Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trout?

I've only cooked trout once, years ago, when my oldest "caught" one at a moose lodge kids day. Since then he's been convinced it's his favorite fish. Picked up a pack of fresh ones at Costco today (they still have their faces!!!!) What the hell do I do now?
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Dust them with a little seasoned flour and pan fry them in CI fry pan.

Or, liberally season the cavity and stuff with a few lemon slices and grill them - I'd go raised direct, maybe 300-350. When the fins and tail start to crisp up and the head starts to pull away a bit from the body, they're good to go. If you work carefully, you can use the head to pull the spine and all the bones out in one shot.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    edited February 2015
    @PNWFoodie I did a post last spring "From The River To The Egg". Check it out. It is a Steven Riechlen recipe. Really really good.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Legume said:

Dust them with a little seasoned flour and pan fry them in CI fry pan.

Or, liberally season the cavity and stuff with a few lemon slices and grill them - I'd go raised direct, maybe 300-350. When the fins and tail start to crisp up and the head starts to pull away a bit from the body, they're good to go. If you work carefully, you can use the head to pull the spine and all the bones out in one shot.

Exactly.  As I cook most of my trout after catching them in the back country while backpacking, pan fry is my normal technique.  I usually take some bacon fat in a sealed container for frying and my own special seasoning mix/dry rub per se.  Of course, for me, my definition of fresh trout, is killed, cleaned, and in the frying pan within 15 minutes.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Legume said:

Agreed. Can stuff w. other things. Grapes work OK. But mostly its the crispy. Hot fire, maybe a brush of salted butter.

If they smell "fishy," soak in lemon juice before, and rinse.
  • I like to stuff with diced apples and leeks saluted in butter.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Spotted Sea Trout I've done whole similar to what @Legume described earlier. I also to fillet them with skin on direct with S&P and lemon.... fillet no skin and CI skillet blacken.
    Have you already cooked em up Sandy?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    edited February 2015
    @NPHuskerFL Cooking them tonight. Going to season and lightly flour then pan fry. Hoping for the best.
    Sandy
  • NPHuskerFL
    Sounds like a great plan to me Sandy. I'll look for the plating finale.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    @PNWFoodie, season them how ever you like. Wrap in bacon, grill to desired doneness. Eat the bacon and throw away the trout. Nah, just kidding. This is how I cook them when I catch them. I use lemon pepper a lot on trout.
  • PNWFoodie
    edited February 2015
    @NPHuskerFL No plated shots. Wasn't very pretty, lol. Overall, really just a mild kind of fish. Meh. Wasn't disagreeable, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to to it again. Trying to come up with an idea to use the leftovers for....
    Sandy
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    PNWFoodie said:

@NPHuskerFL No plated shots. Wasn't very pretty, lol. Overall, really just a mild kind of fish. Meh. Wasn't disagreeable, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to to it again. Trying to come up with an idea to use the leftovers for....

its that farm raised rainbow trout thats meh, you need a fresh brooktrout from a mountain stream
    ;) with those leftovers you can deep fry some of these

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171350/salmon-croquettes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    PNWFoodie said:

Wow!!!  Maybe that is because it was "store bought".  As I said, my experience with trout is predominantly extremely fresh.  But my son, myself, and my fellow backpacking buddies always love to eat a good pan fried trout.  It is my favorite fish to eat.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    IMHO "farm raised" fish period are sorta meh. In your area fresh wild caught should be available....no?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • PNWFoodie
    @NPHuskerFL I've never bought trout before now, so really couldn't say. Lesson learned.

@Zmokin See above.

@fishlessman See above, above. :)

I'm thinking I will just stick with what we get wild here in the PNW. As for the leftovers...anyone have a cat? ;)
    Sandy
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I've smoked store bought trout and that is fine, since you're loading it up with brine and smoke flavor, but I'm with @Zmokin, catch em fresh and they're a totally different fish - but will always be mild.