Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MM is becoming a pain in my a$$

Options
I've lurked a long time but I don't post much. Everyone else has it covered -however. I've owned an XL for a couple years and love the thing. I can't imagine life without it.  Sooo I bought a MM for a nice complaint to it but I'd like to throw it in the river! I haven't had anything good off if it , temp control sucks on this thing.  I guess my question is do I have to upgrade to a KAB or some other new bottom grate to control temp. Calling out to all of the pros here. 
Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015

Comments

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I've got mini thru xl so out of 6 eggs mini max and small are my least favorites especially when using platesetter.I've seen all the great reviews but I still have my opinion ad well.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @Turk2011 I'm just like you.  I've had an XL for years and love it.  Added a Mini Max for portability and smaller cooks.
    While I've made some amazing steaks, etc on the Mini Max.  I haven't attempted a low and slow on it.  Only reason being is my Mini Max runs hot!  I'm not sure I can get the temp below 300 degrees on it for any length of time.  I need to mess around with it a bit more.
    Maybe @NPHuskerFL and other Mini Max owners can chime in with some more help and detail.  I just wanted to post and let you know that you're not alone.  I think there's a bit more of a learning curve with the Mini Max than there was with my XL.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    It's different. Thats all. I had several disasters with the factory platesetter. The woo is a big improvement. I also cut the legs off the platesetter for ease of use. It will go 230-250 for 8 plus hrs. It'll go 300ish for 4-5. I love mine but there's definitely a learning curve. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    I use the woo and pizza stone from css and can hold 250-275 for at least an hour for a reverse sear. Done this with both the kab and hi-que
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I agree with @Jeremiah The settings I became so used to with my L would not work on the MM. But I was able to hold it at 235 for 10 hours, and think it could have went longer, but the lump around the very outside edge didn't light. Now that I've played with it and upgraded to a Woo with the stone, I've been quite happy with it.  I think the 10" stone in lieu of the PS gives just enough better air flow to hold the low temps. 
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Agree with all above it is a pain in some ways.
    Seattle, WA
  • Turk2011
    Turk2011 Posts: 65
    Options
    I've got the woo setup for both of mine great product but not what I'm having an issue with. I can't seem to get over 400-425ish to sear and can't hold 250ish either.  I've even had the fire go out several times.  Not sure it's for me but I don't want to believe it can hear me either.  
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Different, yes. But I love it. I mainly use it for hot direct cooks but have done a 10lb butt at 250 ish for 9 hrs. Still had half the lump left. What works for me is to start with the thing slap full of lump. Like over full. But I'm sure there are other techniques. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • tbst
    tbst Posts: 43
    Options
    I never use the adjustable on top as it seems to over complicate things for the mini. I just use the bottom vent. Works wonderfully. 
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Turk2011 said:
    I've got the woo setup for both of mine great product but not what I'm having an issue with. I can't seem to get over 400-425ish to sear and can't hold 250ish either.  I've even had the fire go out several times.  Not sure it's for me but I don't want to believe it can hear me either.  
    If it does end up in a river, could you kindly forward me those GPS coordinates? Thanks!!  In all seriousness, I hope you figure it out. This guy has become my daily driver. 
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Woo, stone, hi que, naked on top. 300 and up no prob. Haven't done much below that. 
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    tbst said:
    I never use the adjustable on top as it seems to over complicate things for the mini. I just use the bottom vent. Works wonderfully. 
    +1. I can hold 250 steady without the daisy wheel.   I don't think the mm is any harder to control than my L just different like others said. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @YEMTrey I'm no eggspert by any means. Are they all eggs?...Yup...does each one behave a little differently?... Yup
    Pretty much anything over 300℉ I leave the DFMT off. I've done many cooks at L&S temps with good success. Just like any egg it's easier to catch the temp on the rise and stabilize than to let it go and play chase forever and a day. You'll get it down. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Turk2011
    Turk2011 Posts: 65
    Options
    @ Greeno55. It probably won't make it to the river. Tanerrite seems like more fun.   
    So no daisy wheel and just use the bottom vent is the answer to ally problems?  
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Love my MM it is different than my large. But wouldn't trade it. I cook a lot for myself works like a champ. Holds temp just like the large.