Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - What did I do wrong?

Options
outdoorsmin
outdoorsmin Posts: 58
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
I have had my large egg for about a month. Have only been cooking chicken and steaks so far trying to get used to using the BGE and the temp controls. I tried making some ribs last weekend, the ribs where good I used a dry rub only (Bone sucking dry rub and Blues Hog) and I have never had ribs this way, not sure I could eat them any other way now.  I did seal the ribs with olive oil also.  However I think I have a lot of room for improvement. I am having my family over for fathers day and want to make some killer ribs with dry rub only.

For starters I cleaned the BGE completely, and made sure my gaps and alignments were correct with the bottom ceramic and palce-setter. I then added Rockwood lump larger pieces at the bottom and added 3 pieces of wood (1 apple and 2 hickory). The pieces of wood seemed very large, I think I will cut them in half next time. My concerns:

1. It took forever to stop smoking. I believe I put the ribs on two early, about 30 mins after temp steadied at 275. About 1.5 hrs in the BGE stopped smoking the heavy smoke. I tried reading on what is good smoke and what is bad. I figured once the pieces of wood started on fire there would be a good amount of smoke? Should I wait until the smoke is a clear blue next time? About how long does this usually take?

2. I only burnt up one piece of wood. The other two pieces are at least half left (see photo below). I am assuming the one piece of wood smoked for the first 1.5 hrs and then that's where the smoked stopped when the first piece burnt up? And the other two pieces didn't burn? Also you see it looks like only the middle part of lump really got going, does this look correct?

3. I placed both half racks of ribs away from the hot spot, and per the picture below the one half rack I think was too done. I cooked the ribs at between 265 and 280 for 4 hours making small adjustments to keep in desired temperature zone. How come the one rack was so done? Did I put to much rub on the one? I put the thicker part of the ribs down also.

Sorry my post is hard to read and follow and thank you for your help.  - Troy

Comments

• Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I think that you need to experiment to get the ribs they way you want them to taste like. Creating good barbecue is like getting ready for Carnegie Hall, practice, practice, practice. I like to marinate the ribs in Worcestershire sauce before I put them on, and being originally from Kentucky, I only use Hickory. There is no right or wrong way. It's what tastes good to you. I can suggest that you might try making your own rub. It's a lot less expensive, and it works just as well.

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    In addition to the plate setter that I use in the inverted orientation I place the ribs on a cheap oven broiler pan (The kind that you usually get when you buy a new oven) I add water or apple juice to the pan to help keep the ribs moist.
    I also cook the ribs at 250 Deg.
    From my experience I don't normally see that much of the bone ends exposed when my ribs are done. I see around 3/8 inch at the most exposed.
    When you cook at low temps you will not see all the lump burn. If you did have all of it burning you would be cooking at to high of a temperature.
    Also it is common for the thicker end of the rib section to take considerably longer to cook as compared to the small end (hope this makes sense) I compensate for this difference by either starting the thick portion earlier or pulling the smaller section off earlier at the end of the cook. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hey brother, my learning curve on my lg egg was about six months. Trust me when I say I ruined a lot of meat trying to get a hang of this darn thing. 3 yrs later, I got an excellent handle on it. I now feel very confident. Believe me when I say, I remember when I was I your shoes. I can still remember the first bit of advice I got from a fellow egger here on the forum, and I'd like to share it with you, he told me, 'don't overthink your cooks' ... 'Keep it simple and be patient, it'll eventually all come together' ... Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    First off welcome to the forum!

With respect to your unburned lump and wood - your picture looks fine to me. It is not uncommon for some of the smoking wood and much of the lump (depending on how much you start with) to not be consumed on a shorter cook like ribs. Just remember that the wood chunks are there when you do your next cook and, to remove them if whatever you're cooking does not require smoke.

As for the doneness... it's hard to tell from the pic how much "more" done the 1/2 rack on the left might be. Looks like you got about the same amount of pullback. Were the ribs on that rack dried out or just the difference in the color? 

For what it's worth, dry rub is the only way I do my ribs.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something. What did you not like about fe ribs themselves?  Taste, texture?

welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of help. 
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    I do lower temps for longer time.  I usually do 225* for about 6 hours
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Look up the 3-2-1 method for ribs
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I too prefer dry ribs, but I do like having a little warm sauce on the side.

Some questions to clarify:

Did you cook the ribs directly. That is, nothing to block the exposure to the glow from the lump?

If so, at what level did you cook. With the grill on the fire ring? Or up Higher, closer to the felt line?

It is possible to cook ribs direct, but they require more care to keep from burning. Yours look sort of toasted.

Some observations:

Don't waste olive oil. The olive flavor cooks away. Use something cheaper like canola or safflower, which have negligible flavor and a higher smoke point.

You were right, you probably used too much wood. I rarely use more than an amount I could fit in my hand.

Fires tend to burn down the middle, but just as often there will be random hot spots. If you are cooking direct at whatever level, the food will need to be moved around, and flipped to compensate for the uneven heat.

The "bad" smoke is thick and white. I find that if I am cooking in the 250 range, it takes at least another 20 minutes for it to fade away. Sometimes, considerably longer. Once it is mostly gone, its OK to put the food in. During the earlier parts of a long cook, you will probably see thin wisps of that is generally called blue smoke. Farther along, there may be no smoke visible at all, but that is OK. The wood is just baking away into aromatic vapors.

As others have said, it takes some time to get used to how the Egg works. While my ribs improved right away when I started cooking them in an Egg, it took me maybe 9 months to get them where I thought they were better than the average commercial offering, and another 6 months to get that quality reliably.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Yeah I'm still getting used to when the bad smoke goes away and @gdenby above laid out a potential issue you encountered in not allowing enough time. I'd recommend looking into some of the other methods laid out in this forum. I've only done ribs twice and they were always done earlier than I expected, maybe due to inconsistent heat spots? Regardless, they looked pretty good to my untrained eye. Good luck and welcome, this place replaces the need for any Egg cookbook for sure!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• outdoorsmin
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something. What did you not like about fe ribs themselves?  Taste, texture?

welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of help. 

The ribs that weren't totally overdone I thought where very good, but remember this was my first exposure to dry rubs. 

The half rack in the left on my picture where pretty well done, the meat flavor seemed to be ok but the bark was almost to thick and overwelming and the ribs seem to shrink quite a bit more. 
  • outdoorsmin
    outdoorsmin Posts: 58
    edited June 2015
    Options

gdenby said:
    I too prefer dry ribs, but I do like having a little warm sauce on the side.

Some questions to clarify:

Did you cook the ribs directly. That is, nothing to block the exposure to the glow from the lump? I cooked indirect, I used a placesetter (legs up), drip pan then grate. 

If so, at what level did you cook. With the grill on the fire ring? Or up Higher, closer to the felt line? The grate was on the placesetter, but probably about 6 inches below the felt line. Is this to low?  I do have a  PSWoo2 Extender maybe I should use this to get a more desired position on the BGE for ribs?

It is possible to cook ribs direct, but they require more care to keep from burning. Yours look sort of toasted. Agreed on the toasted part.

Some observations:

Don't waste olive oil. The olive flavor cooks away. Use something cheaper like canola or safflower, which have negligible flavor and a higher smoke point. Sounds good, I will use canola. 

You were right, you probably used too much wood. I rarely use more than an amount I could fit in my hand. I will use less wood, maybe chop the chunks into smaller pieces also. 

Fires tend to burn down the middle, but just as often there will be random hot spots. If you are cooking direct at whatever level, the food will need to be moved around, and flipped to compensate for the uneven heat. 

The "bad" smoke is thick and white. I find that if I am cooking in the 250 range, it takes at least another 20 minutes for it to fade away. Sometimes, considerably longer. Once it is mostly gone, its OK to put the food in. During the earlier parts of a long cook, you will probably see thin wisps of that is generally called blue smoke. Farther along, there may be no smoke visible at all, but that is OK. The wood is just baking away into aromatic vapors. I am confused a little by using wood. So we are smoking the ribs with the wood however I should wait to put my meat on just like I would with a steak and just lump, wait until the smoke is gone/blue smoke?

As others have said, it takes some time to get used to how the Egg works. While my ribs improved right away when I started cooking them in an Egg, it took me maybe 9 months to get them where I thought they were better than the average commercial offering, and another 6 months to get that quality reliably. I bet your ribs are awesome, what rubs are you using?  I just bought some Meat Church, Dizzy Pig, Bone Sucking Rub and Blues Hog. I cant decide which one to use next. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate, so will my father :)

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited June 2015
    Options
    One more question, with the platesetter in, the grid should be just below the felt. You said like six inches. Did you take the fire ring out?

looks like it's out in that lump pic
  • gdenby
    Options
    As above, the grill should have been at the felt line. If the setter was on the fire box, it might have blocked some airflow, and would have become very hot. Not as hot as direct fire, but the meat was probably in a much warmer place than what the dome temp showed.

Put the lump in, put the wood in. For medium duration cooks, I just plop a pile in the middle, for longer cooks, I mix thru the lump. Light. I use a weed burner, which makes things quick. I leave the dome open till I'm sure I have a couple spots glowing, then put in whatever gear I'm using for that cook. Typically, I just have an empty drip pan on a lower grill, and cook on a raised grill above it.Close dome, leave Daisy off, bottom open wide. Give it 10 - 15 min to reach 200F, then shut the vents to approximately where I expect a dome of 250 - 275. Let the temp rise to near that, tweak the vents if needed. Usually another 10 - 15 till the heavy smoke clears. Food on, then go away for a couple of hours. Check temp, tweak if necessary. At 4 hours for BBs, 5 hours for spares, peek in and see how things are going. If dry and or uneven, paint on a little more oil, and shift the food. Maybe add a bit more rub, or just a sprinkle of sugar in the last few minutes.

Rubs are a matter of taste. Mostly I dislike ones w. too much salt. And having them fresh is always a big plus. I've used Blues Hog, and liked it. Bone Sucking, I wasn't as impressed as most folks. Haven't tried Meat Church.

I've been working on my own rub off and on. Nothing to write home about yet. Typically I start w. DP Dizzy Dust, which seems all purpose to me, and add various things as I like.

My big discovery last year was that adding a light "finish" rub towards the end with fresh ground black pepper added gave a good boost to flavor.
  • outdoorsmin
    Options
    One more question, with the platesetter in, the grid should be just below the felt. You said like six inches. Did you take the fire ring out? Fire Ring was in, I will have to double check my "6 Inches" when I get home tonight. 

looks like it's out in that lump pic I filled the lump to the bottom of the fire ring or a little lower, not enough?

• outdoorsmin
    Options

gdenby said:
    As above, the grill should have been at the felt line. If the setter was on the fire box, it might have blocked some airflow, and would have become very hot. Not as hot as direct fire, but the meat was probably in a much warmer place than what the dome temp showed. Ok, I had the firebox, firering and placesetter in. 

Put the lump in, put the wood in. For medium duration cooks, I just plop a pile in the middle, for longer cooks, I mix thru the lump. Light. I use a weed burner, which makes things quick. I leave the dome open till I'm sure I have a couple spots glowing, then put in whatever gear I'm using for that cook. Typically, I just have an empty drip pan on a lower grill, and cook on a raised grill above it.Close dome, leave Daisy off, bottom open wide. Give it 10 - 15 min to reach 200F, then shut the vents to approximately where I expect a dome of 250 - 275. Let the temp rise to near that, tweak the vents if needed. Usually another 10 - 15 till the heavy smoke clears. Food on, then go away for a couple of hours. Check temp, tweak if necessary. At 4 hours for BBs, 5 hours for spares, peek in and see how things are going. If dry and or uneven, paint on a little more oil, and shift the food. Maybe add a bit more rub, or just a sprinkle of sugar in the last few minutes. Think I am going to try a lower temp as you suggested keep it close to 250. 

Rubs are a matter of taste. Mostly I dislike ones w. too much salt. And having them fresh is always a big plus. I've used Blues Hog, and liked it. Bone Sucking, I wasn't as impressed as most folks. Haven't tried Meat Church.

I've been working on my own rub off and on. Nothing to write home about yet. Typically I start w. DP Dizzy Dust, which seems all purpose to me, and add various things as I like.

My big discovery last year was that adding a light "finish" rub towards the end with fresh ground black pepper added gave a good boost to flavor. This sounds like a good idea. With about 30-45 mins left you do this?

• gdenby
    Options
    Yes, about 30 - 45 min. What I've noticed is that black pepper, most paprika and herbs lose their flavor after cooking for several hours. Garlic and onion loose their pungency. So a little bit more stuff at the end makes the flavor more distinct.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    I have had my large egg for about a month. Have only been cooking chicken and steaks so far trying to get used to using the BGE and the temp controls. I tried making some ribs last weekend, the ribs where good I used a dry rub only (Bone sucking dry rub and Blues Hog) and I have never had ribs this way, not sure I could eat them any other way now.  I did seal the ribs with olive oil also.  However I think I have a lot of room for improvement. I am having my family over for fathers day and want to make some killer ribs with dry rub only.

For starters I cleaned the BGE completely, and made sure my gaps and alignments were correct with the bottom ceramic and palce-setter. I then added Rockwood lump larger pieces at the bottom and added 3 pieces of wood (1 apple and 2 hickory). The pieces of wood seemed very large, I think I will cut them in half next time. My concerns:

1. It took forever to stop smoking. I believe I put the ribs on two early, about 30 mins after temp steadied at 275. About 1.5 hrs in the BGE stopped smoking the heavy smoke. I tried reading on what is good smoke and what is bad. I figured once the pieces of wood started on fire there would be a good amount of smoke? Should I wait until the smoke is a clear blue next time? About how long does this usually take?

2. I only burnt up one piece of wood. The other two pieces are at least half left (see photo below). I am assuming the one piece of wood smoked for the first 1.5 hrs and then that's where the smoked stopped when the first piece burnt up? And the other two pieces didn't burn? Also you see it looks like only the middle part of lump really got going, does this look correct?

3. I placed both half racks of ribs away from the hot spot, and per the picture below the one half rack I think was too done. I cooked the ribs at between 265 and 280 for 4 hours making small adjustments to keep in desired temperature zone. How come the one rack was so done? Did I put to much rub on the one? I put the thicker part of the ribs down also.

Sorry my post is hard to read and follow and thank you for your help.  - Troy
    Try this
    http://grillingandsmoking.blogspot.com/2015/03/smoked-baby-back-ribs.html

Ross
  • MediumRarely
    MediumRarely Posts: 270
    Options

Here are a couple of nice recipes - there are many.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/recipes/2014/09/tuffy-stones-ribs/

http://yeticoolers.com/pages/blog/low-slow-spare-ribs/

Keep it simple, it's really a process - not a "recipe".  Develop your own process to get your desired result (practice....).  Once you achieve this, you can experiment.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    It took me close to a year to nail my BB ribs. I was used to a bullet water smoker and I was over cooking my BB's. I started with the 6 hr cook and am now down to 4 hrs. Spares take longer though. Ribs were the hardest for me on the egg.
    Keep at it, If you aren't comfortable with the ribs, cook a pork butt for Fathers Day.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I am confused a little by using wood. So we are smoking the ribs with the wood however I should wait to put my meat on just like I would with a steak and just lump, wait until the smoke is gone/blue smoke?
    You're right that there's a little contradiction, there.  Imagine the lump alone, for a moment, with no wood chunks at all.  Most lump charcoal (my BGE lump, for example) will give off a heavy white smoke for a little while that doesn't smell as nice as the rest of the cook, so yeah, with no wood chunks, you'd wait till the really visible white smoke is mostly gone, and it's mostly light blue smoke.

But if wood chunks are really going, they'll give off some smoke that's not always blue, and can look a bit like the "bad" smoke most lump gives off for a while when it's straight out of the bag.  Usually, for a low and slow cook, even with wood chunks there's still a very noticeable difference between the very thick white "bad smoke" and when that's gone, usually after 10 or 20 minutes.  If there's a lot of wood in there, there might still be some whitish smoke, but it's a LOT less.  AND it smells good!

I like really smoky pork and beef, so I like to add a lot of wood, and the last time I did ribs, I took someone's suggestion and did this:
    1. Light the fire with NO plate setter and NO wood chunks.  Both vents wide open.
    2. When the dome temp gets up to the desired temp (in my case last time, about 200), close the vents down to what'll probably keep the temp there.
    3. Watch and wait till the white smoke is gone, or mostly so, tweaking the vents as necessary to get the temp right.
    4. THEN when the bad smoke is gone, open it up, take out the grate, add the wood chunks, placing them according to where the fire is, THEN add the Plate Setter and the grid. Close it up, let the temp get back to the desired dome temp (it didn't take long at all), and then
    5. Put on the ribs.
    It worked like a charm!  My wood wasn't wasted, burning during the "bad smoke" period, it was obvious when the "bad smoke" was gone, and I could place the wood right where I wanted it relative to where the fire was burning, and I got visible smoke from the wood (but MUCH less than the "bad smoke) for a really long time.

Now, I've heard some people say that putting a non-hot Plate Setter over a fire risks cracking it, and that it's better to put it in when the fire is first lit, but I've done that a few times, at least, with no problem, and in a low-and slow the fire isn't really very hot.  Maybe some others here have some experience about this, pro or con.

Anyway, the bottom line is that you're right, lump that came straight out of the bag can cause unpleasant thick white smoke, and wood chunks can cause also make white smoke, but it's lighter and it's pleasant smoke.  The two differences are (a) the "bad smoke" tends to be very thick, and when it's gone there's a big decrease in how much smoke, and (b) the whole point about "bad smoke" is that it doesn't smell very good (or make the food taste very good).  So you can tell the difference that way, too.

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Lots of good advise above.  Remember smoking is an art.  I always have my fire started and temp stabilized at 225-250 for about 30 minutes before starting to cook.  Always have platesetter in to get it same temp.  If you put a cold platesetter in your temps will drop as it soaks up heat.  Once I have everything where I want it lift platesetter up with oven mitts, toss smoke wood on coals, load up the grate with meat, close, and monitor my temps accordingly.  Give it awhile as cold meat will even impact your temp display.  Once everything gets up to temp adjust your vents to your desired temp and let them alone.  If you are lookin' you ain't cookin.  Back ribs 3.5-4 hours, sides give or take 6 hours.  Keep at it, you'll nail it next time.  Best of luck
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Turbo ribs. The only way to go imho
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Theophan, don't worry about the plate setter, Iv'e done this at -30 and never had an issue.I even removed it hot and had no where to put it down except in the snow once and its still fine
  • Theophan
    Options
    poster said:
    Theophan, don't worry about the plate setter, Iv'e done this at -30 and never had an issue.I even removed it hot and had no where to put it down except in the snow once and its still fine
    Holy TOLEDO!!!  I can't imagine a ceramic object going from a hot egg to snow and not shattering.  Amazing!  And reassuring -- thanks!
  • outdoorsmin
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I am confused a little by using wood. So we are smoking the ribs with the wood however I should wait to put my meat on just like I would with a steak and just lump, wait until the smoke is gone/blue smoke?
    You're right that there's a little contradiction, there.  Imagine the lump alone, for a moment, with no wood chunks at all.  Most lump charcoal (my BGE lump, for example) will give off a heavy white smoke for a little while that doesn't smell as nice as the rest of the cook, so yeah, with no wood chunks, you'd wait till the really visible white smoke is mostly gone, and it's mostly light blue smoke.

But if wood chunks are really going, they'll give off some smoke that's not always blue, and can look a bit like the "bad" smoke most lump gives off for a while when it's straight out of the bag.  Usually, for a low and slow cook, even with wood chunks there's still a very noticeable difference between the very thick white "bad smoke" and when that's gone, usually after 10 or 20 minutes.  If there's a lot of wood in there, there might still be some whitish smoke, but it's a LOT less.  AND it smells good!

I like really smoky pork and beef, so I like to add a lot of wood, and the last time I did ribs, I took someone's suggestion and did this:
    1. Light the fire with NO plate setter and NO wood chunks.  Both vents wide open.
    2. When the dome temp gets up to the desired temp (in my case last time, about 200), close the vents down to what'll probably keep the temp there.
    3. Watch and wait till the white smoke is gone, or mostly so, tweaking the vents as necessary to get the temp right.
    4. THEN when the bad smoke is gone, open it up, take out the grate, add the wood chunks, placing them according to where the fire is, THEN add the Plate Setter and the grid. Close it up, let the temp get back to the desired dome temp (it didn't take long at all), and then
    5. Put on the ribs.
    It worked like a charm!  My wood wasn't wasted, burning during the "bad smoke" period, it was obvious when the "bad smoke" was gone, and I could place the wood right where I wanted it relative to where the fire was burning, and I got visible smoke from the wood (but MUCH less than the "bad smoke) for a really long time.

Now, I've heard some people say that putting a non-hot Plate Setter over a fire risks cracking it, and that it's better to put it in when the fire is first lit, but I've done that a few times, at least, with no problem, and in a low-and slow the fire isn't really very hot.  Maybe some others here have some experience about this, pro or con.

Anyway, the bottom line is that you're right, lump that came straight out of the bag can cause unpleasant thick white smoke, and wood chunks can cause also make white smoke, but it's lighter and it's pleasant smoke.  The two differences are (a) the "bad smoke" tends to be very thick, and when it's gone there's a big decrease in how much smoke, and (b) the whole point about "bad smoke" is that it doesn't smell very good (or make the food taste very good).  So you can tell the difference that way, too.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will definitely start my cook of this way next time.  

So if I add the wood correctly in my lump I should get the wood "good" smoke all throughout my cook? 

• Theophan
    Options

So if I add the wood correctly in my lump I should get the wood "good" smoke all throughout my cook? 
    Yes.  But in all of my long cooks there's been more visible smoke for the first few hours than later in the cook.  I think most people find that a big portion of long cooks there's either very faint blue smoke or no visible smoke at all.  People have different strategies for trying to make smoke continue throughout the cook, some combining chips all throughout the lump plus chunks at different places in the lump.  I won't claim to be an expert.  I LOVED the food I cooked when I first got my BGEs several years ago, and it's only kept getting better as I keep learning.  It may sound nerdy (and I gotta admit, OK, OK, I am a nerd :)) but I find that keeping a journal of my cooks, and what I've tried and how it went, what went well and what didn't go so well, has been really, really helpful to me.  Might be an idea.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ...  It may sound nerdy (and I gotta admit, OK, OK, I am a nerd :)) but I find that keeping a journal of my cooks, and what I've tried and how it went, what went well and what didn't go so well, has been really, really helpful to me.  Might be an idea.
    I would suggest that, if you plan on improving much beyond basics, that taking notes is a necessity.  Can't tell you how many times I've gone back to look at my notes and noticed some forgotten detail.

I scratch down notes as the cook is progressing and then type up a better "journal" entry later that night ... that includes a few lines on what to try next to improve the cook.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I keep notes on recipes I cook - what worked and what didn't. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • outdoorsmin
    Options
    Theophan said:

It may sound nerdy (and I gotta admit, OK, OK, I am a nerd :)) but I find that keeping a journal of my cooks, and what I've tried and how it went, what went well and what didn't go so well, has been really, really helpful to me.  Might be an idea

Good Idea. I should start doing this. To many beers then I get a bad memory of what worked and didn't work!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Not to worry.....it takes time to become one with your egg. Make a few adjustments and have at it again!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow