Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza! Yes!!

Options
We are staunch pizza lovers and have had the egg for about 2 months. We think we finally nailed it last night.
The BGE stone was what did it. We were using a Pampered Chef stone and everything burned on it. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Happy for you - but 750º dome is pretty hot for pizza so your prior problem might not have been due to the Pampered Chef stone.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    That looks pretty darn great - looks like it just came out of a pizza oven!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • joytreg
    joytreg Posts: 14
    Options
    IPASooner said:
    That looks pretty darn great - looks like it just came out of a pizza oven!
    Thanks!
  • joytreg
    Options

RRP said:
    Happy for you - but 750º dome is pretty hot for pizza so your prior problem might not have been due to the Pampered Chef stone.
    Actually, pizza ovens are around 800-1000 degrees. And my pizza was burning at 500 on my Pampered Chef stone. :(
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm amazed the Pampered Chef Stone made it that high. I believe they are rated to 450 degrees and many people have had them shatter at temps above that.
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
  • joytreg
    Options
    I'm amazed the Pampered Chef Stone made it that high. I believe they are rated to 450 degrees and many people have had them shatter at temps above that.
    Hmm, I didn't know that. We used to get it up to 550 in the oven with no issues, luckily. 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Good looking pizza!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited May 2015
    Options
    joytreg said:
    Hmm, I didn't know that. We used to get it up to 550 in the oven with no issues, luckily. 
    I use my Pampered Chef on the egg, but keep it less than 500°. Most companies use a safety net when rating their products. With that the said, if you do a search on shattered pampered chef stones and click on images, you'll see what @Eggcelsior is talking about. 

As far as the pizza not burning with the BGE stone, it's probably due to the thicker stone not being as hot as the pampered chef stone due to the thickness of the stone or the dough recipe was slightly different.  Plus, I could be completely wrong, but I think pizza ovens have different top and bottom temps
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I used PC stone above 600. It'll work till it don't....
  • Sandi_k
    Sandi_k Posts: 52
    Options
    We do pizza regularly on ours. We use pecan chips, soaked for extra smoke, and cook the pizza at 450, indirect.

We put in the placesetter (legs down), then add the BGE feet to get some air circulation, and then place the pizza stone on the feet. Warm up to 450, and add soaked chips to fire and pizza on stone.

We bake for 17 minutes, and it's always perfect. And smoked cheese is unbelievably good.  =)