Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatty ribs?

Options
The last two times I've had ribs (spares) they sucked because of fat.It's like there is a little meat on the outside but that's it.
'
Now these ribs were on sale so maybe that's the problem but how do suppliers know that there ribs are fatty and that they should be on sale...or do they know this? Seems like sale items are always of lower quality or is that just a coincidence?

Never buying ribs on sale again,anyone else experience this? I'm turned from ribs right now:(

They were cooked at 250 indirect for about 4.5-5 hrs no foil.

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Spares need 6 hours. Try foil next time and try the 3-2-1 method.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    ^^^^ +1
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    I don't wrap anymore. I Just toss them on the egg and let them go until done. I've had them finish in as little as 4 hours. 5 is prob average for me.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Didn't seem like the type of fat that would dissolve and they Definatly seemed done!

• Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    I've had the opposite happen with ribs I got from a local farmer's market. The ribs were so lean compared to ribs from say Costco that I had little success with them. You want some fat. When you say they seemed done did they pass Mickey's bend test that you can see in this thread?...

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    FAT is good for BBQ. Serious comp cooks will spend a lot of time looking for the meat with higher fat content and marbling. Lean protein might be better for your cholesterol, but it ='s dry and flavorless food. Embrace the fat and do as the others have said and render it a bit further.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Most pork sold in the US is much leaner than it once was. I suspect that is true of most pork produced commercially elsewhere. I've read that farmers have trouble selling hogs that do not fall within a certain weight and size and age. I suppose the ones you got were reduced because they were fattier than usual.

However, fat should render out. Well cooked spares and tips should not be greasy, and the remnants of the fat should be rather crispy. Spares usually take me closer to 6 hours at dome 350.

FWIW, I spoke with an elderly fellow who said that during the Depression, he could load up his little red wagon w. spares for free straight from the slaughterhouses in Chicago. At the time, they were considered too fatty to sell for much of anything. At that time, BBQ was hardly known in Chi, so folks who knew how to cook the ribs right got a great bargain. I suppose the reason that PP has only recently been found at most pits is because ribs were the standard for years.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Ok maybe they should have stayed on longer. Will go 6hrs next time. Hopefully I redeem myself tonight with some wings:)

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Try baby backs instead. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia