Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABTs & Pig Shots - a.k.a. Circle the wagons! - TTT attacking!!!

2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    There was never an arrow on the one I got, so I went with the 12 o'clock setting for indication. Mine still won't go to eleven no matter how far I turn it. LOL! 
    Obviously my knob is different than yours and while there is a 9 the damper is already closed 180º when the knob gets to say 7 - that's a cold 7 of course!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    I don't have the arrow on mine, I kinda eyeballed even with the top of the cap for my number.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    @RRP  Ron mine has no eleven mark on it either, the reference is to a movie about a very loud fictional heavy metal rock and roll band. Everyone else's guitar amps went to ten but theirs went to eleven on the knob so theirs were supposed to be louder. Just some foolishness from the past.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    When I ran mine at about 250° on the XL the setting was near 3 at 12 o'clock with the bottom vent fully open with the screen in place. I also had issues getting to 350 on the medium as it just didn't seem to want to get those last few degrees. I believe I stopped at 6 but it was last week and I can no longer remember what I did yesterday so do not rely on that. Agreed that it should work pretty well on a low and slow if it is kept dry. It is very helpful on my gusty back deck as it reacts quickly to wind changes and keeps the temp closer than the manual vents. There may eventually be an issue with buildup on the operating parts from combustion residue but I believe the old Easy Off oven cleaner should work. Regarding the possibility of making one from stainless, typically SS would crack or split during the drawing process of forming the body. It would have to be welded up from fabricated pieces and that plus the price of SS would make it far more expensive than $30. 
    I think that you're setting your TTT incorrectly!  The instructions available on the Maverick website say to set the bottom vent open just a tiny amount and the top fully open.  The TTT must be able to control all the airflow.

Also, to set the knob: "Turn the knob clockwise to set the temperature while the unit is cool. Use the top of the unit to the left of the knob as your reference point for the knob #s 0 to 9. The higher the #, the higher the temperature."

So, that makes the index point for setting the knob at the 9 o'clock position.
    :)

• bettysnephew
    Since I didn't get instruction or an arrow decal on the side, I went with what seemed to work. If the bottom is just a tiny bit open I don't think the TTT would be controling all the airflow. I'm sure closing it a bit would work but I did not have issues keeping my temp where I wanted it. From this point on I will use the 9 o'clock reference to be in sync with everyone else. I suspect I may have gotten one that was from the previous production run before Maverick took them over.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • 78 T140E
    edited May 2015
    If you set the bottom vent just a tiny bit open and leave it, then the TTT will be controlling the airflow.  And, I don't think that Maverick has "taken them over" because the original seller (inventor?) is still selling them on his TipTopTemp website.

• bettysnephew
    edited May 2015

Do you own one and use it? If so, please give a report of your findings as to how it has worked for your cooks, like I and others have done, not just quotes from the online instruction sheet. Your demeanor seems to suggest you want to be confrontational. If that is the case, I do not think you will be happy here as this type of attitude will get your butt handed to you on a platter. I am always willing to learn from those that know more about a device or cooking process than I as long as they have actual experience and are willing to share with this fine group of folks. If you have nothing useful to contribute other than snide criticism crawl back under your bridge.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • 78 T140E

Do you own one and use it? If so, please give a report of your findings as to how it has worked for your cooks, like I and others have done, not just quotes from the online instruction sheet. Your demeanor seems to suggest you want to be confrontational. If that is the case, I do not think you will be happy here as this type of attitude will get your butt handed to you on a platter. I am always willing to learn from those that know more about a device or cooking process than I as long as they have actual experience and are willing to share with this fine group of folks. If you have nothing useful to contribute other than snide criticism crawl back under your bridge.

Sorry, I didn't intend to get anyone irritated with my comments.  I DO own the TTT and use it - actually I have two of them.  I've had them about 3 months.

When I first started using them, I had problems holding the temps I wanted.  So, out of frustration, I re-read the instructions and discovered that I wasn't setting my bottom vent correctly.  After I started setting it the way that the instructions recommended, it all worked perfectly.  That's why I quoted parts of the instructions - they work great for me.  I use them mostly on low and slow cooks and they work great.  But so far nothing more than 3-4 hours - no overnighters yet.

I've learned from trial and error that my bottom vent needs to be set at about 1/4" to 1/2" open.  My top vent is wide open with the TTT sitting on it.  And, the higher I set the dial knob on the TTT, the higher the dome temp will be.  I keep a close eye on it as it's coming up to temp to keep from overshooting the temp.  If it overshoots too much, it takes forever to bring it back down.

I'm not much of a picture taker, but I did take some pics a couple weeks ago when I was cooking some pork lion chops - here ya go.

TTT set at 4.5 was holding dome temp at 425°. (index is top edge of TTT)

Bottom vent open about 1/2".

Served with Idahoan Steakhouse parmesan & herb red potatoes.

• bettysnephew
    OK, thanks. It is hard to read intent on the internet. Your cooks look fine and I will try it with the lower draft door closed further. My TTT came from The BBQ Equipment Store without instructions in the box or a pointer sticker. It may have been old stock, don't know for sure. I do know for the price it has worked quite well on both Eggs. I see what you were getting at with saying the top vent was wide open. Your grill is constructed very differently than the Egg. I haven't tried to place it atop the daisy wheel with the petals open but with the base of my Smokeware cap in position at least it doesn't tumble to the ground. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • 78 T140E
    OK, thanks. It is hard to read intent on the internet. Your cooks look fine and I will try it with the lower draft door closed further. My TTT came from The BBQ Equipment Store without instructions in the box or a pointer sticker. It may have been old stock, don't know for sure. I do know for the price it has worked quite well on both Eggs. I see what you were getting at with saying the top vent was wide open. Your grill is constructed very differently than the Egg. I haven't tried to place it atop the daisy wheel with the petals open but with the base of my Smokeware cap in position at least it doesn't tumble to the ground. 
    My grill is a Broil King KEG 4000.  It is constructed very different than your Egg.  But the cooking concept is the same.  The body is made of double walled steel with high-grade insulation in between.

It is very fuel efficient and will go for several hours with just a small load of lump.  It will grill at 700° - 800° with ease and also do 200° - 225° for hours on end.  I also use a Kick Ash Basket which gives the lump some extra breathing room in the fire bowl in addition to the ash management feature.

Your method of using the base of the Smokeware cap to retain the TTT looks like it works well.  Since the top vent on the KEG is cast iron, most of us KEGers use "super magnets" form Home Depot to hold the TTT down.

There is a thread in the Broil King KEG Forum that's dedicated to the TTT.  I encourage you to peruse the comments - you may pick up a tip or two.  The folks that frequent the Broil King KEG Forum are very friendly.  They welcome all BBQrs and you won't be shunned because you use an Egg.

A pic of my KEG.

The top vent.  I was holding 400° the way it's set.

Magnets on my TTT.