Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some Rib advice

wellsy37
wellsy37 Posts: 21
Team Egg with Pork experiance,

I have done 2 sets of ribs in the past and been disappointing with my final product.. used the 3-2-1 method and sprayed apple juice every hour when there wasn't foil.

My plan is to do three full slabs cutting the spare rib to a St. Louis style placing on the rack attached with indirect heat @225-250 for 5-6 hours.... not foil at all. Using a dry rub

Questions I have
1.) Does a rack vs laying them flat on the grill affect anything? Is there a better way that I don't know about?
2.) How often do I spray with apple juice? Should I use some other concoction to spray?
3.) How do I test the "doneness" while on the rack?
4.) What dry rub should I use? (I live in Austin Texas... do they have that at HEB?)
5.) How do I arrange the smoking wood so that it lasts the whole time instead of just the first couple hours. Do I only use my electric starter on a portion of the lump so that it will spread of the time of the cook?

Any other suggestions would be great! 
I am locked into never covering with foil as I want to do something different

Will post pics by Monday of the results!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    What didn't you like about your previous attempts?
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Can't help much as I always foil. Question to you when you did foil what liquid did you put in with the foil? I put honey and butter and brown sugar down on the foil then place meat side down on top of all. And I do a 2-2-1 method. You can tell when they are done by looking at the pull back on the bone. Should pull back a inch or so. Or do the bend test. Of my favor ate way to tell it just to sneak a bone and eat it. Lol
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • 1.) I don't think standing up or laying flat changes the way they cook.
    2.) Durning the first 3 hours I spritz every hour with apple cider vinegar/apple cider mix
    3.) @RRP I think said meat temp between bones is 195 - 205 if memory serves me. Otherwise I just like to do the bend test or prick the meat with tooth pic and feel if they are done.
    4.) I use a secret blend of 14 spices but store bought grocery store rub like Famous Daves RIb RUb would be fine as well.
    5.) I like to use 2 - 3 fist size chunks for smoking. Put them in and let the VOC's burn off until you get a nice thin blue smoke about 30 minutes before putting on the ribs. Just push them down into the lump from the top.

If i am cooking spares I like the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 or some combination otherwise with Baby Backs I like to go 6 hours at 250 with no foiling.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• What didn't you like about your previous attempts?
    The meat was too tough.... was not "fall off the bone"... no real moisture in the meat
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Then not foiling is not your answer. Maybe the liquid or amount of you put in your foil. If you want fall of the bone, stick with the foil and modify your method from there.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• wellsy37 said:
    What didn't you like about your previous attempts?
    The meat was too tough.... was not "fall off the bone"... no real moisture in the meat
    If the meat was tough and dry then they were undercooked. Rib meat when overcooked will fall off the bone and have a mushy texture.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Mickey said: "Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time."
    Will this work for a full rack of untrimmed spares if everything else is the same.
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    I got the famous daves at heb. It's pretty good. I Wish grocery stores had better choices. Gonna have to order online to get any of the bada$$ stuff everyone raves about on here im afraid.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Don't spritz, cools down the meat and increases cooking time due to evaporative cooling. Sounds like they just weren't done yet. A lot of the sensation of moisture in ribs comes from the break down of tissues and fats, not water. That's why they were likely dry and tough. A lot of the water had cooked out but the tough stuff hadn't had a chance to break down yet. Pull them when a skewer can slide through the meat between bones like butter.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Love the turbo methodimage
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    As far as rubs, it depends on your taste.  This is one that I like:
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

If you prefer more of a Memphis flair :

Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    You want fall off the bone your gonna have to foil. Try emerils rib rub. It's good and ez to find. Expand from there. Skewer test is a good way or if you want you can use a thermo. 200° there done. It's just tricky to be accurate. Pull back on bone is also good way or combination of all. Good luck and let us know how you make out
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited January 2015
    I stopped using foil years ago. Only reason to do it is to infuse sweet liquid into the meat, sort of like a pre-saucing.

Don't mess with spraying/spritzing. As above, it just slows down the cooking. Ceramic cookers hold in enough moisture at an even temp that no extra water is needed. The amount of flavor added is minimal,

My impression is that ribs done laying flat are a little more consistent. Usually if I'm using a rack, it is because I need to cram in as much as possible. So some portions don't get quite as much airflow as others. And there is a vertical temperature gradient, so the ribs are not quite at the same temperature from one end to the other.

I'm not to good with the toothpick test, so called. I use the bend test. If the slab folds under it own weight, its done. Or, if I can pull a bone partially out w. my fingers, also done.

Mix your lump w. chips or chunks. FWIW, another effect of ceramic cookers is that the tight air flow control doesn't produce much visible smoke. The wood bakes away into vapor once the water in it evaporates.

I've had John Henry's rubs, which are made to his east Texas taste. I see from  the store locator at the company site, there are several places that carry them in & around Austin. Curiously a few are liquor stores.  Also, check out any local butchers. Around me, better shops package their own blends, and they are often better than average.
  • Team.... thank you all for the inputs..... it seems I did not cook the ribs long enough in the past.... I went with a 3 - 2 - 1.5ish method and that seem to get them looser.

Used famous daves for a rub... and Coke, honey, and butter for a foil treatment...... 

the cooking was perfect... need to work on the spices!!!!

thanks to all!!!! would post pics... but I was chasing my 2 year old around and did not have time to take them.... barely had time to watch over the meat.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Try Academy for rubs as well, they usually have a decent selection.  Not as many as HEB, but what they have are usually higher quality / smaller brands.  Watch the salt content in the rubs - salt ruins ribs for me since the surface area to meat ratio is so much different than a brisket or pork butt, so I use rubs that have less salt so I can go heavier on the flavor.

If you're near the airport at all, Callahan's on 183 has a good selection of rubs you don't see at HEB or Academy.

I don't know about spares, but if you like baby backs, the three pack from Costco has the membrane already removed.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Sample packs from rub manufacturers yield a great value. It hurts to spend money on a bottle of rub that the family votes down. 

Oakridge BBQ has two different sample packs ... low cost and free shipping.  Try the "Dominator Sweet Rib Rub" first. 

I received a sample pack of several Dizzy Pig rubs through a friend.  You can assemble your own sample pack on their web site ... go to the one(s) you want to try and click on "Select Size" where you'll find their sample size package.  Dizzy Pig certainly got their money back on that package ... found three of them we liked and now have stocked at home.  Include Raging River in your sample pack.

Penzeys seems to be overlooked in the BBQ world.  They shouldn't be, because their spices are very fresh and very good.  And again, you don't have to buy a half pound jar to try them out.  Try their English Prime Rib rub ... it's one of our staples.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    edited January 2015
    I agree with everyone else.  I have only done 4 rib cooks at this point.  I have cooked 3 racks each time (costco pack of loin backs).  I use a rib rack, I have the plate setter legs up, I put a foil pan with water then put the grill with the rack on it.  I cook for 5 hours at 225 and they come out great every time.  I don't open the egg except to put the ribs in and then finally take them out.

The only times I have had disappointing results was due to the rub.  Honestly so far I have tried 4 rubs and my favorite is Rudy's rub.  I have been trying to get other rubs because my kids think the Rudy's is too spicy.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @ummgood ... use a different rub on each of your three racks for the next cook.  Maybe use Rudy's on one as a benchmark or maybe three new ones.  Then get the family involved in voting for the best ... the high vote getter becomes the new benchmark as you add in two new ones next time.  The kids will love the process.

Sample packs will provide a low cost trial and error success test method.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    @ummgood ... use a different rub on each of your three racks for the next cook.  Maybe use Rudy's on one as a benchmark or maybe three new ones.  Then get the family involved in voting for the best ... the high vote getter becomes the new benchmark as you add in two new ones next time.  The kids will love the process.

Sample packs will provide a low cost trial and error success test method.

Thanks I love that idea! I will have to get some sample packs.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330