. I'm sure it is great, but the price point is ridiculous. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm not a fan of Bluetooth thermometers, because of the range. Bought the iGrill twice and returned both times. If you plan on being around the cooker, then Bluetooth may be a good option, but if you want to be inside doing other things, it doesn't work well. It didn't work for me at least.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    +1 for the Maverick 733
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    caliking said:
    I'm not a fan of Bluetooth thermometers, because of the range. Bought the iGrill twice and returned both times. If you plan on being around the cooker, then Bluetooth may be a good option, but if you want to be inside doing other things, it doesn't work well. It didn't work for me at least.
    I had the same issue with the original iGrill. It would always lose connectivity and just wouldn't work. The rain killed it eventually. 

However, I have zero issues with the new iGrill 2. The ability to monitor 4 different temperatures is appealing. I use 3 food probes and 1 ambient probe. The distance and number of walls will all play a part in the bluetooth range. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Found Maverick's website; http://www.maverickhousewares.com/

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • I bought the 733 just a few months ago and it has been great. Easy to use and accurate. 
    LBGE 
    Dallas, TX
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    edited June 2015
    Wireless & Bluetooth is worthless to me. Metal sided building with steel trusses 
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    The Mavericks in my opinion are cheap Chinese made junk. I've got one sitting in the closet as a spare. I gobught a CyberQ and I am quite impressed with it. Mated to the Cyber Cook app it's awesome. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cybercook/id825124887?mt=8
    Atlanta GA. 
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    733 would be my recommendation. Mine has been working fine for the past year. Dont use the supplied batteries though. Switched to energizer and has been running ever since. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I use an iGrill 2. Range is somewhat of a problem but it keeps me from slipping on/off my boots to check on the egg. I wish there was a WiFi option. My router is definitely within range of the egg. +1 with what @BigGreenCraig said about 4 probes. The box comes with two. I suggest getting the additional ambient probe. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    If there's more than 45 feet between his grill and his recliner, I wouldn't do the bluetooth version.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I think distance is less important than cement block walls, metal wall studs, etc that may reduce the signal. 

I have the iGrill2. I get a solid signal for over 100' across open yard. Also get a solid signal through one cement block wall into my kitchen or living room.  Signal is very unreliable through two cement block walls onto my front porch.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Good thread as I am also in the market for one of these units. I was considering the igrill2 but I don't like that fact that you have to have your cell and only your cell, and I am always skeptical about them removing the apps or discontinuing the service. So I am leaning towards the maverick but I can't decide which unit to pull the trigger on. The 732 or 733? I keep talking myself out of one, then the other and end up empty handed.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    1-1/2 years with Maverick 732....never a problem.  Over 70 cooks and nothing has ever went wrong yet (knocking on wood).  Works perfect.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• cajunbill
    cajunbill Posts: 1
    Been lurking here for a couple of weeks since I am a newbie regarding the BGE's having just bought mine a month ago.  Been loving it ever since and I especially love (except for the costs) getting all the gadgets for it.  Anyway, I'm looking for a remote thermometer and I saw this thread so I ordered the Maverick 733 yesterday.  The feature for two probes is what sold me, one for the internal temp of the meat and one for the cooking temp of the egg itself.  Question I have is this: regarding the ambient temp of the grill itself, where do most of you put that probe?  Into the hole where the present gauge is or do you just lay it on the grill itself somehow.  Would be nice to know from inside my man cave how my fire is going without having to constantly walk outside to the egg.  Thanks and love this forum (and my large BGE.)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The mavericks are nice but I have had problems with the probes. I was careful never to use it above 350 and my 733 probe still fried after about 1.5 years.  I dont use it all the time...would guestimate I only had about 20 cooks with it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I read this hoping to get some good advice - I'm sure it is all good, but it's like asking the best way to cook ribs, start a fire, etc.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Bluetooth range extender like they make for wifi?
  • jhayesbge
    jhayesbge Posts: 13
    I purchased an igrill2 about a week ago and used it for the first time this past weekend.  The difference between the dome and igrill pro ambient probe temp was at least 100+°, very frustrating.  I calibrated my dome thermometer and even compared it to my igrill during the calibration testing and all was good.
    Kansas City, MO - XL, LG, SM
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I really like my igrill.  I don't know if it's better or worse than a maverick.  It comes with two probes and connects to your phone. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    I recently ordered the maverick 733 and love it so far. Easy to use and accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOCR4UI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130

cajunbill said:
    Been lurking here for a couple of weeks since I am a newbie regarding the BGE's having just bought mine a month ago.  Been loving it ever since and I especially love (except for the costs) getting all the gadgets for it.  Anyway, I'm looking for a remote thermometer and I saw this thread so I ordered the Maverick 733 yesterday.  The feature for two probes is what sold me, one for the internal temp of the meat and one for the cooking temp of the egg itself.  Question I have is this: regarding the ambient temp of the grill itself, where do most of you put that probe?  Into the hole where the present gauge is or do you just lay it on the grill itself somehow.  Would be nice to know from inside my man cave how my fire is going without having to constantly walk outside to the egg.  Thanks and love this forum (and my large BGE.)
    The maverick comes with little clips to hold the probe right above the grate. If i have the platesetter in there I try and keep the grate probe away from the sides that allow the heat up and over.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have the Ivation dual temp gauge and it is fine if I am just inside the  house about 30' to 40' and not more then one wall.  If I take it to the bedroom it losses connection.  My dealer sells the Maverick ET-735, which is Bluetooth and will hook up to Apple or Android smart phones.  They took it out around 135' with no loss and into their offices which is over 100' and through a couple walls.  I think it is pretty good.  I have also heard good things about the iGrill 2 and that it is pretty good.  It is also Bluetooth.  I will keep using what I have and I don't really worry about night cooks mush anymore as long as it isn't raining.  I need to get the SS Smokewear Cap soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    I went with the 732 3 years ago.  At first I too had issues with the probes lasting.  Then I got a tip here to wrap the probe wires with tin foil to insulate it when the lid shuts on it.  I basically take a 6" sure of foil fold it in half then wrap it around the probe wire where the lid closes on it.  No problems since I did this.  

Oh I too only use the probe on coos under 350 degrees.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota