Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch time?

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I've done a couple of 6-8lb chickens spatchcock in the oven and have decided its time to see what it's like in the egg with some smoke flavor...so I bought a 6lb one for dinner tomorrow night, and a 2.5lb one for lunch/experiment.  The 6lb one, I expect would take around an hour at 450F.  Any idea how long the 2.5lb one will take in the egg around 450?  I plan to go raised, indirect (platesetter), and put a catch pan with some water, onions, celery, and carrots under it on the main/lower grid.

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Are you for real? You've been part of this forum since 2011 and you've been cooking spatch's in the oven. Also, where in the world did you get a 2.5lb chicken?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Smokeysmokerson
    Options
    Direct and raised like a boss! 450 seems high, try 350-375
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    I agree 450 will burn the wings and legs off.
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    ^^^^ what they said, I do mine raised indirect at 385 max , they turn out great, and its done when the thermapen says so :) , typically an hour. 
  • njl
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Are you for real? You've been part of this forum since 2011 and you've been cooking spatch's in the oven. Also, where in the world did you get a 2.5lb chicken

Yeah...I don't know why, but we've never really been into cooking chicken other than breasts and the occasional attempt at fried chicken. I did my first spatch whole chicken last Thanksgiving...due to family illnesses, travel plans got canceled last minute, and we unexpectedly had TG home alone...so I made a 10lb chicken for myself, the wife, and 2 young kids. It turned out so well, I've done a few more basically following http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/butterflied-roasted-chicken-with-quick-jus-recipe.html though I haven't bothered with his Jus recipe. My egg has only really done beef/pork and chicken breasts once.

This 2.5lb. one was a young organic chicken.  

As for the temp, I haven't had any trouble with the wings burning doing them in the oven at 450F...though in the oven, they're on a rack half an inch away from the sheet of water and vegetables.  Wonder if that makes a difference?
  • njl
    Options
    I put it on at 300F, and over the course of the 45 minute cook, let it get up to about 375F.  When the breast hit 138F (kind of late) I flipped it skin side down.  It turned out really good.  The cooking time/temp was a little short for the veggies...but the chicken is great.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Are you for real? You've been part of this forum since 2011 and you've been cooking spatch's in the oven. Also, where in the world did you get a 2.5lb chicken?
    I only do organic, from my local farmer, but most of mine are in the 3-4 pound range, so   2.5 doesn't seem weird to me. 6-8 seems really weird! :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I do a lot of spatchcock at 425-450 indirect.  Your temp idea is pretty spot on for the way I do chicken.  I'm doing one tonight and will raised direct at 425-450 for 30 mins or so skin down until I get a lil char then I will flip.  Works good with this particular flavor or the chicken.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.