Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Healthy recipes???

Options
EGGs N@
EGGs N@ Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a newbie egger I am enjoying all of foods that I have been able to cook on my EGG (Pizza, Steaks, Burgers, Ribs). Having said that Wifie and I continue to fight the battle to eat on the healthier side; does anyone have any healthier recipes that taste great on the egg?

Comments

• EGGs N@
    Options
    Or is it just plain ole WRONG to be asking this kind of question on the fourm.... :laugh:

Dennis
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Dennis,

Pretty much anything you can cook in the kitchen, you can do on the egg. Have yourself a veggie night, and see how much it improves the flavors of each. I'm not a dieter, but I would say simply scaling back a bit on the fatty stuff and incorporate more of the said vegies, you'll both be happy and healthier. ;)

I've had non-squash eaters rave about Butternut and all I did was egg it with a little DP ;) (thanks Chris) :P
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    did this one stove top before getting a spider to wok in the egg. things like this can stink out the kitchen and are much better to do out doors. lots of wok recipes out there ;)
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=392243&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cpowers
    cpowers Posts: 9
    Options
    We eat healthy and use the egg for most meals. I get the seasoned turkey & pork tenderloins at Sams and they are delicious and juicy. Just pull them off 10-15 degrees before fully cooked. Also pretty much any seasoning tastes great on chicken breasts...we put them on salads or do tacos. That's the great thing about the egg....the flavors are better and lean meats are so juicy they don't make you feel like you are eating lean.
  • cpowers
    cpowers Posts: 9
    Options
    We eat healthy and use the egg for most meals. I get the seasoned turkey & pork tenderloins at Sams and they are delicious and juicy. Just pull them off 10-15 degrees before fully cooked. Also pretty much any seasoning tastes great on chicken breasts...we put them on salads or do tacos. That's the great thing about the egg....the flavors are better and lean meats are so juicy they don't make you feel like you are eating lean.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    There is a "weight loss forum" on this page which I imagine will give you some help, although I must admit I have never looked at it :laugh:
    Also, there are many adaptations of recipes that are low fat. One of my favorites is ClayQ's Pulled Pork Tenderloin. Tenderloin is nearly fat free, and this recipe is simple and provides a healthy alternative to pulled pork from butt or shoulder cuts.
    I have started making my own canadian bacon, again using loin or tenderloin, see "Our Nicky's Canadian Bacon" in the recipe section. Again. this is nearly fat free and much healthier than store-bought bacon.
    Chicken cooked on the egg renders most of the fat and is better for you than most.
    There are many possibilities, explore this forum, ask questions, you will be amazed B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    We do grilled pork tenderloin too. And marinated, boneless chicken breasts are great. They stay moist! When cooking either of those, we usually grill zucchini, onions and red peppers. Eggplant grills well too. And then there's corn. Peel back the husk and remove the silk. Make a slurry out of chili powder, honey and a little water. Slather this on the corn. Put the husk back into place and tie it at the tip with string. Grill for about 15 minutes, turning often.
    Paul
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Not sure what healthy means lately, I think if I eat three good meals a day, balanced diet, with protein, veggies and some carbs, all in moderation with some wine or cocktail I will be just fine,
    Plus mix in 30-60 minutes of good excersize a day and I am feeling pretty damn good.

Hardest part of exercise is putting on the shoes and getting to the gym,
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    I love marinating mushrooms and grilling those. If your looking for leaner meats obviously lots of guys enjoy chicken breasts and pork tenderloin.

But you may want to give ground turkey a shot. By wife snuck some in to a lasagna in lieu of ground beef and it was excellent. You can find a ton of different products made from ground turkey such as sausages, bratwursts and even burgers and I honestly enjoy all of them. And when your seeing how much difference in calories and fat content they have compared to traditional products you can eat well and feel guilt-free.

Or go simple and drizzle some olive oil (extra virgin or not) on some asparagus with salt and pepper and grill indirect at 450 for about 10 minutes. Throw some summer veggies in an aluminum foil packet with oil and either some dizzy pig seasoning or s&p and that is quite good.

Obviously I have been eating lighter then the standard 1lb t-bone and loaded baked potato, but the egg allows you to eat delicious, healthy foods.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    WE haven't put meat into our red sauce in a couple of years, if needed we will buy some italian Sausage or meatballs for those that want them. Ground Turkey is great in a homemade italian red sauce.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• bigmike55
    bigmike55 Posts: 39
    Options
    The burgers don't have to be unhealthy. I have made mine with 7% beef the past two times, and they still come out amazing.

You can also cook bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and then remove the skin. These come out great.

Also, try steak or fish. You don't have to do rib eyes. I plan to do salmon on a cedar plank this weekend.

Have fun :)
  • EGGs N@
    Options
    thanks to all that replied
  • mjfutures
    mjfutures Posts: 53
    Options
    I grill lots of chicken and then use it in various dishes, alone, salads, sandwiches, as a side with veggies, I think the key to anything is moderation and just being cognizance of what and how much ... if you are drinking 3-4 beers and over eating obviously you're going to pack on some pounds haha. I also run 15-30 miles per week which is great cause between that and not always over indulging I never have thought about weight. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    bigmike55 said:
    The burgers don't have to be unhealthy. I have made mine with 7% beef the past two times, and they still come out amazing.
    OK, I need some lessons, then.  I've never had a burger I liked at all unless it had 20% fat.  They just seem dry to me if the meat is lean (unless they're cooked pretty rare, which just isn't safe with ground meat).  What's your secret?  I'd actually be quite interested if there is a way to make burgers with lean beef that are actually edible.

Thanks!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't worry too much about "healthy." I don't think nutrition science has come so far as to define that.

Getting too many calories? Standard these days since we don't walk a couple of miles to work, or climb many flights of stairs. Much less spend a day following a mule and plow around a field. Just eat less, and always leave the table a little hungry. Not as easy as it might seem.

Stay away from transfats. When I grew up, hydrogenated vegetable oil margarine was considered "heart healthy." Not at all. Would have been better eating pies and cookies made w. lard.

Carbs bad? No, just processed ones. Sugar, sugar, sugar...

But I do admit to not eating enough greens. Or enough fermented vegetables.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Fish is better on the egg.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options

Try cabbage stew with pulled pork (either from loin or butt as you like.

4 stalks of celery--a large onion or 2 small ones cubed--1-2 teaspoons of garlic to taste--sauté in 2 tablespoons of butter and 2-3 tablespoon of low sodium ckn broth--sauté this -then ad one medium head of cabbage cut up and 2-3 more tablespoons of ckn broth and sauté for another 10-15 mins---add the rest of the can of chicken broth plus a can of diced or stewed tomatoes and some pulled pork and simmer for another 30 mins.   or use smoked ham instead of the pork.   Great with cornbread

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston