Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitchen Gadgetry - Dicing Edition

I hate dicing.  There I said it.  Onions are the worst.  I'm thinking about buying a gadget to make this chore a lot easier.  I don't know anything about them, so I thought I would toss it in here for discussion.  A lady at work loves her Pampered Chef model.  Do you use one of these gadgets?  Please opine.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I've seen someone using something like of these while making guacamole in a restaurant(I guess to save time). It seemed to work fine.

Using the XYZ method for onions takes me about 10 seconds with a knife. Have you tried watching any videos on methods?
  • @Eggcelsior - What is the XYZ method?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Agreed about learning proper technique to use a knife for dicing onions. Once you watch some Youtube videos and practice on an onion or two, it's so much easier to use a knife than to use any other type of gadget, especially when you factor in the time it takes you to drag the gadget out of the drawer or cabinet, put it together, use it, and then clean it.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    we have the pampered chef chopper thingy.  it works really well and we use it if we are chopping lots of things or lots on one thing.  if I need to dice 3 or fewer onions, I just use a knife but more than that and I use the chopper thing.  I really like it if I need to chop a bunch of hot peppers really small - I can either chop them whole, or I halve and de-seed then chop them.  the biggest benefit I see is when you really want to obliterate something into really fine pieces you can just keep hammering on it until you get a really, really fine chop.  also works for nuts, tomatoes not so much.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I don't think any of these chopping gadgets will "make this chore a lot easier".  Maybe a bit easier.  You still will need to use your knife to cut things down to the size for the gadget to handle. I have found that it is easier to just keep using the knife instead of having to get the gadget out, "pre-chop" with a knife, use the gadget, and then clean the gadget.  I have a Cuisinart food processor with 7 different slicing and dicing blades and a nice mandoline with 3 different dicing blades. I only use them when I have a lot of slicing or dicing to do. For normal meals the knife works better.  I have had a couple of the chopping things, no longer have them.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Agreed about learning proper technique to use a knife for dicing onions. Once you watch some Youtube videos and practice on an onion or two, it's so much easier to use a knife than to use any other type of gadget, especially when you factor in the time it takes you to drag the gadget out of the drawer or cabinet, put it together, use it, and then clean it.
    Cleaning gadgets is my biggest gripe with stuff like this. I find myself taking a knife to garlic if I am chopping stuff instead of using a garlic press or microplane if I am grating a bunch. But the garlic press, I don't bother with it at all anymore.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    edited April 2015
    @Brisket_Fanatic Here is a tutorial.

It's basically the "standard method" to chop. Depending on the amount of cuts, you can do a large, medium, or fine dice.

• @Brisket_Fanatic Here is a tutorial.

It's basically the "standard method" to chop. Depending on the amount of cuts, you can do a large, medium, or fine dice.

@Eggcelsior - Nice link!  Perhaps I'll have to set my beer down and dice with two hands.
    Flint, Michigan
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    OP, I have that exact same one and LOVE it. We actually have 2 "blades", one that is the 1/4inch and the other I believe is 1/2in.   When we do lots of salsa we do tomatoes, onions and peppers in it. GREAT!!!
  • onedbguru said:
    OP, I have that exact same one and LOVE it. We actually have 2 "blades", one that is the 1/4inch and the other I believe is 1/2in.   When we do lots of salsa we do tomatoes, onions and peppers in it. GREAT!!!
    Pampered Chef?
    Flint, Michigan
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i just go xy now, dont see much need for the z axis cuts. the knife style is something to consider, i like a big, thin, extremely sharp knife, most european and american knifes have too thick a blade to get the sharp angles. your eyes will not water as much with an extremely sharp knife....just make sure you only cut the onion and not your thumb =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    edited April 2015
    i just go xy now, dont see much need for the z axis cuts. the knife style is something to consider, i like a big, thin, extremely sharp knife, most european and american knifes have too thick a blade to get the sharp angles. your eyes will not water as much with an extremely sharp knife....just make sure you only cut the onion and not your thumb =)
    It depends on the size of the onion for me. We typically get the really big Spanish onions from the grocer. They are 2-3 "regular" medium-sized onions. If it's the smaller ones, X/Y is enough.
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    We have the Pampered Chef one that I've used mostly when making salsa. It works fine but like others have said it is more trouble to clean up than just washing a knife so doesn't get used very often.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)