Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Pork - need suggestions

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi-
A new EGG owner here and love it!
I'm trying different meats and just bought an 8.5lb pork butt that I'd like to serve to guests tonight. What time should I begin to cook and at what tempeature? Any suggestions for seasonings?
I'd like to serve it like pulled pork BBQ at 6:30p or 7p.[p]THANKS![p]Chris

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chris,
    8.5 pounds of pork butt should take around 17 hours at 230-250 degrees with a final internal meat temperature of around 200 degrees, so you'd better get cracking! Usually, we do them overnight. You might try cooking it at a higher temperature than normal, and when you get closer to the end, raise the temperature even higher to get the butt to come out of the plateau, but if I were you, I'd plan on serving something else and leave the butt until you have adequate time to cook it. [p]See Elder Ward's writeup on pulled pork and my writeup of my first pulled pork at my website for guidelines on cooking pulled pork:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Pork Recipes[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BasementDwellingGeek
    Options
    Chris,[p]I'm a realative newbie here myself but I have learned that pulled pork, cooked low and slow (~225 degrees ) takes 2 to 2.5 hours a lb. I don't think you will be serving that tonight.[p]rb
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chris,
    One other thing you might try is to separate the butt into two 4-pound halves. If you get started right now, you might be able to get them done in time at low and slow temps.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Chris,
    Not sure pulled pork is a possibility for tonight. PP needs to be cooked lo and slo in the 250 deg F range for around 2 hrs/lb. when the internal temp reaches 195-205 most prople wrap and put in a cooler covered with towels for a few hours. Go to the link on the Whiz's site for an excellent pp discussion by Elder Ward.[p]Bob

[ul][li]Whiz's site[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Chris,
    ive never tried this, but i like the cutting it in half idea, also maybe start the cook at 300 and drop the temps down to 250 when the internal hits 140 degrees, raising it again when you hit about 180 internal. you may have to wrap in foil if it doesnt look like it will be done in time and jack the dome temps even higher. you better hurry cause i dont think you can get it done in under 8 hours. it typically takes me 14 hours to do one that size, but ive never tried to do one faster.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Chris,
    If you are cooking on the egg for guests this evening, change gears and cook a spatchcock chicken...[p]Butterfly by removing the backbone and flatten the bird out, rib bone side down. Rub with olive oil, then coat with your favorite seasonings. Cook on a raised grid at 350 bone side down until breast meat hits 160 (about 1 hour 10-40 minutes) - no flipping or checking necessary except for meat temps. Wrap in foil about 10 minutes to redistribute the juices, separate parts and serve.[p]I do not feel you would do a pork butt justice if you started this morning and expect spectacular results this evening. There is just not enough time to properly prepare and cook it to perfection, IMO.[p]Banker John

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Options
    Chris,
    I would sart thinking about pork tenderloins, they are a delicacy when done right on the egg, save the butt and put it on tonight, serve it tommorow night have another gathering assuming your on spring break, good luck