Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE lump

Options
The last few times I have purchased BGE lump it has been very small pieces and burns out before I am done with the cook.  I have purchased it at 2 different places thinking maybe that was it.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I won't to do a couple of Boston butts Sunday night for Monday and really don't want to have this issue again.  

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Get ready for lots of good lump, bad lump reviews. Especially being Friday
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I've gotten adequate burn times out of the BGE lump.  Generally it's been in better shape than the RO that I've bought ... same company, so go figure.  You've heard it before, but fill the egg up until the lump is touching the plate setter.  No reason you can't complete a pork butt cook with one fill.

You have calibrated your thermometer haven't you?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Lol!!!  It used to be the best but now I'm wondering if there is something better.  It's very frustrating. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Clean out your rig and fill it dang near to the bottom of your platesetter and at 250 you should get 16/ 24 hours of great heat!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    I usually fill to the line.  Didn't know I could fill all the way to the plate setter.  That's good to know!!!  And no I haven't calibrated the thermometer.  How do I do that?   
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    I will also look for Royal Oak.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I usually fill to the line.  Didn't know I could fill all the way to the plate setter.  That's good to know!!!  And no I haven't calibrated the thermometer.  How do I do that?   
    Stick it thru the slots In a spatula put stem into some boiling water. Should read 100 degrees C. If not, adjust with nut in back of thermo. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Read this website: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprank.htm

It'll help you pick one of the better lumps in your area.  At the very least it'll stop you from buying Cowboy lump.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The thermometer has a nut on the backside. Stick it in boiling water and make sure it's hitting 212/100 on the dial. If it's off, adjust the nut until it is on point. This is most easily accomplished with some pliers and an adjustable wrench.
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    My opinion and take it as just that, buy Rockwood. I can get it for as cheap or cheaper than BGE. And I like it much better.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Thank you.  It sounds easy to calibrate it.  
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Where do you find Rockwood?  I have never heard of it. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Assuming you're in the southeast based on your handle, check your local ace. If they don't stock, they should be able to order it.  Alternatively. Firecraft . Com free shipping on orders over $100 and they have some good stuff available. 
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Ok. Thank you.  Yes, Im in Alabama.  
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Switched to Rockwood works great burns great little ash. Firecraft.com ships it right to your door. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    General opinion of most here. Rockwood is the best easily available lump charcoal. We all miss Ozark Oak. While it gets a bad rap around these parts Royal Oak is still a very usable and most of the time cheaper option.

It's all about finding a fuel that easily accessible for you and works for you. Otherwise we'd all be buying 50 dollar a bag lump off of the information super highway. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bwarner
    bwarner Posts: 23
    Options
    My experience with Rockwood isn't any better than BGE, both have small pieces. A result of shipping. Just my couple pennies.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'm on my first bag of Sugar Maple. Love it. Burns forever. Well, not forever, but a long time! 

Agree with @bwarner. There's small pieces and dust in the bottom of any bag of lump. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Ok. Thank you.  Yes, Im in Alabama.  
    Rockwood Lump Charcoal 20 lb. bags can be ordered through any of the 750+ Ace Hardwore stores across Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Southern Louisiana, Southern Mississippi, Western North Carolina, South Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.  SKU 8400772.

All lump charcoal is subject to breakage during transport.  Even a bag that is filled with a good amount of large pieces can have nothing but small and medium pieces by the time you take it home.  All it takes is one drop during the distribution process. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I think that the BGE lump is way overpriced. Try the Royal Oak.

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    First take egg all apart and clean out. Second. Freight it to the top of the fire ring + the night before. Bring it up to 400 and let the white smoke burn off. Shut it down . Relight next day. Set vents and sip cold Beverages.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    I use Humphries only because it was included in the package deal when I bought my large egg.  I guess it's ok but I have limited experience and nothing to compare it to.
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I just finished up the last bag of BGE lump I had. Haven't used it in a long time and I can officially say it sucks the high hard one against Rockwood. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Where do you find Rockwood?  I have never heard of it. 
    They list their dealers on their website: http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've never used anything but BGE lump, at first because I assumed (wrongly, I guess) that if BGE put its name on it, it was probably the best, but I've kept on because I love it -- it has a very mild smoky flavor even without wood chips for things like chicken.  And for grilling, I usually get at least a couple of cooks out of a load, sometimes three, I think.  And there's usually a mix of smaller pieces and pretty large chunks.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Try Rockwood brothers.  It's neutral, it's widely available at Ace hardware and it's good!  Few to no rocks and big lump pieces.  Now hear 100 other opinions.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Try Rockwood brothers.  It's neutral, it's widely available at Ace hardware and it's good!  Few to no rocks and big lump pieces.  Now hear 100 other opinions.
    Only in the SouthEast. There's ONE dealer in all of Texas.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Rockwood will NOT deal with CA prop 65 claiming they'd need an attorney on staff!
    So, I'm stuck with BGE (not a bad problem at all) or Royal Oak, which IS a different 'select' from the same people OR I've got some Frontier under test.  

The 3 or 4 bags of RO I've used all consist of mainly small pieces with a few mediums tossed in to get your hopes up.  
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @CrimsonTideGirl you can get Royal Oak at Home Depot
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius.