Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib....it's starting to happen...now ! (no pics, yet)

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
I've mentioned that I wanted my next challenging specialty cook to be Prime Rib. Well...my Bishop at my church (my former Pastor when I first got my life turned around about 23 years ago) told me he was buying a Prime Rib to bring over for me to cook for Saturday's 4th of July feast. 

I called my butcher this morning...$14.49/lb.  A 4-bone, 8-9 lb roast will have bones detached and tied on and waiting for pickup in the morning !!!

He does not have prime Prime Rib, but he said the choice has always been very good and he has never had a complaint.

I've been researching for 2-weeks now and thanks to all you Awesome folks here on the forum and the additional links that have been shared in past posts, I think I am ready.....

I'll record my cook and will post pics as it progresses to the finale ! 

It is happening now...I can already smell and taste my first Prime Rib on my BGE.

Very excited. Can't wait. I love beef. I love my BGE.      #whatlifeisallabout

As always, thanks goes out to all you awesome Eggheads who teach and inspire me to move forward in my BGE journey !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    The Bishop? Sounds like you're doing the Lord's work here! Hope you knock it out of the park Donnie.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have an 8 pound prime rib on deck in my freezer awaiting the Egg. I'll be checking in here to see how your cook goes. Hit it out of the park!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Look forward to seeing how this turns out buddy!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Good luck- I'm sure it will be outstanding.  FYI the term "Prime Rib" was coined before the USDA grading system, so it doesn't have anything to do with the grade.  So, a choice grade prime rib is quite common.  I decided to just call it a rib roast and that is how it is usually labeled.  I have only cooked choice grade, and they have all been great.  

You have been researching for 2 weeks so I'm not going to give you any more tips, except for this one:  horseradish cream sauce is not optional ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    Don't sweat it, it's a relatively short and straight forward cook. Although I always get bogged down in the details, au jus, sides, etc.. Can't wait to see the pics!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I'm sure it will be a fantastic cook and day.  As above, this cook is very straight-forward so don't overthink it.  I will be interested in your cook process once finished as there are many ways to cook that hunk of beef.
    Have fun with this journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've yet to cook a prime rib on the egg.  Looking forward to this one Donnie.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I do tend to overthink most things....just me.  

TexanOfTheNorth...We have a "Friend's Day church picnic every 5th-Sunday in a month. My Pastor calls it  "The Big Green Egg Ministry" !!

We usually have lots of visitors in the couple of weeks leading up to our 5th- Sunday picnics !!!!  We expected ~125 people last time and we had over 140 at the picnic !!!!

SmokeyPitt ... I agree horseradish is not an option, but a requirement...especially with Prime Rib.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    get after it - looking forward to the pics
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Got the Chicken Lollipops and wings prepped and rubbed down for the night with J.O.'s RIb and Chicken Smoked Spice Rub.

Mustard slaw for the pulled pork is complete and marinating within itself overnight.

Strawberry Habenaro (Strawbanero) Sauce is ready.

9# Boneless (bones tied back on) Prime Rib is rubbed down and rewrapped and marinating until early in the morning. 

Jalapenos are prepped and filling is made waiting for tomorrow.

Baked potatoes are prepped with olive oil and course sea salt and foil-wrapped until baking in the morning. 

3 racks of Babybacks prepped and rewrapped waiting for in the morning.

2   8-9 lb Butts waiting for me to get out there and fire up the egg.

Got to get busy and then get in bed for an early rise in the morning.

• dldawes1
    Options
    Butts rubbed down with Bad Byron's....is there anything else ?????  Not in my house.

For me and my house, we will use Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice Donnie!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Way to get after it Donnie!
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Butts a smokin' !!  Bout bedtime for me !!

If I wasn't eggdicted to the forum, I'd be headed that way right now !!!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Man, oh man; that;s going to be some seriously good eats!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Good 4th of July morning fellow Eggheads !!!

Well I throwed a little more on the egg this morning !!  Had to get creative, I've never needed more room before...as much as I felt like I did this morning.  But it worked !!!!

Planning on the butts finishing up around 11:30-ish and the stuffed Jalapenos, chicken lolli[ops and wings will go on.

I'm trying something new with the ABTs.  Stuff some with Pimento Cheese and some with Guacamole.  And of course a few traditional sausage and cream cheese/bleu cheese.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is one of the most epic cooks I have ever seen.  My hats off to you for taking all this on at once.   Those pics give me a serious case of XL envy.  I just showed this to my wife and she said "sell your large and small and get that one". 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Did the guac stuffed jalapenos the other day... I think you'll love them!
    Options

• lousubcap
    Options
    One incredible undertaking.  Congrats for stepping up to such a challenge.  That fully loaded XL is a picture of beauty.  Go forth and continue to do great things.  And enjoy the eats especially after such a time and effort investment.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Donnie, that is pure awesomeness. Plain and simple, awesomeness. 

( I think that there is an oxymoron)
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    Holy cats!  Looks like you have a massive party going to be happen!  I'm really jealous of all your coordination skills with this; that is awesome!  I think I'm off to the store for some lollipops :)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Sookie said:
    Holy cats!  Looks like you have a massive party going to be happen!  I'm really jealous of all your coordination skills with this; that is awesome!  I think I'm off to the store for some lollipops :)
    Actually, it's "Holy Bishop"  =)
    Options
    Everything turned out perfect .....except the prime rib.  I planned on 30 minutes per pound as an estimate. I figured 4.5 hours for 9 lb prime rib.   I failed to see the need to check IT (I had my Maverick food probe in a butt because I thought it would be finished before the prime rib)....So at 3 hrs in, thinking I still had 1.5 hrs to go on the Prime Rib, I used my Thermopen to check its IT....I almost threw up it was 151* IT.  

My plan was to pull it off the egg at 120 and either reverse seer or just FTC and it should be perfect rare/med rare in my research.  Need less to say 151* is more well done and not what I was wanting and expecting. 

But all in all it was very good and an awesome flavor. Just done more than I wanted.  This was my first...but next time...I'll use what I learned and keep a more careful eye on the IT after about 2 hours of cooking.

I failed to take any sliced pics...too busy setting the stage for the letdown of cooking it too long !!!! But I'm happy with that, everyone at least said they loved it...next time my rare/med rare will have sliced picks !!!!!

• lousubcap
    Options
    Great effort and results-regardless of your expectations, I'm sure all were most appreciative of the cook.  Unfortunately, most today think " things just happen" and have no appreciation for what it takes to get things done.  Congrats-a great undertaking with equivalent results!  
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Now that's what the XL is for.  Nice cook @dldawes1.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Pitmaster 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Very impressive, I was worried for your Prime rib for a minute, then you pulled off a killer finish, congrats brother!!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • dldawes1
    Options
    I probably should have placed the PR in the front of the egg instead of the back, since this was my first one. This might have worked to my advantage due to the amount of air flow and higher temp toward the back of the egg. 

Being it was my 1st PR, now I know more about how to cook them and how long to expect. But just thinking, if I had put it toward the front, it may not have cooked as fast.

Am I on the right thought process?

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Hoochie Mama!!!!  That there is an XL full of good eats.  Love it brother....well done!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA