Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My egg is out of alignment!

Options
I have replaced my gasket on my XL egg.  After replacing I noticed that the lid of the egg is off from the bottom portion of the egg. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them back into alignment? I have tried adjusting some of the screws but I was afraid to do to much with it for fear of messing it up more! Thanks for any suggestions!
James, Louisville KY

Comments

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    There are several methods posted here that help...the best I used was to detach the springs... loosen all bolts on hinge assm...adjust your lid where you want it...then tighten the bolts and replace springs ......GL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    55drum said:
    There are several methods posted here that help...the best I used was to detach the springs... loosen all bolts on hinge assm...adjust your lid where you want it...then tighten the bolts and replace springs ......GL
    +1.  I had to do this earlier this year.  Open the lid, remove the springs, close the lid slowly and loosen the nuts on the side where you see a slotted opening.  Now move the lid back into place where it looks even all the way around.  After you do that, tighten the nuts back up, open the lid and reattach the springs.  The springs should slide out after you take the the little rubber caps off, but I found it easier to just un bolt them.  I hope this works for you.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    Agree with drum here, if you still have the white pieces that came with your hinge system, put those back on so the hinge doesn't pop open (can use zip ties) loosen your bolts, realign and then tighten back.
    Birmingham, AL
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    When I was adjusting mine a while back the springs broke. 
  • SBakerPhoto
    Options
    My XLBGE top/bottom always seems to be out of alignment, usually an underbite. I looked at some of the discussions about the KJ Big Joe and the bands - hinge on it. The KJBJ seems have a much better setup. Has anyone tried to use the KJBJ hinge and bands on the XLBGE?
    Bay Area, CA     XLBGE
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Put HD zip ties on the hinge, loosen top nuts, you'll be able to move the dome. Go to front of egg and the the dome forward to the position you want. Have a second person apply pressure (downward) to the top of dome (so it won't move) re-tighten nuts.

This is what I did and IT WORKS!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    The XL is different than the Large.  Easy to remove springs if you even need to, you may be able to loosen the top band bolt and lift the dome 2/3 inches and pull forward.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SBakerPhoto
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I have tried the zip tie method and have even machined the bolt slots more so I can move the top forward somewhat. Still no success. Perhaps my bands/hinges have to much "play" in them.
    Bay Area, CA     XLBGE
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    I have a large with a chronic underbite. I called and spoke to the mothership. I was told that the new high temp gaskets caused some underbite. May not be the case with yours but I guess it's possible. Although not sure how. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    My XL has a small underbite after several attempts loosening / resetting the bands. I have no smoke leaking and the gaskets aren't getting burned up, so I'm leaving it as-is.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS