Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peter Reinhart Pizza

Options
Craftsy (a site with courses) has a free pizza class by Peter Reinhart.  I decided to use the recipe to make a pizza on my large BGE.

First I made the dough.  It's more or less a no-knead dough that rests overnight in the refrigerator so you need to plan ahead a little.  I used the American-Style "Neapolitan" Pizza dough.  He has another recipe in the Craftsy class for a Naples-Style dough that uses a little less water that I'm going to try next time.  

I fired up the lump charcoal in the BGE with my drillmaster heat gun from Harbor Freight.  I didn't want to get super-hot since I was using the American-Style dough.  

Making the sauce is easy - just put everything together and hit with immersion blender.  

After about 6 minutes.  Bottom was getting a nice char.

Yummy!

Comments

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Very nice!

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks great! Love simple topping pies. Had one last week with just cheese and spinach. Delicious!!

I have Reinhart's book, Breadmaker's Apprentice, but haven't tried his pizza dough. Thanks for the reminder about Craftsy. I knew, but had forgotten. Need to take a class!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice looking pie 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Plain and simple and it looks fantastic.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • MunchkinRedux
    Options
    "I used the American-Style "Neapolitan" Pizza dough. "

My hands-on favorite pizza dough for making pies at home.  If you like pizza, Reinhart's book - American Pie - is well worth having.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Reinhart is the best.  Nice looking pie!

Options
    Good looking pie. Been way too  long since I've made pizza on the Egg. I sure do miss it. Stupid Doc's orders.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• shannonlcorum
    Options

I have that Craftsy class, just haven't watched it yet. I've been craving some pizza. I was going to fire up my wood fired oven out back, but now you have me wanting to try pizza on my egg. Wasn't two weeks ago they were both covered with snow. Now it's been between 50-70 degrees every day. Come on spring!

ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    My name happens to be Reinhart, so I've been following "Uncle Pete" and use his Apprentice book often to make just about everything flour based.
    He has a fantastic recipe for cornbread, by the way.

You did a really nice job with the boule - excellent technique.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    it doesn't appear that you have any space between your stone & your setter which would explain why you were getting char on the bottom of your pie after 6 minutes while the top wasn't quite done...  try throwing some spacers in there & it'll come out more even next time.  Might want to leave the briquettes out too & go straight lump
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania