Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting wing sauce to stick on egged wings

Going to a Derby party tomorrow and wanted to bring some wings. I love wings on the egg, but have not had much luck getting sauces to stick like at the restaurants. Is there some trick to getting the wings slick without frying them? 

Comments

• Sorry I can't help but I'm curious too.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Put them back on the egg after you sauce them for a few minutes to set the sauce.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    I love the Budweiser wing sauce ... If you put your wings in gallon size freezer bags and pour a bottle over them or your fav wing sauce let sit in fridge for a few hours ... You'll be just fine :) 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    When they are done, put them in a large bowl and toss to coat.
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    I always get them almost done on egg coat them then back on the egg works great nothing beats a wing from the egg
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I smoke my wings, then deep fry them, then sauce them, then back on egg, then take heart burn pills, them go to Dr. Then post pics on the forum. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have been around the block with wings on a LBGE-finally settled on raised (well above the gasket line) direct  (dome at 350-400*F),  flipping around every 15-20 mins (beer consumption speed dependent) until done.  Generally about 45 mins or so.  Then toss in sauce and back on the LBGE for about 10 mins or til the sauce sets up.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I agree with putting them back on after sauced, however, if you are going to transport them you ate going to lose your stickiness. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Chubbs said:
    I smoke my wings, then deep fry them, then sauce them, then back on egg, then take heart burn pills, them go to Dr. Then post pics on the forum. 
    I'm not saying your wings aren't good, in fact I bet they are spectacular, I've seen lots of things cooked one way, then another, then another before being served, but for me personally, that is way too much work, especially for wings.  if I deep fry 'em, I deep fry 'em.  If I smoke them on the egg, then I smoke them on the egg.  If I oven roast, then I oven roast.  I love to cook, but I also have a certain lazy streak in me that doesn't like to do anymore work than I feel is necessary.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    To make the sauce stick, make it thick (dryer) and put only as much will stick on the grill.  Repeat after the last saucing dries up.
    Chubbs, how true, good one!
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    If I'm doing buffalo style, then I toss or spin the wings in a big bowl with the butter and Franks mixture then serve immediately.  If I'm doing some other kind of sauce, then I usually glaze/flip/glaze during the last 10-15 min while still on the egg.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Rub, egg till almost complete, sauce or glaze on or off the egg and a few more minutes for sauce to setup on the wings. I usually baste mine while on the egg 2x right toward the finish line.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Damn, we should've stopped after Nola, he was the 10th response.  Ignore the last few comments, nothing new here.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Legume :get_outta_here: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited May 2015
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Grill them using the 30-20-10 rule at 400 degrees indirect.  30 mins one side, flip, 20 mins another side then toss in bowl with sauce and back on for 10 min.  Take off and enjoy.  (I hope the photo resizes)
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited May 2015
    When they are done, put them in a large bowl and toss to coat.
    This is how the restaurants do wings. It works for egged wings also, and no burnt sauce.