Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked turkey

Options
magyar
magyar Posts: 19
I read a lot of posts on how to smoke turkey. Some of you guys are over-thinking it and making it too complicated. Got a 15# frozen turkey from Publix. Already had a lot of salty stuff in it. No need to brine. The secret to crispy skin is to put in the refrig overnight to dry out. Before cooking, bring to room temp, rub on a little oil on the skin so your salt and pepper sticks. No need for any other spices, but hey, whatever floats your boat!  Put a small onion, and celery stick, quartered in the cavity, truss, put on 350 degree egg. You can use a remote thermometer, but it's done when you can wiggle the leg! I used pecan wood chips, but apple, or grapevine would work. Mesquite and hickory are way too smokey for poultry. I'll try to post a pic, but not too computer savvy!

Comments

• magyar
    magyar Posts: 19
    Options
    P.S. It came out really moist, including  the breast. My Beer Club nearly wiped it out. I've got a small bag of leftover meat for a smoked turkey pot pie!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Certainly looks good. Nice color. I wouldn't consider spatch over thinking. Just works for me. As for the rub, what else am I suppose to put it on? I have tons. I use to get socks now I get rubs
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice. Try 400 direct raised spatchcocked. Very easy as well
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Really looks GREAT! Reminds me of the bird I took to my B-I-L a few years back. He said he would carve it so I left the kitchen - when I came back the bird was still intact, but he had gone to the effort of peeling all the golden skin off and threw it in the trash! Never again...never again
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
     but he had gone to the effort of peeling all the golden skin off and threw it in the trash!
    That is just plain sacrilegious.

BTW, WTF happened to the ability to highlight text.  I don't know who is trying to "improve" this forum, but all they seem to be doing is effing it up.  First emoticons go strange, then buttons for like & agree & etc disappear.  and now I want to highlight a particular segment of text and that option seems to have vanished.  This forum was working fine before someone tried to fix something that wasn't broken. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.