Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza tonight

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pizza5.jpg
<p />Boy, its been awhile since I did a pizza. Tonight was the night. After finding my King Arthur flour full of bugs (two sealed bags) I went with another brand - guess it has been awhile since I did pizza![p]It was just my bottomless pit and myself tonight so I used a reduced batch - 2 cups flour. Here is the finished 14" pie. I did it on a plate setter and a BGE pizza stone. Slide/daisy wide open and dome temp of 575 deg. I added the stone about 5-8 min before the pizza went in - then cooked for 19 min. Wonderful and the crust was just barely done. I could have gone 21 min easily if not more.[p]Tim -- stuffed!

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Tim M,[p] That is one nice looking pizza you cooked up there. Looks
    better than anyone you can buy from the pizza store.I see you have 1/2 olive & peppers & the other just pepperoni &
    cheese. Is this for variety or orders from the family?

Earl

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Tim M:[p]That is an excellent looking pizza . . . But about the old King Arthur flour, a little extra protein never hurt no one . . .[p]Have you ever tried cooking a pizza with a stone & setter combination pre-heated for twenty to thirty minutes? How did the pizza turn out?

• Tim M
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Preheating seems to be needed only if the crust is not done. I have never preheated anything in the Egg 30 min. The Egg is up to temp in 20-25 min and I hold it there at 575 for 5-10 min to clean out the remains and so the smoking stops. Then I add the pizza stone and go in and put the pie together on the peel. That takes 5-8 min and I slide on the pie. I did one where the stone went in 10-13 min earlier but little difference. I normally do two pies - not this big though. The 2nd always is done before the first so if you have only one you could get away with more preheat.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    Earl,
    My picky 17 yr old (who wrecked his car again - I need you here Earl!!) only eats pepperoini. I left out all the corn meal this time and I liked it that way. [p]Tim

• Peddler
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I find that pre-heating the stone for about 30 minutes simulates what the pizzarias do to get a crisp crust without overdoing the top part. Some of the best pizza I have ever tasted comes from Pepe's in New Haven CT and they told me they preheat their wood-fired oven several hours before using and cook at about 600 degrees.[p]Peddler

• Tim M
    Options
    Peddler,[p]While it may work, I would test it in the Egg with your setup and not go by what Pepe's does --- unless ofcourse if they have Eggs and pizza setters and BGE stones - then do what they do. [p]T
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Tim M:[p]Do you use spacers between your setter and stone to eliminate hot spots? Or are your cooks one or two pizzas and the cook is over before hot spots are a problem?

• Tim M, your pizza picture has me salivating. While looking for something else, I just came across this crust recipe. I'll try it the next time I do a pie.

[ul][li]Boboli Type Pizza Crust[/ul]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Tim M,[p]A great looking pie for the most part. Just not enough meat on it for my liking. hehehehe[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Options
    George ,
    That looks like it would work well. You could leave out the garlic and cheese and it would be what I used. It's worth the effort and quite easy! I use a mixer w/stand and dough hooks which makes it easier.[p]Tim

• Tim M
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]No spacers - never heard that mentioned before but it would seem to be contrary to what the ceramic is there for. I want the ceramic to slow down the heat to the crust so the toppings can cook and both be finished at the same time. Opening a space between the two would allow heat in the space but also would limit the heat transfer from one to the other. I am not sure which would be best for insulating the pie crust but its never been an issue for me. I once tried to burn a crust and couldn't in 25 min. The crust was way too hard but it didn't burn. [p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    porksh.jpg
    <p />KennyG,[p]I don't know - your pie (pictured above) just seems like too much meat for me. The KennyG "Meatza,Meatza,Pizza" looks too meaty for me.[p]Tim
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Tim M,
    Hey, Nice Butt!
    R&J

• Peddler
    Options
    Tim M,[p]That's the way I cook on the Egg. The pre-heating and temp info I got from Pepe's just confirmed that their great pies were cooked in the same manner as mine. [p]Peddler

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Peddler,[p]Good call. I too use a setter and stone, and pre-heat them for 30 minutes prior to baking the 1st pie. The crust and toppings come out like champs. As long as you control the temp, you can bake a couple hours worth of pies on the Egg without burning the crust. [p]Puj