Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanted: One fabulous smoke ring for my brisket

Options
The Virginian
The Virginian Posts: 275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear All, [p]My brisket has many desireable qualities, but alas a smoke ring has never been one of them. How do you get a good smoke ring? I want to hear from folks who actually get a good smoke ring on their briskets on a regular basis using the Egg. I know you are out there, and I hope you will share your secrets. [p]In KCBS competitions they instruct judges not to add appearence points for smoke rings, but you know what, people do anyway, and who can blame them. What is prettier than that nice arc of red framing a beautiful slice of brisket? [p]Thanks, [p]Brett

Comments

• OctoberGlory
    Options
    Brett,

I did a 4-1/2 lb. brisket on my large the other weekend that had a beautiful smoke ring. It was 9 hours indirect at 240 dome temps with a couple chunks of mesquite to get the smoke going at the start.

Tasty.

OctoberGlory
  • Madhatter
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Put some tenderquick in your rub....you can get a good smokering in the oven with that stuff....[p]Thats why it's not suposed to be judged

• The Virginian
    Options
    Madhatter,
    I am looking for a nonchemical solution.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    The Virginian,[p]Smoke the brisket heavy and very early in the cook while the meat will absorb more of the smoke, helping to produce a better ring.[p]I normally smoke a nice handful of wood as the temperature is coming up to cooking temperature. I place the smoking wood directly on the fire so it all does get used quickly. I close the daisey and completely open the bottom vent to keep the fire going and keep the smoke in the egg.[p]Smoking this way has smoke coming out the bottom vent and lasts for around 15 minutes. I smoke no more during the entire cook. I always have a nice smoke ring.[p]The advantage of doing it this way is that I have never over smoked a piece of meat.[p]Spin
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    The Virginian, Ditto what Spin said, although I still smoke more during the cook. I don't know if the type of wood affects the smoke ring, but I get great smoke rings with a medium/large chunk of mesquite at the beginning of the cook. It smokes for a couple of hours, at least.

• JeffHughes
    Options
    The Virginian,[p]a cooler(as opposed to room temp) brisket is supposed to smoke ring better...[p]Try smoking fat side down at 240 or so, with a fist size chunk or so of seasoned oak or pecan...[p]Works for me...[p]Regards--Jeff
  • aka mr. Earl
    Options
    The Virginian,[p]
    Over the years I've noticed that Woodoogies gets obscene smoke rings.[p]I don't know all his secrets, but one of them seems to be seriously prime grade brisket. [p]

• Citizen Q
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Cold meat, no more than 1/2 hour from the ice to the Egg and heavy smoke early with low dome temp, around 200 degrees works for me. I use dry chunks for smoke, 1 mesquite, 2 hickory and 3 cherry, with a couple of handfuls of soaked cherry and maple chips thrown on top.
    I started cooking fat side down last year after Nature Boy and others posted here about getting better results with DrBBQ's method and have definitely noticed more consistency with better flavor and tenderness, I can't say for sure how it's affected the smoke ring though. I do notice that I get almost no smoke ring when cooking flats, so I stick to packers.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Maybe one of these will help give you great smoke rings.[p]zeroblaster280.jpg[p]It shoots smoke rings...[p]Spring "Smoke Gets In My Eyes" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

[ul][li]Smoke Ring Shooter[/ul]
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    brisket05.jpg
    <p />The Virginian,
    I coated the entire flat for 10 minutes in Tenderquick. Wash it off. Added Cowlick/sugar rub. Smoke as normal.
    If you let the Tenderquick sit too long you get pastrami (sp).[p]I get about a 1/4" ring everytime.
    Experiment with it.[p]Doug

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    5a1453bd.jpg
    <p />The Virginian,
    ive always got enough smoke ring to be happy with using mostly cherry chunks and a little hickory with brisket. i put it over a cold stone straight from the fridge and cook fat side down at 220. large chunks of wood. 2 cherry 1 hickory seems to work, but ive never used anything else for brisket. ive been cooking a picnic over them and it still looks the same to me.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    nice box!! . ..what kinda scores did you get??

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    The Virginian,
    This was all I could get on my brisket after a 11-hour cook but I think I know why. [p]Brisketslicedafter11hourcook.jpg[p]I only used a handfull of hickory chunks. Next time I will use a double handfull, maybe more. I've seen offset cooker briskets with really nice smoke rings and they only used hickory or pecan logs for the fire. I also tried using wet hickory chunks and it seems to work okay but I think it changes the flavor somewhat. Maybe too much smoke.[p]Spring "Where There's Smoke There's An Egghead" Chicken

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Middle of the road overall ... I forgot to add the sugar to the cowlick ... it was really spicy! I got killed on taste. Tenderness was right on. Presentation got 9's and 8's. I straightened the meat & painted on some beef broth before sending on. Picture it shiny and straight. [p]How did you score it?[p]Doug

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    Oh yeah .. cherry wood as well.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    97892e6c.jpg
    <p />The Virginian,[p]For a natural smoke ring, I've had the best luck with 1. Starting on a low fire (175°) with established smoke for about an hour, then ramping the cooker up to 225°. 2. Using brisket straght from the fridge to the smoker. 3. Using mesquite lump and usually a mix of pecan or cherry.[p]I'm a real stickler to getting the smoke just right. There are vent pictures of a Klose and my BGE on my Intro-to-Q page, at the bottom of my homepage.[p]In the last several years, the food safety (danger zone) issue comes up more and more so I'm more apprehensive of step 1 and often skip it.

~thirdeye~[p][p]

[ul][li]Click Here[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    to be honest, looked like a 7 to me . ..one, because the slices could have been placed in there a little neater, and 2. it looks a little dry. .. but if you straightend them up and added some moisture to them, i can certainly see where and why you got the 8s and 9s. . .

• The Virginian
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Thanks, everyone, I will play around with some of these great ideas and see what results I get. [p]Brett

• jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    Options
    med_jaymer_brisket1.jpg
    <p />just standard stuff thats already mentioned
    jaymer...

[ul][li]nice looking brisket gallery & other pics[/ul]