Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Varsity in Atlanta

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2015
    Options
    QDude said:
    Vortex. Damn auto correct!
    There is a Vortex in Little 5 Points and One in Midtown.   Little 5 is just a little east of Downtown and Midtown is just a little north.  Downtown to little 5 is just like 3-5 miles away, so depending on traffic could take you anywhere from 10 minutes to 3 hours in Atlanta :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

If you want real hole in the wall Southern soul food then hit Beautiful Restaurant on Cascade.  True southern cooking. 
    If it's on Cascade, it's the real deal. Just make sure you are packing...
    Why?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Because Channel 2 News seems to report shootings on Cascade/SW Atlanta daily. 
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    It's worth a trip to say you did it but like many things in life, if you didn't grow up on it, it won't seem very good.  I remember hearing about it from all of my Atlanta friends at school and then when I finally tried it I was disappointed. After 15 years of living in Atlanta I have grown to like if not love it.  All that being said, there are some other great restaurants in Atlanta worth checking out. Fox Bros BBQ or Heirloom Market come to mind.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Cascade Heights isn't bad.....mostly old retired folks.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    +1 for Vortex burgers and +10 for fox bros BBQ. Best brisket in town (other than an egged brisket of course). Folk Art in Inman Park is a hole in the wall and has first rate food and a great bfast. They know how to do grits right. Flying Biscuit is also good for Bfast. The Sun Dial downtown on top of the Westin Peachtree Plaza is a good place for a drink. Jeans are allowed in the bar but not in the restaurant, Best view in the city...the entire restaurant rotates, food sucks and is way overpriced. If you happen to be a club corp member the Commerce Club is on top of the 191 Peachtree Tower and has surprisingly good food an awesome bar and another amazing view. Like you can see multiple states type of view. Manuels Tavern at the corner of North and North Highland is great little hole in the wall for bar food with a nice beer selection. Many celebs frequent here also.Tons of history at Manuels, especially civil rights history. Some say it's the unofficial headquarters of the civil rights movement in Atlanta. Get there before 6 on a weekend. Obama visited Manuels in March of this year. 

Finally, the original Krispy Kreme donuts is on Ponce de Leon in midtown. Another must do if the "hot" light is on. I've said enough...enjoy our great city. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    If you are going to do the Vortex, then do the Little 5 Points one, the people watching is much better!  The one on Peachtree and 10th is across from a gay club.....  I'm just saying......; not judging!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    If you are going to do the Vortex, then do the Little 5 Points one, the people watching is much better!  The one on Peachtree and 10th is across from a gay club.....  I'm just saying......; not judging!!!!
    I agree Dave.  The Little 5 location is is the original and the building is much cooler. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    And they are now not allowing anyone under 21 in the establishment effective Jan 1

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    And they are now not allowing anyone under 21 in the establishment effective Jan 1
    Good to know- they have never allowed kids but I guess they raised it from 18-21?  They are pretty strict with that from what I hear.

That is one thing about the Vortex is they have all these "rules" printed on the menu.  It is sort of a hipsterish "we are so cool we don't even care about your business" vibe.  However, I don't actually feel that vibe from the staff when I go there.  Every time we have gone the service has been great, the staff polite, and most of all it is just a fun place.  Oh, and the double coronary bypass is legendary.  

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Yep, they decided to make it easier on the serving of their great alcoholic beverages that they stop allowing in folks under 21.  No more checking ID's except for the guy at the door checking to make sure you can come in....  And don't mess with him, he sh!ts bigger than most normal people!  Bas a$$ dude!

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    What'll you have, what'll you have?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Run, don't walk away from there. There are many great food establishments in ATL. I understand if you occasionally need an IV drip of grease.....you will get it at the Varsity!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    The Varsity is more than a restaurant, it's an experience. The dogs are just okay I agree. But the history, the ambiance, you just have to go. I grew up going downtown to the Varsity with my dad, some of my best memories. Your order is below, this is a must...an absolute must. Yell your order to the order taker as fast as you can and they'll think you are a native Atlantan. =)

2 all the way chili dawgs (onions etc etc)
    onion rings (fries are good too, but the rings are the bomb)
    Frosted orange to drink (an absolute must)
    Fried peach pie for dessert. (worth the entire experience)

Anything else is blasphemy. 
    Edit: also, keep a look out for celebrities. Several movies are being filmed in the ATL right now. One is huge budget Paramount production, just a few miles from the Varsity.
    That is a good post... Never been to Atlanta, but this is what I would do if I had the opportunity to go there.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I second Fat Matt's. My son and I ate there while he was attending GA Tech. Pretty darned good BBQ. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Taqueria del sol on the Westside of midtown. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• rolltidesmoker
    Options
    Chilli slaw dog, onion rings and a PC. PASTEURIZED CHOCOLATE,  chocolate milk served over ice, awesome.  For mexican, go to Nuevo Laredo, another great meal.
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    But for tranny hookers this is the spot!  Walk 1 block west and BOOM!  That was a bit eye opening for my wife and kids one game day a few falls ago. Some decent people watching in midtown. Just a different variety from little 5
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    But for tranny hookers this is the spot!  Walk 1 block west and BOOM!  That was a bit eye opening for my wife and kids one game day a few falls ago. Some decent people watching in midtown. Just a different variety from little 5
    Not sure what all that meant, but I think I picked up a piece or two to get the drift. When that happens I am so happy I live out here in the boonies of IL where there are no street lights and we can see the stars - REAL stars, that is, at night! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Just reading this makes me miss Athens.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Also, if you are the type to partake in local brewing of adult beverages, theres tons of local breweries around that have tastings throughout the week.  Sweetwater, Second Self, and my favourite just south of the city in Hampton, Jailhouse Brewing.  If you want to check them out, let me know and I'll see if the warden will open off schedule!  Also some local distillers are around the 4th ward area.

• mtp
    mtp Posts: 26
    Options
    What'll ya have
    LBGE, Plate setter, Pizza stone, Bisson flame thrower, Replaced by a Milwaukee heat gun,  Maverick ET-732, Bluetherm, and a bunch of beer

Cumming, Ga
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    When I'm in Atlanta I always try to eat at Hal's Steakhouse. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC