Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs on AR

Options
Going to do ribs tomorrow have had my egg for about two weeks but this will be my first indirect cook.

I plan on keeping it simple for my first batch of ribs will aim for 230-240 with a simple rub for about 5 hours with some applewood.

I'll be using the R&B AR putting the oval stone in the middle while using the BGE grid on the top with the ribs.

Any advice would be great...on a 4-5 hour cook is a decent size chunk of applewood enough to give the ribs a bit of a smoke taste/ring?

Comments

• Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    Options
    Maybe a couple, three large chunks might be better.

If you're doing spares, then I think you'll be closer to 6 hours at a 250 temp.

Don't forget a drip pan.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Baby backs or spares? If spares at that temp you may be on there a little longer. I would put a few chunks on there for noticeable smoke. One may do for some but I don't taste it with one. Some do several. For spares I got 5 hours at 250 with rub only and 1 hour with sauce If you pick up the rack and it bends 90 degrees without breaking it's done. Good luck and post pics 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • dirty_denim86
    dirty_denim86 Posts: 138
    edited February 2015
    Options
    They will be baby backs sorry should have mentioned that.

I'll try with two chunks off the bat and see what kind of result that gives me.

i picked up the foil ring so I'll be using that above the oval stone.

Should I use a pan with some water or is it not require with the egg?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

No water pan needed. Some throw a bed of salt on the foil to keep droppings from burning. some don't do anything. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Will someone tell me just how the oval ring is "wrapped with foil"? Do the sides and bottom fit INSIDE the ring, or come up the outside of the ring, which would leave the ring cruddy?
    Judy in San Diego
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Judy Mayberry  - I wrap one time from underneath and then over the top with another piece that gets cruddy. I replace the top wrap after each cook but can get a few cooks out of the piece that is on the bottom. I'm not sure if that's the right way or not but that's what I do. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    Chubbs said:

No water pan needed. Some throw a bed of salt on the foil to keep droppings from burning. some don't do anything. 
    Is it standard to baste them? I'm just worried about them drying out would like to avoid that.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Standard is a hard answer.  Several folks do baste them, but in the egg it's not necessary.  A water filled drip pan and basting will slow down the cooking.

Either low-n-slow or turbo are the same ... put them on and only check to see if they're done.  Bend test or toothpick test ... temp is a little harder and not always accurate 'cuz of the thinness of the meat.

Baby backs with 250ish indirect will take about five hours, so you're on the right track.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    They won't dry out as long as you don't let the temperature get out of control.  Either use the bend test or toothpick test for doneness.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • dirty_denim86
    dirty_denim86 Posts: 138
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just tossed the ribs on about an hour ago...current temp is 248F on the maverick when I added the ribs the temperature climbed to 275-280F but I was able to get it back down to the 250F range pretty quickly.

I'll probably open the lid 3 hour into the cook just to take a look at the progress...

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I emailed Tom at CGS and asked just how to wrap foil on the oval ring.  His reply:

Hi Judy,

1. lay 2 -4 sheets of foil flat on table, foil slightly bigger than ring
    2. set foil ring on foil.
    3. crimp the foils sheets, all sheets together at once, over the foil ring.

important not to tear or crimp the foil inside the ring.

tom
    Judy in San Diego
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    Ribs were great...after about 5 hours they didn't pass the bend test does this mean the cooking temperature during the cook was too low?
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Not necessarily to low. It sounds like they might not have been fully cooked (since they didn't pass the bend test). Either go a little longer at your previous temp, or raise the temp for a shorter cook time.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    Options
    Ribs were great...after about 5 hours they didn't pass the bend test does this mean the cooking temperature during the cook was too low?
    Generally means that you could have cooked them longer.  For me, spares take right around six/six and a half hours at 250.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    I cook them the baby backs for 5 hours exactly.

The temperature was down around 230 but I tried to keep it closer to 250 on the maverick.
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    I had cooked the ribs on the very top of the adjustable rig could that have been why the ribs didn't bend after 5 hours possibly?