Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT....BGE vs Joe

Options

Comments

• Rickl
    Rickl Posts: 23
    Options

Personally, I would take the Ferrari over either the BGE or the KJ. 

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I must have somehow bypassed the code you got from your BGE purchase to be able to join this site. 

I'm
    kinda slow. I dont understand this part of your post. 

Just saying that you don't need to purchase a BGE to enjoy and learn on this site.  It is not a perk or argument for buying a BGE.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Having both a BGE and a KJ, here's my take..

- Can't beat the forum, the Dealer network and the Eggfests for BGE (KJ forum is D-E-A-D!)

- I like the rain cap on the BGE, even tho it sounds most don't use them (beats the KJ's vent that doubles as a rain cap closed and a DFMT during cooks - I'm forever wondering if it's "really" closed after putting my cover on, or if my cover may have knocked it part way open and the fire is gonna start back up, melt my cover and catch something on fire).

- I wonder at times if KJ is gonna make it.  My KJ arrived with missing parts (Divide and Conquer "X-Rack" and they slipped a whole pizza stone in instead of the half moon deflectors I SHOULD have gotten.  Not cool.  Trying to get these things replaced took WAY longer than it should have).  Lots of reports on their forum of people that STILL haven't received replacement parts..like 6 months later.

- KJ announced a wireless controller (BBQ Wizard) what seems like 18 months ago - and it's been rare as a two headed purple unicorn in making an appearance..this tweaked me off as it was one of the main reasons (plus the D&C system) that led me to buy the KJ over BGE.

- What I LIKE about the KJ (over BGE):

- Pull-out ash drawer (very nice)
      - Comes with a stand and high quality bamboo side tables (not extra cost)
      - Stainless hardware
      - Top vent doesn't seem to rust and seize up like my BGE's
      - Way better gasket
      - Much larger and more readable (from inside the house) thermometer
      - Nifty "Divide & Conquer" system with different rack heights (that is, when you finally receive all the parts you paid for in the first place!)

- What I DON'T like about the KJ:

- Burns a TON of lump (reading all you guys say how the LBGE doesn't burn much lump makes me wonder..is this less fuel efficient than a BGE?)
      - Not sure if the company will make it long term..seem like a bunch of good people but the D&C part debacle (people waiting months for parts they said they had) plus them shipping a pizza stone instead of the half moon deflectors left a bad taste and made me wonder about their ability to ship and service their customers..

Like I've said, I keep thinking I "should" have just bought a MBGE - the KJ Classic is the same size as the LBGE and has a bunch of good accessories available (I have the CGS AR, for example, and a KickAsh Basket) but it is just too big for the 99% of cooks we do for 2.  And it seems to be lump thirsty also, compared to the MBGE that I hear is more fuel efficient.

All that aside, I have a pretty pricey SS table that the Mini and KJ sit in, and while I "could" replace the KJ with a MBGE, it'd look kinda hokey since the cutout for the KJ is 21'' (or whatever it is) and the MBGE would be 3'' smaller..not a total deal breaker, but enough to make me hesitate, also..

Hope this helps..I'm sure I forgot a few things but am running on 3 hours of sleep from last night so pretty much barely functional at the moment..

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    SmokyBear said:

- Pull-out ash drawer (very nice)
    I would like to have that on my eggs.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I must have somehow bypassed the code you got from your BGE purchase to be able to join this site. 

I'm
    kinda slow. I dont understand this part of your post. 

Just saying that you don't need to purchase a BGE to enjoy and learn on this site.  It is not a perk or argument for buying a BGE.
    Oh, okay I gotcha. I guess my point was buying an egg was what prompted me to find this forum. 

Little Rock, AR

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Smokybear, interesting comment about your kJ burning too much lump.  First I've heard of that comment.   Fire not getting snuffed quickly, or do u think it's burning less efficiently during the actual cook (compared to a bge).   I own a BSK (the best of all wrt fuel efficiency)  so I'm sure a large bge would look like a fuel hog to me. ;)
  • SantaAlex
    Options
    We have a local pool/patio store that sells all kind of grills.  I spoke with the owner recently and he told me he sold the Kamado Joes for about two years.  He said he sold a few hunded.  They were very popular.  Every single one was returned, cracked.  Some early on, most later, but all within two years.  Granted I live in Connecticut, a cold climate state, but my BGE has survived minus 9 degrees, with windchills to minus 30F.  And that was cooking pizza at 700F!  Talk about extremes!  The former KJ dealer is now a committed BGE dealer, and reports he has never had had an egg come back broken, other than an idiot dropping it down the stairs.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    SantaAlex said:
    We have a local pool/patio store that sells all kind of grills.  I spoke with the owner recently and he told me he sold the Kamado Joes for about two years.  He said he sold a few hunded.  They were very popular.  Every single one was returned, cracked.  Some early on, most later, but all within two years.  Granted I live in Connecticut, a cold climate state, but my BGE has survived minus 9 degrees, with windchills to minus 30F.  And that was cooking pizza at 700F!  Talk about extremes!  The former KJ dealer is now a committed BGE dealer, and reports he has never had had an egg come back broken, other than an idiot dropping it down the stairs.
    There is just no way that is true.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    SantaAlex said:
    That's funny search google for my kamado joe cracked then search for my big green egg cracked. When I bought my KJ I didn't find one comment anywhere and they are all over about the BGE. I can't even tell you how many warranty claims I have filed but its atleast 10. I have had 3 bases alone crack. They all will break. Also anyone with an egg over 10 years old will tell you the finish on the eggs ceramics is much more rough now than it used to be. My mini max the ceramics are rough compared to the ones I had that were 10 plus years older.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    My base on my egg cracked. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    It's numbers too....way more BGEs than KJs.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Does anyone know how many BGEs have been made? How many KJs?  My impression is that there are "a lot" more BGEs, but I have no idea what the numbers actually are. Even ball park numbers would be interesting to know.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    At the time I was looking to buy I checked out a local dealer who is an hour from me that sold KJ and Primo.  They both were higher then my current BGE dealer on pricing.  That's one reason, another is my dealer is only 3 miles from my house, gives great service and advice on cooks I have done.  They also offer cooking classes and I feel like family when I go in to the store.  I am not sure about the quality of the KJ vs the BGE, but I do know that the other egg knockoffs aren't as good.  They will cook and make decent food, but take long to get up to temp, take longer to cool down and don't have a lifetime warranty. This forum is another reason I got a BGE and do not regret it one bit.  Your friend can get a KJ if he wants to save money up front, but in the long run the BGE will save him money IMO.  

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    but I do know that the other egg knockoffs aren't as good.  They will cook and make decent food, but take long to get up to temp, take longer to cool down

Do you just make this stuff up as you type?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Ya all really need to read the post. His freind IS getting a egg. Gosh.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Not sure if this has been asked on this post, but is the Joe Jr compared to the MM or the Small egg?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Would love to see some pics of the pull out ash drawer - seems like an awesome feature to have.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Not sure if this has been asked on this post, but is the Joe Jr compared to the MM or the Small egg?
    @SoCalTim- It is in between the small and the mini-max in dimensions. In terms of cooking and lump capacity it is probably closer to the small egg (not as squatty as the MM). Surprisingly I think the Joe Jr weighs less than the MM so I can only assume it has thinner or less dense ceramic.  Either that or maybe KJ Jr doesn't include the stand in the weight and MM does.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt  ... thanks brother. Been thinking about adding a third egg (trying to sneak it past the wife) .. love the MM and Small - but love the price on the Joe jr even more ... 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @SoCalTim I don't know if this helps:

BGE MM
    Grid Diameter: 13 in / 33 cm
    Cooking Area: 133 sq in / 855 sq cm
    Height: 19.5 in / 50 cm
    **Weight 63 lbs

BGE Small
    Grid Diameter: 13 in / 33 cm
    Cooking Area: 133 sq in /856 sq cm
    Height: ?
    Weight: 80 lbs / 36 kgs

KJ JR
    Height: 22.1875"
    Cooking Surface:13.5” diameter
    Cooking Area: 148.5 sq in
    Weight: 68 lbs

Personally, FWIW I was contemplating either purchasing a MM or a KJ JR when I was shopping.

Edit: **Weight for MM added after info provided by SmokyPitt below (thank you).
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @mahenryak  .. oh wow - cool! Thanks, now I got good info to go on!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I found this that lists the MM as 63 lbs:
    http://issuu.com/biggreenegg/docs/bge_v3_2013_online_catalogue

I know we are beating this to death since OP's friend decided to go green, but one thing I have noticed is that KJ's pricing is far better on the Jr vs larger eggs.  Basically what I have seen:

-The KJ Jr cost is much lower than the MM, and lower than the small. 
    -The KJ Classic cost is about the same as a large, but they give you more stuff. 
    -The Big Joe costs more than the XL. 

So maybe the perfect combo is an XL egg and a Joe Jr :smile: .

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mahenryak
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    You're welcome.  Also, on an aside, @nolaegghead mentioned that his friends were reporting that they had some difficulty getting his KJ Jr, that he had loaned to them, up to temperature.  I have had absolutely zero issues getting my JR up to temp, very quickly.  I do use a Harbor Freight weed eater to light both my bge lg and my KJ Jr.  I can also report that I have not found the KJ Jr to be a lump hog, by any stretch.  On the contrary, it is serving its intended purpose quite nicely--efficient grilling of steaks, hamburgers, jerk chicken, etc. during the week for just my wife and me.

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @smokeypitt .. what I find frustrating is that I live here in Los Angeles and there are no Big Joe dealers here that stock anything. I'd like to see what I'm buying before I spend my hard earned cash ...
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    SoCalTim said:
    You're welcome.  Also, on an aside, @nolaegghead mentioned that his friends were reporting that they had some difficulty getting his KJ Jr, that he had loaned to them, up to temperature.  I have had absolutely zero issues getting my JR up to temp, very quickly.  I do use a Harbor Freight weed eater to light both my bge lg and my KJ Jr.  I can also report that I have not found the KJ Jr to be a lump hog, by any stretch.  On the contrary, it is serving its intended purpose quite nicely--efficient grilling of steaks, hamburgers, jerk chicken, etc. during the week for just my wife and me.
    On another side note. I find that the Large BGE cast iron lump grate fits very nice in the KJ jr fire box and increases the air flow even more. 
    I bet one of the SS aftermarket grates would be even better. The jr airflow is still better than my Small BGE.
    I have also used the KJ jr fire box in my Small BGE and it really helps the Small hit higher temps faster.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

... I find that the Large BGE cast iron lump grate fits very nice in the KJ jr fire box and increases the air flow even more. ...
    This is very good to know.  I have an after market SS grate for my lg so I do have the original sitting off to the side.  Maybe I'll throw it in the jr sometime in the future.

• Offpiste
    Offpiste Posts: 47
    Options
    I have LBGE and Classic KJ.  In general I would say the KJ is a close second.  Fit finish tad nicer on LBGE.  Also my local BGE dealers are good especially the guy that runs the Ace in Evansville, WI. Ace I got smoking deal on KJ not so good customer service.  Cook the same.  Have not done low and slow on KJ yet interested to see if round deflector works better, no hot spots.  Ash drawer, I removed it I think it gets better air flow without it.  All in all I like both but the BGE better.  If saving a few dollars get you cooking faster great other wise I would save for the BGE.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Offpiste said:
    I have LBGE and Classic KJ.  In general I would say the KJ is a close second.  Fit finish tad nicer on LBGE.  Also my local BGE dealers are good especially the guy that runs the Ace in Evansville, WI. Ace I got smoking deal on KJ not so good customer service.  Cook the same.  Have not done low and slow on KJ yet interested to see if round deflector works better, no hot spots.  Ash drawer, I removed it I think it gets better air flow without it.  All in all I like both but the BGE better.  If saving a few dollars get you cooking faster great other wise I would save for the BGE.
    I pull the ash drawer out with cooks over 300 degrees for better airflow as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mahenryak
    Options
    ^^^BTW the KJ Jr does not have an ash drawer. ^^^^

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

On another side note. I find that the Large BGE cast iron lump grate fits very nice in the KJ jr fire box and increases the air flow even more. 
    I bet one of the SS aftermarket grates would be even better. The jr airflow is still better than my Small BGE.
    I have also used the KJ jr fire box in my Small BGE and it really helps the Small hit higher temps faster.
    I have never tried putting my Joe Jr's fire boxin my Small GE, will have to try it sometime.

BTW, the new Kick Ash Basket for the Medium GE may fit in the Joe Jr.  Chad was going to do some "research" and update the recommendation soon.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.