Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Bread Update

Options

Remember the homemade bread I made and posted three days ago to go with some chicken thighs?

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1175522/homemade-bread-and-chicken-thighs-for-dinner#latest

Well, here's an update:

Spring "Bread Baker Trainer" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

__________________________________________________________________________________

For breakfast this morning, I had some of that bread I bragged about three days ago.

imageDSC02791 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Although it is getting a bit stale after three days, I took a chance that it would make good toast. So I spread a generous amount of real butter on some thin slices and placed them in the toaster oven, buttered side up.

imageButtered Toast by springchickentexas, on Flickr

WOW! The bread's flavor had enhanced by 10 times what it was three days ago. It was delicious.

I'm already making plans to try it again.

As I may have mentioned, I modified a recipe I found on Pinterest. Here it is if anyone wants to try it.

Spring "Bread Baker Trainee" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Dutch Oven Artisan Bread
adapted to cooking on a Big Green Egg

Ingredients
4-4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 Tablespoons yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tablespoons salt

Proof yeast by combining the yeast and the sugar in the bottom of the bowl of a stand mixer and then pour the warm water (mine was 114°) over it. Whisk it by hand lightly. Let it rest for 10 minutes until it is foamy.

In a separate bowl mix 3 cups of the flour with the salt.

Add the flour mixture one cup at a time to the yeast mixture in the stand mixer attached with the dough hook. The dough will start to come together, but still be sticky.
Add the remaining flour in 1/2 cup increments until the dough completely comes together in a ball. Let the mixer knead the dough for a few minutes. Then dump the dough onto the counter and continue to hand-knead for about five minutes, or until the dough is smooth.

Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover the top with a lightly damp kitchen towel. Let it rise for 20-30 minutes.

Preheat Big Green Egg to 400° set up for indirect cooking, raised grid with the both the Dutch oven and lid inside.

Do not punch down the dough.

Simply take out the ball of dough, that should have risen and expanded to half again in size.
Lightly coat both the bottom and the top of the loaf with flour. Carefully drop the dough in the center of the Dutch oven. Cut three slits in the top of the loaf, then replace lid. The cuts will give it that artisan top.

Cook for 30 minutes covered. Then take off the lid and cook for another 7-10 minutes, until the top is golden and crunchy looking. Use a Thermapen to see if bread's interior is over 200° and the probe comes out clean. (Mine got to 205° before the probe came out clean)

Remove bread from the Dutch oven onto a cooling rack. Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Note: Next time I will divide the dough into two balls and cook individually, or freeze the second ball for a future date.
Also, spray a little cooking spray on your knife before slashing the top. The blade will be less likely to stick to the dough.

Comments