Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap

Options
Just got a new smokeware cap. Do you guys put the gasket on the egg or the cap?

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    on the cap, just above the flare.  ignore the directions that say to put it on the egg and put it on the cap as far below the vent openings as possible but still above the flare.  This is how I did it and I like it that way.  Others on here may offer different advice, but most will say, put it on the cap and not on the egg.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Yep.  Cap. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Interesting.... I bought a floor model medium from the mothership and it had a gasket on the egg so I just slipped on the cap. It's been working fine. Why is putting it on the cap better?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cap
    Options
    +1 Cap.  After a high temp cook or clean-out burn you will soon see.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Interesting.... I bought a floor model medium from the mothership and it had a gasket on the egg so I just slipped on the cap. It's been working fine. Why is putting it on the cap better?
    we're talking apples and oranges here. For at least the last year BGE has been putting a gasket on the neck of the dome before shipping. With that one in place then no  need to install the one from SmokeWare. It's just us dudes with "older" eggs that had no factory applied gasket. Just the same keep that one from SmokeWare. Reason is eventually after some high heat cooks you may find that factory gasket will fail.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @rrp is correct. I kept the factory. Wasn't long till the SW was slipping all over the place. Replaced with SW gasket on the cap. However, my SW gasket was felt, not the white that Ron shows. In any case, my cap is now welded to the neck. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Thanks Ron. I kept the smokeware gasket for that reason. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I haven't put the gasket on at all...  still works great. I switch between DFMT and the Smokeware depending on the weather. 
  • RRP
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I haven't put the gasket on at all...  still works great. I switch between DFMT and the Smokeware depending on the weather. 
    Why bother? With the gasket on the SmokeWare MOST of us can shut down better than the leaky old cast iron DFMT. Heck, I don't even know where my rusted dinosaur turd is!  =)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    The factory felt is slightly thinner than the smokeware felt.  After a few times mine took a set and no longer held the cap tight.

I put the smokeware felt on and now it is snug as bug.  I go against the grain here.  I prefer it on the egg.  No issue with nuclear burns yet with the smokeware felt.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Mine is also on the Egg.  I just followed the instructions that came with it.  It hasn't given me any issues but I am a little concerned that if I were to try and remove it, say, for cleaning purposes the whole thing might come off.  It feels very snug.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sammi said:
    :how_interesting:  Mines on the chimney and has been from day one (Rutland). Many pizza cooks and clean burns later it's still just the same as the day I installed it.  Plus the cap fits snuggly along with the ceramic cap.  And it makes cleaning the cap a breeze which is good because I'm OCD when it comes to my SS being purdy. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Sammi said:
    :how_interesting:  Mines on the chimney and has been from day one (Rutland). Many pizza cooks and clean burns later it's still just the same as the day I installed it.  Plus the cap fits snuggly along with the ceramic cap.  And it makes cleaning the cap a breeze which is good because I'm OCD when it comes to my SS being purdy. 

Similar to a hint when finding Waldo...note the use of the brand of gasket used. LOL
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    I have the Rutland RRP gasket on my Smokeware cap also !
    Gambrills,Maryland