Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My second rib cook

Options
Have owned my LBGE about a year.  My wife and I shared an acct Jaime_Doug early on. Received great/encouraging advice.
Well wife has MS and had some complications a large part of that year and we didn't get to do a lotta egging.
we've vowed this year will be different.

I am not a great cook- my expertise is mainly pressing "Cook Time, 3:00, Start".

my first rib cook last year was a 2-2-1 variation and we liked it but nothing to go crazy over

Since then, I've done a few burgers, steaks and 2-3 wing cooks.  I began to improve and this non-cook, late 50's guy, who never grilled is starting to really enjoy this.  

Today I decided to try just my second low n slow and try baby backs again.

I did my best to follow Car Wash Mike's recipe and it went pretty well.

Used my AR with a v-rack and while I own a cyberq, my son-in-law has it on loan.  I felt I could do the temp control manually.
That went real well for the first 3 hrs , first 3 hourly spritzings with apple juice/apple cider vinegar.
when I tried to bump to 250, the rise was going too slowly so In trying to get there I overshot to the Finish temp of 275-280. Ugh, here I go again I thought but I didn't panic. 
I was also a bit frustrated that my apple chunks never seemed to get going ( I had them (4 ) on top of the lump around the perimeter of the lump.. Doh!  

Well the darn chunks did finally get started during the Finish..  Lol.  I only did 1 rack. 1/2 for me with sweet baby rays. And the wife's with just some liquid Parkay and brown sugar.

Wife raved about the ribs.   I was pretty pleased myself :-) 

lesson's learned:

randomize wood chunk location
keep working on temp control- don't just punt and take back my cyberq
never do just 1 rack-  reheating some leftovers later today or Mon would have been lovely...
Car Wash Mike was a pretty cool dude! 

Sorry about out size of below pics.

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL

Comments

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Ribs look great.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Great looking cook @Swordsmn. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear it`s getting easier to use your Egg, it gets easier with every cook.

Good Luck!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @swordsmn Ribs look great!  Glad to see you haven't given up through some tough times.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Well my friend for not such a good cook those are terrific!!!!  Now keep egging and keep the pictures coming.
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Looks great from where I'm sitting...I need to try l/s again to do the brown sugar/butter/honey routine. I have done mostly turbo ribs the past year but when I have tried the brown sugar routine with turbo they generally don't turn out so great...bitter taste, I'm assuming the higher heat is causing some issues with the sugars that are involved? When done correctly it's like pig/rib candy. All the best to you and your wife and happy egging! This egging has truly been therapeutic and a hobby for me.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    CWM was a cool dude. Nice cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    For third cook (this is fast so anytime). 
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I'll try it Mickey.  5+ hrs for 1 rack was a lotta work!   Then again I needed the temp practice so it was fun.   Next time though I'll try your way.  Turbo definitely has its place!

thanks for all the kind words gang.  I'm enjoying the fraternity!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL