Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wet Pulled Pork

Options
Hi Everyone,
This may seem like a dumb question, but I've always wondered why Pulled Pork is wet almost everywhere it is served, including some "real" bbq joints. I know a lot of people do the crock pot thing and add stock or soda or something, but do bbq establishments add a second step after smoking it, like simmering it? And if so, what is used - bbq sauce, cider vinegar, just the juices? I prefer a lot of bark, so I usually just smoke it, pull it, and leave the bbq sauce to the discretion of the diner, but I've always been curious what the other guys do. I thought this was the place to ask.  Thanks!

Dan

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    In my experience with food service, food is held in steam tables to keep hot until serving, like this:

I am guessing that the meat releases juices that it then sits in or they add something like broth or juice to the pan to maintain moisture. Many places also mix in their sauce to add moisture during holding. Very few establishments "pull to order". 
  • dlosapio
    Options
    Thanks - I was thinking it was something like that. I like how mine turns out, but I didn't know if there was another technique or something.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Being a Chef you can rest assured they are adding moisture for it to hold in the bain marie. Holding food well above 140 for a period of time it will dry out from the bottom (Putting a second insert will alleviate some of this, Same idea as a double boiler), and from being exposed to air from the lid being removed. That is not to say that Eggselsior is also correct that some fat and some natural juices may leach out when holding for service.  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Perhaps another reason is to 'bulk' up the product if it's sold by weight? just saying  :)
    canuckland
  • MelSharples
    Options
    It could also depend on what area of the country you are in as some places (Carolinas) add a vinegar and spice concoction to the pork.  I am always wary of any place that serves their pulled pork with the sauce already applied, I assume you are hiding something.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta