Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru

Options
This may be blasphemy here but I bought a digital thermometer with fan.  The first time I used it the temp on the digital reader and my Big Green egg thermometer were right in sync at 315.  Today - the Guru thermometer is reading like 180 when my Egg thermometer is saying 250 so fan keeps going and it is overheating.  As best I can tell, I have the digital thermometer clipped in the pit correctly.  Does anybody have any thoughts or ever run into this problem?  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Do you have cold meat close to your grid probe?  I use a stoker and see the same thing. But after a couple hours and meat warming up they get pretty close. Plus it's always hotter higher in the egg
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lots of threads on this but there could be a few reasons.  For one at the start there is normally a difference between grate temp and dome temp, this difference usually reduces over time.  Second it depends on where your fire is, the dome could be in line with the fire which means it gets direct radiant heat this showing much higher than grate temp.  Also is your dome guage celebrated?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • TDAuburn
    TDAuburn Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for your comments...I have the plate setter in the egg so I think that would eliminate the direct heat issue in the dome.  Not sure on whether the dome gauge is calabrated...it has always seemed to be accurate before and it did match the digital thermometer yesterday when I used it...
  • TDAuburn
    Options
    Chip = good point. I did put the ribs on cold...
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    TDAuburn said:
    Thanks for your comments...I have the plate setter in the egg so I think that would eliminate the direct heat issue in the dome.  Not sure on whether the dome gauge is calabrated...it has always seemed to be accurate before and it did match the digital thermometer yesterday when I used it...
    You would think but unless you have a platesetter leg directly underneath the dome thermo that will not be the case 
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Most important probe is in the meat  ;)  
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    What size egg do you have?  What type of indirect stone do you have?  A picture of your set up, with probe placement, would help.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TDAuburn
    Options
    TDAuburn said:
    You would think but unless you have a platesetter leg directly underneath the dome thermo that will not be the case 
    That was it!!  I had the digital thermometer over the plate setter while the dome thermometer was over an uncovered area - thus the heat was going straight to the dome thermo.  I moved the digital thermometer over the "open" area under the dome and temps match now!  

Which probably brings up the other question of which is more accurate for cooking?  Should the dome thermo be covered by the plate setter or uncovered?  Thanks very much!!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Covered ... both covered ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TDAuburn
    Options
    Thanks Leepster!  Great info learned today...
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    If you do a quick search you will find some other info as well for future reference. @Jeepster47 has written a lot about it.  There is also a thread on here discussing the wires on the fan unit, it is worth while opening up the fan case and looking to see if the two leads are hot glued on.  If they are not you will want to do that because they are very fragile
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II