Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A.R. Slide Guide

Options

Good Afternoon Everyone...As I type this, I have two racks of ribs on my large egg. Because of the frustration with getting the two racks to fit on the original grate and the cheap folding leg, folding grate second level, I have decided to buy an A.R. I saw a video demonstration of the AR using the oval grate on the slide guide and it looked like it was the way to go. When reading the reviews for the AR customer combo, and the R&B oval, people spoke of several reasons why they liked whichever one they chose, but nobody seemed to comment on the ability to slide the top oval out of the way to access the lower rack. Is the slider not as good of an idea as it seems to me that it is? .......Thanks for the input

Franklinville, Western NY

Comments

• DoctorMojo
    DoctorMojo Posts: 126
    Options
    I have been researching this for a year or longer and I just don't know what to get that is best for me.  I called CGS and talked to them and although they were very helpful when they started talking extenders and slide guides and crossbars it lost me. I am going to watch this and hopefully you will get some good feedback.  Also I just talked to them last week and they said they will be having a price increase in the next couple of weeks.

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65
    Options
    I hope we get the info....at one point I was real confused...now I'm just a little confused. When people talk about the variations of products and the uses, they lose me. I'm not a guy who can visualize a description, I need to see the real thing....oh, thanks for the heads up on the price thing, I will be ordering something within two days.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I just bought everything. Two oval grids, a d grid, round and oval stones, 14 and 16 drip pad, two slides, extender. Now i can make any of the combos. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I think slide guide that comes standard is fine. One additional on the bottom tier if you do a 3 level cook, you have to pull the whole rig out so slide guide or just crossbar on the bottom is fine. I currently only have one slide guide, don't feel like I missing anything. Good gloves are key to rack swapping if needed.
    Seattle, WA
  • DoctorMojo
    DoctorMojo Posts: 126
    Options
    I think I need R&B combo, extender, and don't know if I need a d-grid with extender or oval grid and they have a special price for d-grid but not oval as an extender package don't know if I need more slide guides and crossbars or not.

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
     I use the d-grid with the extender also use 2 oval grids with slide guides. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have a round grid, an oval grid and slide, and the extender and D-grid.  I use a spider with a round stone for my deflector, because the oval stone takes a level on the AR.  If I'm doing ribs, I just use foil to shield the exposed ends of the ribs.  It all works great.

You're only going to be able to slide the oval grids on the top two levels (because they are higher than the gasket).  The sliding is useful, but not absolutely necessary.

NOLA
  • Duuane
    Options

Thanks for all the input.

• scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Options
    I thought we were talking rifles and lubricant.  Ima have to google what you all are talking about. 
  • scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Options
    I think I have it now.  Adjustable Rig with sliding grates.  Looks complicated.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Not complicated.....
    GWN
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    …and well worth it!
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • Duuane
    Options

tonyled ... Thanks for the pictures of the AR in various states of setup, it helped a great deal. I will be ordering mine tomorrow.