Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My XL table build

Options
2»

Comments

• Rosco902
    Rosco902 Posts: 26
    Options
    Looks awesome! Really wish I did the granite part. Great idea. 
    NS Canada
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    blasting said:
    jimithing said:
    n00b said:
    How does the granite hold up in rain?
    Good question.  It's only been outside for about a month but we've had about 18" of rain in that time.  So it's basically been wet for about a month.  When it's wet the granite darkens a bit but as soon as it dries it goes back to the normal color.  It's natural stone so I'm assuming it'll be okay but I guess we'll see.

Prior to it becoming a kitchen table, I had a finished piece of granite leaning up against my block fence for 4 years.  No worries with granite at all.
    Come now ... they asked how it stands up in the rain ... how much rain fell on yours?  Plus, since it was leaning up on its side, what little rain that did fall simply missed it!  Cheers.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Granite is mostly a combination of Quarts and Feldspar. Glass is around 6-6.5 on the Mohs scale of hardness. Quartz is 7, Feldspar is 6. So a granite counter should be about as durable as thick glass. Though it is a little porous so seal it. Other than water spots, I wouldn't worry about using granite in the rain.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Very nice work.  I really like the sturdiness of the table and the castors.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Schrammy
    Schrammy Posts: 34
    Options
    Nice work!  Where did you get the Rockler Jig?
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Schrammy said:
    Nice work!  Where did you get the Rockler Jig?
    They had it in stock at the store near me.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-circle-cutting-jig

XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • FBGirl79
    FBGirl79 Posts: 9
    Options

What are your dimensions of the 2 slabs of granite and overall dimensions of the table top?

We are starting on a table for our new XL this weekend and coming up with plans now. I'm planning to call the company who just did our granite counters and ask about 2 scraps. I was thinking an 18" square for the egg to sit on and a 24" square for the top. Does that sound about right? We are planning on doing a 34" X 72" table.

Still not sure about the height to go with. Husband is 6'4 and I'm 5'7. We are also trying to decide whether or not to cut an opening for the hinge and set it down a little further.

XL BGE Cincinnati, OH

• NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    Rosco902 said:
    I need to ask a dumb question, what's the purpose of the section of granite? Is it for placing a hot platesetter?

I am planning to build a a table and was planning on having a removable carving board and now am wondering if I need to plan for a section of granite as well.
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • jrobison
    jrobison Posts: 50
    Options
    Very nice table. I'm probably going to wish I had a granite section in mine. 
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    The OTHER choice besides Granite is SOAPSTONE.   It is impossible to stain and is typically used (old school) for lab tables in HS and College Chem Labs.

Not quite as many varieties as Granite, but worked the same and VERY durable.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/2230319/Soapstone-Cheese-Plate-san-diego

I've seen entire sinks made from a SINGLE PIECE ($$$$) while the green in the image I linked would go GREAT with an egg.
  • jimithing
    Options
    FBGirl79 said:

What are your dimensions of the 2 slabs of granite and overall dimensions of the table top?

We are starting on a table for our new XL this weekend and coming up with plans now. I'm planning to call the company who just did our granite counters and ask about 2 scraps. I was thinking an 18" square for the egg to sit on and a 24" square for the top. Does that sound about right? We are planning on doing a 34" X 72" table.

Still not sure about the height to go with. Husband is 6'4 and I'm 5'7. We are also trying to decide whether or not to cut an opening for the hinge and set it down a little further.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this.  Off the top of my head I think they're both somewhere around 29" x 29".  I'll try to take more measurements and pictures when I get home.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • jimithing
    Options
    NJ_BBQ said:
    Rosco902 said:
    I need to ask a dumb question, what's the purpose of the section of granite? Is it for placing a hot platesetter?

I am planning to build a a table and was planning on having a removable carving board and now am wondering if I need to plan for a section of granite as well.

The one under the egg or on top of the table?  The one under the egg is just added protection from the heat of the egg vs the wood.  The egg nest should provide enough protection but I just wanted to be extra safe.

The granite on top is a place to set hot stuff like plates with food that just came off the grill.  I also put my tongs and spatulas on there while I'm cooking.  It's easier to clean grease off the granite than wood and it doesn't get dented/marked up from things constantly being moved on and off it.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX