Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Intervention Request

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks fantastic. I don't get much okra here in the Midwest but grew up with it down south and yours looks great
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    We're like a bunch of drug addicts trying to keep someone from going sober here... The egg changed my life and made me a better cook. You've been a good cook for a long time as it would appear. Rock what makes you happy and you get the goods from. The chops look great.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    @mick7607 .. that looks good ... one piece of advice from me .. before I start on a cook, I always come to the forum and read the heck out of whoever has posted regarding a particluar cook.

So if I was cooking a pork chop tonight, I would have read about the pork chop cooks posted here and found out that brining the pork chops for 4 hours and then cooking them at 350 direct, flipping after 5 minutes, basting them in a concotion of herbs, garlic, olive oil & butter and then flipping again (4 total flips & baste) produces an incredibly moist and tender pork chop. No way I would have figured this on my own .. just reading what was posted here gave me the incredible results.

You have built the most incredible BGE table I have seen and if I were you, I will stick with it.

Now let me confess .. I am a BIG BGE forum addict! Cannot stay away from the forum even for 1 day, even if I am just lurking :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Looks good to me!!!!

Little Rock, AR

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731

@mick7607 - that plate looks mighty good!

One other thing - are you cooking to temp using an instead read thermometer? the maverick is not that great for finished temps, but is useful for general temps. The thrmopen is pricey, but consider the thermopop fi you don't have one. Your cooking will change significantly when cooking to temp with a reliable thermometer.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited March 2015
    I wish you would just post more of your cooks. That puts everything up for discussion and it makes it easier to identify any
    potential
    issues you may or may not be having. Most everybody will comment and/or tell you how they've done the same cook. I've learned a LOT that way. I bet you will, too, and with your experience I bet you could teach us a lot. I
    look forward to that. 

Little Rock, AR

• Sorry for the weird paragraph. I'm not typing in poetry stanzas or anything, just a combination of fatfingers and an ifone. 

Little Rock, AR

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    mick7607 said:
    It occurs to me that, all day long, I have been in a funk about a simple hobby. It has been enlightening. Thank you. But, at the same time, I' m bitchin' about the quality of food and there are some people that have no food. I am humbled and thankful for what I have. Forgive me.
    Don't be too hard on yourself Mick. We all have 1st world problems.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @johnkitchens you beat me to it. Pretty much all the problems of folks on this forum are trivial when put in perspective. 

That said, mick, we will gladly help you get thru the learning curve. 
  • johnkitchens
    Somewhere out there some bastard is pissed because his Bentley isn't running right.

• I'm
    pissed cuz Cazzy scored a cheap
    prime grade brisket. 

Little Rock, AR

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'm pissed because my spring break vacation is nearing it's end.  No more time off til July..... :s
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited March 2015
    Somewhere out there some bastard is pissed because his Bentley isn't running right.
    @johnkitchens My buddy had the exact opposite happen to him a few weeks ago.  My buddy brought his VW CC into the dealership for a tuneup.  Somehow their mechanic messed something up on his car during the tuneup and told him they needed to keep it for a few extra days.  So they tossed him keys to a Bentley to use in the mean time!!!  No joke.  I was jealous to say the least 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    ^^^^ Better to be lucky than good any day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Could be that your just a good cook and a master of the Weber.  I would imagine that BB King would have a little bit of difficulty if he switched Lucille from a Gibson to a Fender. That being said the main reason I love the BGE is the temp control. Once I figured that out I wasn't constantly running over to the grill to check temps. Anyway it's all about what works for you.  Good luck!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284

I had just taken my brisket off the grill, I was using a short squatty table, being real tall and bent over trying to slice the brisket so I could turn it in on time and time was running out. Well Myron saw me struggling and brought over some pvc leg extensions to raise the table up for me. My table was of a plastic type material and my cutting board was of the same material which made a slippery mess. I got under the table to place the extensions on the legs and all of a sudden I hear a splat and apologies coming from up top. In the process of lifting the table, some how Myron and crew got the table unleveled and  cutting board and brisket went to the muddy ground. After laughing it off, which is all you do, Myron told lesson # 1 always cook more than 1 when competing. It was the first time I ever meet him and even being with out some to turn in and being out the entry fee, well it`s just something I`ll never forget. 

• dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    The Egg will not make you a better cook.  It is however an extremely versatile piece of cooking equipment.  You can cook just about anything or any style food you want.  If you find the process cumbersome, look for ways to improve the process.  Your table is an incredible piece of art.  I could spend hours just looking at it.  For me, preparing and cooking the food is just as pleasurable, if not more so, than eating the food.  The old adage to enjoy the journey vs the destination is applicable here.  You have an incredible "journey" to enjoy.  The more you enjoy it, the better your "destinations" will be.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    @shucker, nicely put.

@mick1607,
    I'm in this camp as well.

After proudly owning many Weber products pre-egg, still owning a OTG and WSM, 2 Larges, 1 Small, and a Blackstone, eggs would be the first to go.  My son will get one of the Larges when he finds his first home, brother may get another.  I no longer do pizza on the egg, the Blackstone puts out a better end product and is so much easier.  Eventually the portability of the small will be sold and replaced with the OTG or a Jumbo Joe.  

Chicken on the egg doesn't even compare to the Kettle and Cajun Bandit rotisserie.  BBQ cooks from the WSM are preferred, no issues with temp control.  

Biggest advantage of BGEs?  Winter performance here in IL.  Oh, and eggfests. =)

Coming down from the egg high is challenging.  At the end of the day, it's the cook, not the cooker.  Good luck. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    WeberWho? said:
    I came from a generic WSM before the egg. The egg is really a night and day difference for me.  No water pan to fill up, wind and weather to worry about, cleaning the grill after each use, fluctuating temps, etc.  The egg eliminated almost every part of my dislikes with the WSM.  I'm not saying the egg is the perfect grill but fits most of my needs.  The egg becomes easier the more you use it.  I've owned my egg the past 5 years and still constantly learning something new from a cook or on egg forum's.  I completely agree with @SmokeyPitt about you knowing the in's and out of the WSM and not getting the results you want.  Give it some more time. They are two completely different grills.  They both will have their differences.  Keep grilling away on the egg.  Once you find some good results go back to the WSM and compare between the two.  

My wife also says I hate everything. I'll hate a cook and have a friend over that will tell me it's the best meal he's had all year.  I'll go to my mom's house and she'll hate the meal but I'll inhale it!  Different strokes for different folks.  Keep plugging away.  Ask any little or big questions. Someone will always lend a hand when needed!
    I too came from a WSM and have not used it since I got my XL or really want to use it.  I would if I had a large cook and needed to get a lot done.  The things i don't like about the WSM is you have to take it all apart, use a chimney starter to get the lump going and it is hard to regulate the temp.  Oh, you also have to keep adding lump for long cooks.  My WSM is currently sitting on my neighbors back yard and I don't miss it.  My ribs are better on the egg then the WSM and so is everything else.  My suggestion, do a side by side and see which one taste better, is easier to use and takes less time to set up.  If you don't like it after that, sell it.  I don't how you did pizza on the WSM though.  I didn't think you could get it hot enough or stable enough to make good pizza.  To bad you are not in the KC area.  My dealer is having a Big Green Egg 101 cooking class this Saturday that I took last year.  It really helped.  I like the WSM, it's just I think the Egg is more versatile and can cook in very cold   temps and not miss a beat.  I believe a lot are sold in Canada for that reason.  Go to an Eggfest and ask questions and sample the food to see if it taste better.  I know I am my own worst critic and always say I can make it better next time even when it everyone has eaten everything I cooked and want more.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    WeberWho? said:
    @johnkitchens My buddy had the exact opposite happen to him a few weeks ago.  My buddy brought his VW CC into the dealership for a tuneup.  Somehow their mechanic messed something up on his car during the tuneup and told him they needed to keep it for a few extra days.  So they tossed him keys to a Bentley to use in the mean time!!!  No joke.  I was jealous to say the least 
    Guy was probably @DMW .  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    This thread is starting to get boring. Here's the deal. So many good people here have taken the time to give you their opinion in a kind and supportive manner. You don't seem to be convinced in the slightest. So be it. Sell the egg and table and go back to your WSM and cook to your hearts content. We will somehow survive. I'm sure someone will start a thread and take bets on who will end up with your table. It's almost as though there is something fishy going on here. it seems like you are either from the mother ship trashing your product so that all of the eggheads will jump right in with testimonials on how wonderful the big green egg is and why they love it or you are from Weber trying to see if you can attract some of BGE's worshippers away or is it simply that you are screaming out for attention. It's time for you to make a decision. S**t or get off the pot. 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    mick7607 said:
    Except Gamecocks.

Oh well that counts me out!
    Duncan, SC
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    This thread is starting to get boring. Here's the deal. So many good people here have taken the time to give you their opinion in a kind and supportive manner. You don't seem to be convinced in the slightest. So be it. Sell the egg and table and go back to your WSM and cook to your hearts content. We will somehow survive. I'm sure someone will start a thread and take bets on who will end up with your table. It's almost as though there is something fishy going on here. it seems like you are either from the mother ship trashing your product so that all of the eggheads will jump right in with testimonials on how wonderful the big green egg is and why they love it or you are from Weber trying to see if you can attract some of BGE's worshippers away or is it simply that you are screaming out for attention. It's time for you to make a decision. S**t or get off the pot. 
    Reading comprehension is hard for some people...
    Boom
  • mick7607
    mick7607 Posts: 85
    Either I'm missing something here or you are. None of your conspiracy theories are correct. I'm just an old man in a small Southern town that got disgruntled with an expensive piece of equipment. I reached out for help and got it. I thanked the many kind souls that responded in a positive way. I said in a post last night that I would stick with my bge and continue to learn. You obviously missed that. Your animosity on an otherwise congenial forum is appalling.
    Laurens,SC
  • johnkitchens
    @mick7607 I am glad to hear that you are going to hang in there a while longer. I think you will come to love your egg. I wish you were closer. I would like to meet you. 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited March 2015
    Well said @mick7607
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • im hoping for posts of more cooks. Im betting mick can teach everybody else a thing or two with that much experience. 

Little Rock, AR

• johnkitchens
    im hoping for posts of more cooks. Im betting mick can teach everybody else a thing or two with that much experience. 
    +1

• mick7607
    mick7607 Posts: 85
    Got ribs planned for the weekend. Prob Sunday since it's gonna rain and I won't be able to tee it up. Pics will follow. 
    Laurens,SC