Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installing Rutland gasket... paint stripper?

I'm going to tackle gasket replacement this weekend. I'm looking around the local HD for the 3M paint stripper, but coming up empty. I've found this one by AvantiPro one intended for metal. Hmm.

The other option is to get an arbor and this PaintEater wheel, which is what I think is the safest bet.

I guess I'll have to post that photo separately.
LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL

Comments

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266

Any thoughts on the safe use of either of these on the Egg?
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I used the 3m version.  It looks similar to what you posted.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4DH?*Version*=1&*entries*=0
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Actually either would work - or if you have a Harbor Freight store there they sell a cheaper one that works fine. Feel free to ask me questions - you have my email plus my vested interest in your success, you know!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    RRP, I am looking for a kit for a large.  
  • DeltaNu1142
    edited July 2015
    @egginator, send RRP a PM for instant gasket gratification.

Thanks @RRP... I should have gone with the AvantiPro and saved a couple of bucks. Oh well. I'll start on this Sunday. I've got my PermaTex copper gasket spray ready as well.
  • RRP
    @egginator, send RRP a PM for instant gasket gratification.

Thanks @RRP... I should have gone with the AvantiPro and saved a couple of bucks. Oh well. I'll start on this Sunday. I've got my PermaTex copper gasket spray ready as well.
    Like I told you before that spray will not work! You need the 3 oz tube. You have to trust me on this! 
  • DeltaNu1142
    Ohhh, oh. I misread. I thought you said I needed the spray. I'm glad you saw this. I'll pick up a tube today!
  • DeltaNu1142
    edited July 2015
    I installed my gasket today. The paint stripper wheel made quick work of the felt gasket. I used the full Rutland gasket without any trimming... and I even felt like I was going a bit skinny for a while there. Anyway, I have no "completed" photos yet, because as soon as I was done I dropped the lid on a layer of parchment paper on the gasket to let it cure.

I removed the bottom first. If I were to do it over, I would have removed the top gasket first, because while removing to the top, all of the crap then falls on the bottom lip, which requires another cleaning afterward.

This chip near the top clamp bolt came off while grinding away at the rear of the lid. It's small, and probably not noticeable, but I'm annoyed.

I used a pumice stone for the close work. I'll post completed photos tomorrow.
  • RRP
    edited July 2015
    To most people it would first appear that you got over zealous in cleaning the dome with the stripper wheel, but when you look at the inside of that "chip crater" it does not show any marks from the wheel, but instead a rough break in the casting of the dome meaning it was a flaw. OTOH not sure why you thought you could defy gravity and do the base first and then the dome and wonder why the base got dirty...but I guess that's another story... =)
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    So this can be done without disassembling the top dome .. right?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Getting close to time for replacing gasket!  Anxiously awaiting finished pix!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• DeltaNu1142
    edited July 2015
    RRP said:
    To most people it would first appear that you got over zealous in cleaning the dome with the stripper wheel, but when you look at the inside of that "chip crater" it does not show any marks from the wheel, but instead a rough break in the casting of the dome meaning it was a flaw. OTOH not sure why you thought you could defy gravity and do the base first and then the dome and wonder why the base got dirty...but I guess that's another story... =)
    All true... the "crater" as you call it was the result of a flake. I'm not sure whether I could have prevented it by being more careful in that area, but I would have had to have known it was a problem spot. Meh...I'll get over it. I'll have to.

As for the top vs. bottom starting point, I chalk THAT up to being overzealous & wanting to make progess. I was even wondering as I ground the bottom gasket off whether I should even bother with the top... but, at a minimum, I wanted to remove the stickiness. And ultimately, the whole thing from removal to application to closing the lid took less than 90 minutes. Thanks @RRP!

@fljoemon, yes, I did this without removing the lid. You'll want a pumice stone to get to the tight spots in the back.

I'm to go downstairs and check it out...
  • RRP
    fljoemon said:
    So this can be done without disassembling the top dome .. right?
    It is not necessary to remove the dome itself but some people find it easier if removed. Suit yourself! I'm in the school of thought that if you are happy with your bands then why take a chance of messing them up. 

• blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    wish I would have kept the top dome on - cant figure out how to get the underbite out!  Do I call the mothership?
  • RRP
    blakeas said:
    wish I would have kept the top dome on - cant figure out how to get the underbite out!  Do I call the mothership?
    was the underbite there before you started? There are hundreds of threads here about that problem. Have you followed any of them? Please don't blame the Rutland!