Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KCBS, To Judge or Not

Options
Jstroke
Jstroke Posts: 2,600
How many of you have judged or do judge BBQ. Questions I have are first and foremost is it fun? Do you get to meet a lot of great people? Do you get to mingle with the competitors AFTER the cook, or is everyone scrambling to get packed up and out of there. I want to learn more about all kinds of Q and methods. I have to admit it, i'm in it for the people first and the BBQ second. Obviously you can't talk to the teams beforehand!!! But if all I am going to do is go into a tent and eat 2.5 lbs of supersweet Q and then waddle back to the car I'm not overly interested. I think taking the judging class masy be interesting to see what they think world class BBQ is, and I would learn a lot. If you do judge or you have what did you think or get out of it?
Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Nope I don't judge. I have taken the class bit I only wanted to know what they look for. It's alot more fun to complete. 

As for being able to hang around just remember most teams have been up all night cooking and all day long. Most head out pretty quick.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Took class also just to see what they teach the judges
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am a KCBS member and want to get in to judging or competing.  My in-laws has some friends that have been judging for years and they said it is fun, but you have do so many contest a year to stay certified to be a judge.  That''s means doing a little bit of traveling.  I want to take the class too and am interested, but am not sure with my current schedule being my kids T-Ball coach I could do it now.  I hear you get to try a lot of food to make sure you know what to look for.  If you have a good pallet then you should make a good judge.  Get the KCBS membership if you want to save money on meat and supplies at Restaurant Depot.  I bought a 2 packer of pork butts for @1.29 a pound and a brisket for $3.69 a pound there.   I believe @DMW does some judging.  I know he took the class a year ago.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Took the class, haven't judged an event.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hello All,
    I judge every competition I possibly can (which is not nearly as many as I'd like). I can't say it's the most social thing in the world, but you do get the chance to meet some folks that you probably never would otherwise and you  get the chance to taste some VERY good BBQ. I can't say I've ever really stuck around after a contest to mingle with many of the cooks, but I know there are folks that do. For me, the best part is when I get to try something I'd never thoght of before and it's really great. Granted that doesn't happen at every contest, but it has happened a number of times.

I've also had the chance to help cook at one contest and THAT was a really great experience. A lot of work for sure, and a long day all in all, but well worth it (especially with an amazing team like @SMITTYtheSMOKER and @R2Egg2Q ). That being said, I think you'd be crazy to invest the time, money, and effort in competing without having first a) taken the class to become a CBJ, b) actually judged a few events, c) cooked with another experienced team. If you can find a contest with a 'backyard BBQ' division that might be different, but for KCBS all those steps will make you a MUCH better competitor.

A lot of the best contests are associated with some other event; a car show, a rodeo, a concert, something like that. Find a contest that is associated with something you'd want to check out anyway then spend part of the day judging and part of the day enjoying the other thing. If you find that judging was a fun experience you can do it again, if not at least you had a good day checking out something cool.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I'm a judge with around 20+ contests. You get to meet a lot of people as there is plenty of time to chat with other judges. After the event teams are cleaning up and some are more than willing to talk while others just want to be left alone. It's a good time and I love it. Hoping to cook a comp this year.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• badinfluence
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌ I only want to talk to the judges if i place...lol.

In all seriousness though I don't talk much to anyone but the team as there is ALOT to do before during and after the cook and judging.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @badinfluence - it is a busy process for sure. I have some friends that cook and when I judge those events then after I go and help them tear down.

What's you team name?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• badinfluence
    Options
    It's badinfluence

Clinton, Iowa
  • Jstroke
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like a good time had by all and a way to learn a tremendous amount. I think I will take the class and then see about getting picked for some events. 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I am a judge and to date have done 19 events.  I have made some very good friends because of it, both cooks and judges.  I honestly feel it has made me a better cook and it prepared me for the events I have competed in.  Nothing better IMO than to hang with a punch of folks that all have the same interest in something.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    @Jstroke  As soon as you complete your class call KCBS and get your CBJ number, don't wait for the card to come in the mail.  Then go to the KCBS website to locate the contests in your area and start applying to all the events you want to judge.  The earlier you get your applications in the better.

Just remember that being a new judge you will be kind of a "seat filler" at first.  Don't get discouraged, just keep applying.  Meet and talk to the KCBS event reps, table captains and other judges.  Before you know it you will be judging in every event you apply for and getting calls to judge events that you didn't.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning Jstroke:

I've been a KCBS judge since 2006 and now have 24 official contests (also a few unofficial) and love every minute of it...I live in Florida and there aren't many KCBS contests here (first couple years there was only two per year)...Being an EggHead I will try to meet with any team using Eggs after the judging and have always been welcomed...go for it, it is fun and you will meet & get to know some fantastic people.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    So what do you learn in judging class? 
    What do you have to un-learn to be a judge?
    I expect I would make a lousy judge.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jstroke
    Options
    Bowhunter and ssn this is exactly my thought too. I think it will be a good time. My next class is in October unless I travel. I am going to visit some events this summer to make sure I enjoy the scene and get a feel for it. Believe it or not I have never been. I am in the food world for a living, but my role has changed and now I feel like I am ready to be around it more as a hobby. I love to cook at home and want to learn more about smoke. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would like to get into competing, judging then getting a catering business going. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.