Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge Question

Options
Anybody ever notice something and wonder if something has changed or it it has always been that way and you just never noticed?

When I open the lid on my Large without the daisy wheel, if I open all the way and let go the lid drops down back another inch or two before holding the lid up.  If I open it all the way WITH the daisy wheel on, the lid stays fully open.  It is like the extra weight is holding it open.

Is there something I need to do to the hinge or is this normal?

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Doesn't sound right to me,  the weight of the daisy wheel shouldn't be enough to affect how far open the lid stays. How old is your egg? I would inspect the bands and hinges.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    What on the hinge would need adjustment?
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I would make sure the bands are even and the band bolts are tight. Make sure nothing is broken or out of place if it's an old egg. If you have a new egg than I would wonder if it's assembled correctly or a defective hinge. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Springs - check the condition of your springs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    It is about 3 years old.  @RRP what am I looking for on the springs?  They aren't broken or anything.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    It is about 3 years old.  @RRP what am I looking for on the springs?  They aren't broken or anything.
    I thought they might be bad. Apparently that is not your case. I have heard of people trying to replace their BGE springs with common hardware store springs and they didn't cut it.

Now a different idea to check. How level is your egg? and where is it located? Typically most decks and patios are built with a slight degree rather than flat for sake of water run off.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    After the comments I went out and fiddled with it.  The bolts that serve as the hinge directly behind the bolts holding the springs in place were loose.  Tightened em up and all seems fine now.  Thanks guys.