Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam's Club Zero Warranty Eggs

Options
13»

Comments

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @stlcharcoal has really been the only one to realize/admit that the consumer is the only one getting screwed in this deal by BGE in their attempt to "protect" the dealers.  They should focus the effort on the rogue dealer/distributor, etc. and take care of the new customers/users.  Here's an idea, honor the warranty and direct them to a legit dealer when they have a problem.  The dealer shouldn't be out anything taking care of the warranty as BGE will reimburse them or send the part needed at no cost to the dealer.  Almost every time I go to my dealer I'm dropping $100 and I'm not buying anymore Eggs when I go, I'm buying rubs, Rockwood and whatever other impulse buy I make there.  Not to mention every time I'm there I'm tempted to sign up for Dizzyfest or a cooking class, which isn't cheap.  I bet most of the people that buy these Eggs from Sams, Costco, etc. would start doing the same as well.

Glad you get it @stlcharcoal makes me feel even better using your product exclusively in my Egg and makes the hour long drive each way to Dizzy Pig to get it worth it.  I guess we should be careful though since BGE has their own lump maybe soon they'll start voiding warranty's if we're not burning their brand in the Egg (kidding, sorta).  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    Just to be clear, there's nothing "rogue" about these distributors selling eggs to various Sam's stores around the country.  There are only a handful of distributors, BGE knows who they are and knows which Sam's stores are carrying the eggs fora  few weeks/months at a time.  It happens every year, typically right around the time the BGE corporate offices have their national distributors meeting.  Coincidence?  No way.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Didn't read the entire thread so if this has been mentioned I do apologize.  And also not trying to start a war...or belittle anyone. Why do people make such an issue out of a cracked FB? I cracked ours in 08 when we moved. Cooks just fine. Talked to a dealer, he told me he would warranty it. But I never sent the card in...My fire grate also had a crack...far worse than some of the ones I have seen people freaking out about.  
    Isn't  like if I ever have to replace either of these parts I would have to sell a kidney to finance them. Other than a broken FB or grate what is going to go wrong that a warranty is so critical? Ain't like the thing is electronic....
    The base or the dome cracks.  Instead of having to suck up the cost every time it happens, you, the original owner, gets a new replacement for free.  That is a significant reason why the BGE costs so much.  BGE knows there will be a certain percentage of replacements.  Some will fail early for no apparent reason (small microscopic flaws that become macroscopic from heating).  Others will take longer to fail, some never will.  But if you just forked out >$1,000 and the item fails, you like that it gets replaced at no cost.  you like not worrying about it failing immediately after the warranty expires, the warranty never expires as long as YOU own it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    And....
     In essence you were paying up front for a second component....if that makes any sense.  Can't help but wonder if that is not the case with the Egg?
    That is exactly the case with the Egg.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I'd much rather a lower more affordable egg with the option to buy the warranty.
    With that said I do own two bge s that I bought from a local dealer.
    I had to replace two plate-setters  and  two fireboxes and a fire ring. it was a hassle. The Ace dealer insisted I produced receipts that I had misplaced. He also insisted that my fire grate was not covered in the warranty. I bought two of those before I went with the high Q.
    I might add the Ace hardware bge dealer knew good and well that I had purchased both big green eggs and all the accessories from his store. 
    Big Green Egg might have a good warranty but you better make sure your dealer is a good guy.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited April 2015
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I'd much rather a lower more affordable egg with the option to buy the warranty.

Craigslist.  :)

Divorcees and widows sell heavy stuff cheap (I watch for pinball machines.)

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    There's pellet smokers and metal smokers that cost more than Eggs and Kamado Joe's that don't have lifetime warranties.  I can't imagine why anyone would complain about the price of either brand when they're both backed by lifetime warranties.  

I persoanlly don't think there's an issue with BGE selling these units to Sam's.  They should make sure the people purchasing these Sam's club Eggs know what the warranty is on the product.  

Persoanly the $300 USD discount is just not worth sacrificing the lifetime warranty.  2 fireboxes alone could make up that $300 dollars easily.  

Then again, we live in a world where monster cable can tell all of these lies about HDMI cables without being sued or punished legally.  

Persosnally there should be a lawsuit against Monster Cable and Best Buy.  That's whole other thread on it's own.  

Things like this are just a reminder for cosumers to do their homework.  If you're going to depend on companies to help you when you get screwed you'll more often or not be extremely disappointed. 
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    With that said I do own two bge s that I bought from a local dealer.
    I had to replace two plate-setters  and  two fireboxes and a fire ring. it was a hassle. The Ace dealer insisted I produced receipts that I had misplaced. He also insisted that my fire grate was not covered in the warranty. I bought two of those before I went with the high Q.
    I might add the Ace hardware bge dealer knew good and well that I had purchased both big green eggs and all the accessories from his store. 
    Big Green Egg might have a good warranty but you better make sure your dealer is a good guy.
    Tony, file a complaint with BGE regarding your experience at Ace.  As long as you registered your egg with BGE you shouldn't be getting hassled over replacements parts.  
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring