Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First reverse sear - lesson learned

Options
I did my first reverse sear with some steaks from Costco. Used the Stoker to monitor the meat for the indirect cook (reached 115 much faster than expected @ 250).

The mistake was using the Woo3 inverted to lower the grill near the coals for the final searing. Flames immediately kicked up charring much of the meat; the CI grill also added to the charring as well. 

It wasn't a total failure, just a lesson learned. The steak were perfect medium-rare throughout but just a bit too much char taste in parts. 

What height should the grill be at for the final searing?

Thanks
Bill

Bill
Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    That crust looks pretty fantastic to me. I get down as low as I can. But I like a good crust on it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    When I do my reverse sear I usually put the steaks on the grid at the top of the ring (ie normal position). I don't have a Woo so I am not sure how low that is over the fire. I try to get the temp to about 750-800° for the sear. Hope this helps, it is always fun to experiment, you get to eat the results B)

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    looks like you have lots of unlit lump, so your fire was really concentrated in one spot that was smaller than where your steaks are - so you had searing at different rates across that grid.  I think you may want to rake the coals around a bit when you pull the steaks initially to spread the fire out and maybe let it develop a little more.
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    When I do my reverse sear I usually put the steaks on the grid at the top of the ring (ie normal position). I don't have a Woo so I am not sure how low that is over the fire. I try to get the temp to about 750-800° for the sear. Hope this helps, it is always fun to experiment, you get to eat the results B)

Cheers,
    The picture was after the first flip, 30 seconds into the searing. It was the end of the bag so I loaded more lump than usual so with the inverted Woo the grill was 1-2" above the coals.

I think I'll try your approach of raising the grill and temp (I heated up to 600 for the searing).
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Finishing the steaks directly on the lump(caveman) will prevent flare ups. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    Legume said:
    looks like you have lots of unlit lump, so your fire was really concentrated in one spot that was smaller than where your steaks are - so you had searing at different rates across that grid.  I think you may want to rake the coals around a bit when you pull the steaks initially to spread the fire out and maybe let it develop a little more.
    Experienced advice like this is why I love this forum, thank you!
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Legume said:
    This, I've had this happen before, need to be patient to get an even fire. I've always done mine at normal height. I'll eat those steaks if you don't find any takers.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    How about searing them on a legs up cast iron plate setter?

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you are searing that close to the coals, you don't need the temp to be that hot as compared to the temp as when you are cooking direct or raised direct. The dome temp may be 600, but the source around 2 feet away will be more than double that. If am searing right by the coals, I'll keep the dome temp around 500. If I am searing at grid level, 650-700+. Searing on a CI skillet changes this even further.
  • djmsalem
    djmsalem Posts: 46
    Options
    My reverse-sear steaks always look burned beyond recognition on the outside and are perfect rare to medium-rare inside. I cut them at least 2 1/2 inches thick, and when I've gotten them to just about serving temperature I take them off, get the Egg as hot as I can -- 700 plus -- and let 'em go for a minute or so on each side. They come off a lot crustier than your beauties.

If your steaks are still too charred for you I don't think I'd go higher from the coals, just sear for a shorter time.

The point is to just put the color you want on them, not cook them further, which is what going higher in the dome is likely to do.
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, CyberQ, Ash Kicker, SmokeWare SS Chimney Top
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I don't worry about dome temp for the sear.  The sear can even be done lid open.  As Legume pointed out, my goal is to get a big area of glowing coals so that all of the steaks sear uniformly. 

If I've got 5 on the CI grid sitting in the Woo in my XL, I need a big area of glowing coals and it's f-ing hot down there.  Time to break out the BBQ glove when flipping them or it becomes instant hair removal. :)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Air temp is not really important. Fully burning lump is. Air temp is just a way to gauge if the lump may be ready.  Close to the lump, not farther away. I prefer a thin wire grate, or cave man, rather than cast iron.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I reverse sear prock hops, chicken, steaks, etc....

I sear with the grid at the normal grid height (about 3 or 4 inches below the felt.

I use a lot less charcol than you do though. I fill it about 1/3 full.  Cook nice and slow then open the vents up and all of the charcoal catches within minutes.  Usually sear in the 500-700 degree range for about one minute per side.  Like someone else said, I dont pay as much attention to the temperature as I do watching the coals making sure they are all lit and glowing.  

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Air temp is not really important. Fully burning lump is. Air temp is just a way to gauge if the lump may be ready.  Close to the lump, not farther away. I prefer a thin wire grate, or cave man, rather than cast iron.

This is my approach as well.  Also, some folks just don't like as much char as others.  You will need to find the perfect amount of char for you and your family.  I say less lump with meat down low.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options

Agree 100%. I also like a uniform crust, and find that using the cast iron griddle for searing works well to accomplish that. See this post - might be a bit too dark for your liking, but it's right where I like my crust. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168442/the-ribeye-and-i-finally-took-the-plunge

Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    To me, the ideal is a dark brown crust on 100% of the surface without any black burnt areas. I have never got there yet, but keep trying! 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokinPacificNW
    Options
    I learned this exact lesson this week... Best steak I have produced on the egg so far but having them on the CI grid on the spider near the lump was too hot (egg was really ripping which probably contributed). Ended up moving them up on the rig but it was already too late and they ended up slightly too charred for the wife. Next time I will stick with ring height and the steel grid!
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Totally agree with @jtcBoynton. Nuclear fire, thin factory grate, keep the steaks moving. IMHO you want the whole steak covered with that mahogany perfection, not grill marks. 
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE