Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any rice - particularly wild rice recommendations out there?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
OK - I admit it - I LOVE RICE!!!

I like white, brown, Forbidden Black, and "white and wild". I don't care much for Uncle Ben's or Minute Rice! Years ago Little Steven explained to me that what is sold in the US as "wild rice" is not actually rice at all but harvested grass grown in swamps. What I'm looking for are recommendations for wild rice or a blend by brand name for a terrific rice dish.  BTW tonight I fixed a scrimp meal and I chose Forbidden Black which gives a cool presentation twist on the dinner plate in case you've never seen black rice.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Arborio rice makes a great risotto.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,111
    Options
    Don't know the brand, but Costco sells a Basmati Rice I really like.  It comes in a 20lb white bag with purple or blue sides.

It cooks up very nice and isn't real starchy.  Personally I avoid all minute rices.  They may have their place, but that is not in my house.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    Options
    An old picture from the past, but you'll get the idea about a "different presentation" on your plate.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Take a look at this place Ron. <<br>
    http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/index.html
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    @RRP How is the flavor on that forbidden rice? It's something I have been wanting to try.
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    I am by no means a rice expert. But we bought this at coscto and have liked it.

It's from California, has to be good! image
  • RRP
    Options
    Hungry Joe said:@RRP How is the flavor on that forbidden rice? It's something I have been wanting to try.

Personally the taste of most ALL rice is bland. I find I need to kick the Forbidden Black up "a bunch" by using salt and butter AFTER it is cooked.
    Don't salt and butter it during the cook and DONT try to speed the cook along as the rice will explode, look crappy and taste even worst! Honestly I think it comes down to preferring Black Forbidden for sake of it's rich black appearance on the plate. If it is just me for some dish I will choose plain ol' polished long grain white rice with butter! YUMMY!!!
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I know you asked for wild rice but we used to get a really good basmati from one of those bins in a store that is long gone now. I have not been able to find one since that tastes as good as that did. This thread had me looking around the internet and I may try this. The basmati I remember had a grassy sort of taste which we really liked. Supposedly this stuff might be similar to what I remember.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00269WUTC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

• RRP
    Options
    XC242 said:

Take a look at this place Ron. <<br>
    http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/index.html

interesting for sure! Trust me I wil be ordering some tomorrow. Thanks for the link!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've had good wild rice from a place called Christmas Point. As mentioned, it is not the same species as rice. My experience is that it takes perhaps 3 times longer to cook than regular rice. The hulls are very thick, and it takes awhile for the water to get in and cook the interior. When cooked, they can expand in volume 3 - 4 times.

Anson Mills of So. Carolina has resumed cultivation of Carolina Gold rice.Very, very good stuff, but quite expensive. I usually reserve it for holiday cooking. The Mill only produces the oldest fashioned grains it can, the sort of food raised antebellum. As an aside, their grits are spectacular.

One of the problems w. most store bought rice is that it is stale, and has lost whatever aroma it might have had. Sort of the Wonder Bread of the rice world. Over-processed and bland, but cheap and convenient.

Most Asians demand that the rice they eat have aroma, which means the rice must be no older than 1 year, and for some rices, 6 months. An Asian market in my town typically has a ton or more of rice in 20 pound bags. About a month ago, a lot of it disappeared, and a customer asked the owner where it went. His reply was that he was just making room for the new crop rice. Most of the bags I could see last week were prominently marked "new crop 2015"

For regular use, I us a brand called Calrose, (grown in California), and a variety called Botan. I understand its considered good for sushi because it tend to stick together when cooked. They also offer a variety called Nishiki, which I think pretty good, but I like the Botan better.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Konriko's rices are really good.

For example:  http://www.conradricemill.com/details.asp?ProdID=77
    NOLA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Big fan of Lundberg rice products, including their wild rice.  

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited January 2015
    Options
    We are also lovers of rice in no particular order Jasmine, Basmati, Bomba.

Several years ago Ripnem (Adam) hooked me up with some from Minnesota and it was very good.

think this is it.
    http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/

This Louisiana rice  has the flavor and aroma of fresh buttered popcorn as it cooks.  Been getting  for over 20 years : http://www.stanselrice.com/

+1 for, Konrico has several different packages, but our favorite is the pecan rice great with poultry. I buy it in Publix here in Florida.

Kalushyans has the largest selection of rices I have ever found.  From them our  favorite is Kalijira item #40.  Little pricy but worth it.

Don't make this very often but is a fantastic dish with lamb.

Rice, Persian, Pistachios & Dill

Tah-dig--The Crunchy Crust of rice on the bottom of the pot--is considered by many to be the prize of Persian rice..  Here it is revealed by the surprise of pistachios, whose natural sweetness is brought out by the dill.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Cups Basmati Rice, (1 1/4 Lb.)
    4 Qt. Water
    3 Tbs Salt, for water
    3/4 Stick Butter, Unsalted (6 Tbs.)
    2/3 Cup Dill, Chopped, Fresh
    1 Cup Pistachios, Shelled, Chopped Coarsely (5 Ozs.)

Procedure:

1. Rinse rice in several changes of cold water in a large bowl until the water runs clear. Drain in a sieve.

2. Bring water and salt to a boil in a 6-qt. heavy pot and parboil rice., uncovered, 5 minutes. Drain in large sieve.

3. Melt butter in bottom of cleaned heavy pot and spoon rice over it, enough to cover bottom about 1/2-3/4 inch thick, then alternating with sprinkles of dill and pistachios and mounding loosely, ending with rice. Usually 4-5 layers. Make 5-6 holes in rice to bottom of pot with round handle of a wooden spoon, then cover the pot with a kitchen towel and a heavy lid. Fold edges of towel up over lid (to keep towel from burning) and cook rice, undisturbed over moderately low heat until tender and a crust forms on the bottom, 30-35 minutes.

4. Spoon loose rice onto a platter and dip bottom of pan in a large bowl of cold water 30 seconds to loosen tah-dig (the rice crust on the bottom). Remove tah-dig with a large spoon and serve in a seperate bowl or over loose rice.

Recipe Type: Side Dish

Source
    Author: Unknown
    Source: Richard Howe, 2001/05/25

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i gave up with rice, except for jasmine cooked in my korean stone rice cooker. seems thats the only cook im consistent with. a big thankyou to the korean lady that set me up with that stone pot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I echo @gdenby - Anson Mills Carolina Gold is the best rice I've ever had.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    +2 for the Konriko Pecan rice. Distinct flavor.
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    Haven't tried any wild rice. Jasmine is our favorite. Lived in the Philippines for a few years and it's the closest thing I can find to the fresh rice we had over there. Love the fragrance that fills the house when you cook it.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • globetrotter
    Options
    Lundberg wild rice and brown rice blends are the best. Add a dash of beef or chicken bullion crystals and garlic powder and evoo or butter to the water and it will be awesome.
    Globetrotter  ~It's all smoke and mirrors on my large Big Green Egg~
    A few miles upwind of Ann Arbor, Michigan

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I really like Jasmati rice cooked in chicken broth.
    It is the first rice I can cook without it being sticky or gummy.
    Duncan, SC
  • greenenvy
    Options

Great stuff by @gdenby and @Richard_Fl

I'm a fan of this dish, which cooks up very easily in our rice cooker:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garlic-chicken-fragrant-rice-on-a-budget/

Still trying to work my way through a 2yo bag of wild rice. To me it just tasted...muddy. Presentation was cool, but just not a fan.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I like wild rice blended in with other grains. Usually about 50% brown rice, 25% wild rice, and 25% other grain. Favorite other grains include Farro, Kamut, and Bulgar. Often use unsalted chicken or beef broth for the liquid and add onion and garlic. These other grains are wheat, but I find they give a nice texture and taste contrast to the rice. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• greenenvy
    Options

@jtcBoynton - Do you use a rice cooker? Combining grains sounds interesting, but not sure how to ensure they all cook properly in a rice cooker.

This thread motivated me to dig out my bag of wild rice tonight and give it another go. Using chicken broth this time, and following the recommended ratios (1.5c/4c), it came out a bit goopy, but actually had some decent flavor. Relegated to a side dish for leftover chicken wings. Ran it on the Brown Rice settings per my cooker book, and next time I might try 50/50 brown/wild.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I normally use a rice cooker. The kamut and farro have the same cooking times as brown rice. Wild rice also has a long cooking time. For the grains that have shorter times, I usually blend them with white rice.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    +1 on the Minnesota lake rice. Good stuff
  • RRP
    Options

+1 on the Minnesota lake rice. Good stuff

I took the earlier advice and ordered a bag from them - it was shipped today!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

We are also lovers of rice in no particular order Jasmine, Basmati, Bomba.

Thanks for the recipe! This is turning out to be a very informative thread. Bookmarked.

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but if you like kalijira rice, look for it at a Bangladeshi grocer if you have one near you. Will likely be cheaper than kalustyans. You will probably not find it at Indian or Pakistani grocers though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.