Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help with Duck

Geaux Tigers
Geaux Tigers Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 6 lb. duckling that has "BGE" written all over it. Any recommendations for temp. and time? Thinking about spatchcocking the little bastard.

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Geaux Tigers
    I think djm5x9 is the resident expert here on ducks. Check the archives or try to ping him, or search his profile for his email. :)
    I have never cooked a duck, so I can be of no help in the proper methods. ;)
    HTH
    ron.

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Geaux Tigers, here is a great link for doing Duck on the grill.

[ul][li]Duck[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Rumrunner,[p]Looks very good. I LOVE duck. One thing, though. The article doesn't mention at what temperature to consider it "done". I have been told by various cooks and also at restaurants that duck isn't like chicken, i.e. you don't want to cook it to 185 degrees (dark meat). It can be served at varying ranges, like beef (med rare, etc).[p]I'd be interested to hear your opinion as well as other forum members ideas about the finished internal temperature of duck...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    QBabe, I'm still a tad squeamish when it comes to 'pink' poultry. [p]According to the FDA, duck is 'safe' at 160° throughout the meat, even if it is pink. For tenderness, and getting rid of the pink, I suggest 165-170° in the breast and 175-180° for the rest.

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Crispy.jpg
    <p />Geaux Tigers,[p]Duck is outstanding on the Egg.[p]Here is my post from last November.[p]HTH[p]DD
    [ul][li]Duck on the Egg[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    duck3.jpg
    <p />Geaux Tigers:[p]I cook a pair of butterflied ducks on an elevated grate, breast side up, direct at 200 degrees for about four to five hours. The goal is to render as much fat as possible. Watch how the flesh draws up on the bones for an indication of the cook nearing completion. Remember, the goal is to render fat so think low and slow BBQ with this cook.[p]Since this cook may present timing problems with a planned meal, I try to complete the cook one hour prior to serving. The completed birds are held in a glass pan covered with commercial plastic wrap and placed in an oven set at 225 degrees until being served. Regardless of the timing of your cook, let the birds rest covered for a few minutes when you take them off the grill.[p]My preference is to cook all meats direct. I like the texture and taste of meats cooked direct. Regarding ducks, the skin is easier to crisp when cooking direct. There is a lot of fat rendered cooking duck direct, but it does not affect the taste when you cook low and slow. This fat is easily burned off with the preheat of your next cook.[p]Hope this helps, enjoy your duck!
    [ul][li]More On Duck . . .[/ul]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Rumrunner,
    I agree taht a whole duck tastes better if slowly cooked to "well done" (~175), but.......seared duck breast done medium rare (very pink) is a treat.
    Have fun.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    djm5x9,
    Your ducks look excellent, thanks for sharing your technique. [p]If you like to marinate duck try Chinese Marinade by Lee Kum Kee from your local Oriental grocery, it gives the duck authentic Chinese flavor. I smoke with whole star anise thrown on the burning lump for good luck, some days I need all the luck I can get.
    Clay[p]

• QBabe
    Marvin,[p]That's how I've had it at one of the local "upscale" restaurants and it was absolutely divine! I just made myself forget it was poultry and enjoyed the flavor and tenderness. I'd be interested in knowing the internal temp it when prepared that way...[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Rumrunner,[p]Thanks! [p]You know, I was thinking, I somehow missed out on your tuna spread in Ocala.[p]Tonia

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    QBabe
    I attended a cooking class that had duck breast served pink. It was the first time that I ever ate poultry that wasn't cooked all the the through on purpose. I discovered why people serve duck that way, it was great. But I really think the egg lends itself to cooking whole ducks. I really wouldn't cook it without the drip pan, because I wouldm't want that much fat in the firebox and on the bottom of the cooker. Dr BBQ has a real good recipe in his book. I have yet to go wrong with one of his recipes.
    Bill