Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Great Budgeting Tool

Options
if anybody is a Dave Ramsey fan or just needs a good tool for their monthly budgets, Ramsey Solutions just released EveryDollar! You can access it on everydollar.com or on the EveryDollar app on your iPhone. I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey and Financial Peace University and this new tool makes budgeting much more simple. 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thanks for posting. With the addition of my second son in a month I am looking into additional budgeting options. Great timing 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Rice and beans, beans and rice....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My budget would be much better if I just blocked this website!
    Between this site, photography sites (B&H and Adorama), and LMC truck, I need this in my life.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    jmcnutt5 said:
    if anybody is a Dave Ramsey fan or just needs a good tool for their monthly budgets, Ramsey Solutions just released EveryDollar! You can access it on everydollar.com or on the EveryDollar app on your iPhone. I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey and Financial Peace University and this new tool makes budgeting much more simple. 
    I have been using Mint and it has been a very useful tool for me.  Interested in trying this out.  Thanks for posting. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    jmcnutt5 said:
    I have been using Mint and it has been a very useful tool for me.  Interested in trying this out.  Thanks for posting. 
    +1 for mint.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    FYI - if you want to use the Every Dollar app, you must first go to their website everydollar(dot)com to sign up and register.  There is no in app registration process.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Does the app collect data about you?  I don't use any online tools (budget, tax, portfolio mgmt) in an effort to keep my financial data private.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    Does the app collect data about you?  I don't use any online tools (budget, tax, portfolio mgmt) in an effort to keep my financial data private.
    agree...
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    Not sure what kind of information you are talking about, but you do not have to sync your bank account t if you do not want to. All you need to sign up is provide your name, email address, and a password. I don't know how much you know about Dave Ramsey, but he is all about personal responsibility and taking control of your finances. I would be shocked if he allowed his company to do anything shady. Read the terms and conditions over if you want. 
  • jmcnutt5
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Thanks for posting. With the addition of my second son in a month I am looking into additional budgeting options. Great timing 
    Congrats with the second child. We really got serious on budgeting when we decided that my wife would stay at home with our child. If you are not familiar with Dave Ramsey, I encourage you to look over his website and Financial Peace University (FPU). It is a great class and many churches across the country offer it. It costs $100 but well worth the investment if you consider how much quicker you will pay off debt and save money. 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    ^^^ I don't know anything about Dave Ramsey and did not mean to suggest that he is shady.  My comment was a little more philosophical about online financial tools in general.   

I could see a good budgeting tool linking to bank accounts and credit cards to create an accurate way to track spending against plan.  Online portfolios know what you own, assuming it actually tracks your portfolio. It's just the potential for more data to be out there and used for marketing or to fall into the hands of hackers.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jmcnutt5
    Options
    @Ragtop99 I completely understand. Trust me, I like to know my financial info is safe as well. Just trying to clarify with what (little) knowledge I had about the app. From what I have seen, if you sync your bank account, all it does is pull transaction totals and it makes you assigned that purchase to a budgeted line item. It will automatically deduct that amount from what you budgeted and show you how much you have left. 
  • AbraHammer
    Options
    Crazy, My fiancée and I just started FPU last night, I'll def check this out! Thanks
    Green Abe & Ham
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Between this site, photography sites (B&H and Adorama), and LMC truck, I need this in my life.  
    I was at the B&H store today. Thankfully I didn't have much time, just picked up a USB battery pack. I did look at the Samsung Galaxy Camera 2. Pretty neat, I'm waiting for a decent Android based camera that includes an EVF.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    ekuapa said:
    Ragtop99 said:
    agree...
    Same here, I just use a spreadsheet for my budgeting purposes.
    I don't need no fancy fandangled software, and I sure as all heck don't want it in the "cloud."
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    We currently use a spreadsheet with separate tabs for monthly expenditures, savings goals (short/mid term like holiday spending and vacation savings and long term like retirement and car funds). We do the cash in envelopes once in awhile to get back on track or implement extreme austerity measures in order to hit a target we really want to get to (special vacation, home down payment...etc). 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Thanks for the info @jmcnutt5 I'll check it out. We currently use YNAB. It's pricey ($69) but awesome. +1 on Financial Peace University. It changed our lives 7 years ago. "Debt is normal, be weird...very weird" 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA