Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to buy wood chunks

Options
ChuckR
ChuckR Posts: 248
I have been reading Aaron Franklins book and he talked about wood that was not kiln dried. I had never considered that and sure enough what I get from my local grocery stores is kiln dried. Are there are good mail order companies any of you use or a particular brand you find is good? I do have oak from my Dad's backyard, but I would like to get some hickory and apple as well. 
Thanks in advance
Chuck
Suwanee, GA

Comments

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Try Firecraft.com. 
    GWN
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Try fruitawood.com
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have some pecan chips (from a tree we took down) that I would be glad to send you if interested. I have several bags left (have given away quite a few) and would be happy to share.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I load up when I'm in Maine over the summer, so I don't know how quickly things ship, but I've had great luck with the wood from here:  http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    If you can get some peach, get it.   Perfect for many cooks :)
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Find a firewood guy in your area and trade him some pulled pork for the chunks. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    @chuckr I believe Aaron Franklin's book is mostly related to stick burners therefore using lots of wood - and air dried wood would have a higher moisture content than kiln dried wood.  Think firewood vs. lumber.  I think grocery store wood is kiln dried to reduce the moisture low enough (quickly enough) to prevent mold and insect infestations since it will be sold in proximity to foodstuff.

Wood chunks that we use represent a small so I presume almost insignificant impact on our cooking needs. 

That said, I got a fantastic deal $2.00/bag of wood chunks at home depot at the start of the year.  Was marked down from $10/bag.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I will usually order some wood chunks when getting to the $100 free shipping from Firecraft.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Try Fruita Wood. Great selection, reasonable prices, free shipping, good wood.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ