Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your favorite coffee brand?

Options

Comments

• scootr2200
    Options
    I like to pick up a pound from a local cafe owner who imports raw coffee bean, roasts, and grinds it in house (or get it whole bean, I haven't stepped into that world yet though!). What I love most is the completmentary large cup of coffee that is given when you buy a pound. I love any medium to dark roast through my French press.
    Western NC Egger since January 2014

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Dunkins and Highlander Grogg

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    Jamican Blue Mtn.& Kona. Whole bean from Fresh Mkt.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Eight O'clock brand.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Fresh & hot. Not too choosy otherwise.
    Flint, Michigan
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    I am a nerd and am a little over the top with coffee.  I buy my coffee from a local roaster and get it the day it is roasted.  I go a max of 2 weeks on a batch so my coffee is fresh.  I basically tried different roasts/types from that roaster until I got the one I like and it is an Ethopian Yirgacheffe from Third Coast Coffee.

I grind at home right before I brew and have a Technivorm Moccamaster I use to brew my coffee.  My wife and I had a taste test day where we dialed in the grinder to different coarseness and brewed and picked the settings we liked best.  We burned through a pound of coffee for about 6 pots until we got it dialed in but it was worth the sacrifice.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    I just purchased 5 lbs of beans at Coffeeshopdepot.com. ESPRESSO SEDA DULCE BLEND Espresso Seda Dulce Blend Stockton Graham Coffees Item # 60-70-00001 This single-origin espresso highlights the finest characteristics of Brazilian coffees in two roast levels. One features the varietal’s natural caramel and chocolate flavors, and the other balances the coffee’s acidity and provides the silky body that gives the blend its name. Seda Dulce is an incredibly sweet straight shot with solid crema, and its silkiness gives character to milk-based drinks. Keyword: Product Line: Unit of Measure: 5 lb bag Case Pack: 5 lb bag Weight: 5.00 lbs Our price: $40.55 I grind it on my Baratza Vario and run it through my Rancilio Silva
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    I purchase medium roast beans from a local roaster. The roasted beans are never more than a week old. Never again will I purchase store bought coffee. You have to try fresh roast in order to understand the HUGE difference in flavor.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• MadcapMagician
    Options
    Did agree.mmy orders are roated then shipped. I put them in Ball jars and vacuum them out.nthen they go into my freezer.
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    This stuff is perfect - it has fresh flavor buds, it's pre-measured, it's ready in no time (water doesn't even have to be hot) and it travels really well.  You have to get the individual packets though, the foil packets really keep that 'just freeze-dried' freshness in.

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love coffee and use whole bean with a kitchen aide burr grinder and a Bonavita maker. I have for years purchased expensive fresh  custom roasted coffee from a local roaster. However, a few months back on a tip, I picked up some Costa Rican beans from Cost Co. Amazing flavor and quality for bulk beans. Since then I have tried their Rwandan, Sumatran, and Peruvian beans. Really great coffee in my opinion, don't miss my custom roast at all. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lit said:
    There's a brand that Costco carries Myorga that I really like.
    This. Mayorga coffee is local to me(about an hour away) and whenever they do a roadshow at Costco I pick up a bag since it is fresh. They carry the Cubano variety all the time. It's great. Otherwise, I bought a Nepresso machine for my wife a couple of years ago and it makes really nice espresso. Otherwise, my favorite is the coffee brought by my wife's family from Puerto Rico. Nothing I have ever had in the US touches it. Either Yaucono or Cibales. Family usually brings a fresh-roasted pound every few months so it's a treat for a couple of weeks. My wife's maternal grandfather used to be a grower for Cibales. Seeing his roasting equipment by his coffee trees was awesome. Right now, he just leases the land to the company to continue growing.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Folgers Classic Roast
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    chockfullofnuts columbian cooked in my coleman 9 cup perculator pot
    :D or an ice cold beer as the sun comes up
    ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Cafe do Ponto......amazing coffee from Brazil. 
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Cameron's .Highlander Grog

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    It's a good thing BGE doesn't sell coffee - like they do lump - 'cus this thread would be sinking fast right about now.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    Try this one some time... They have it at Whole Foods Markets.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I found something this morning so I thought I would share it here for any Keurig 2.0 users.  This place will send you a clip called the freedom clip to trick the "DRM"  so any pod will work.  It is free, you just have to subscribe to their email.  Haven't tried it yet.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    that's fantastic @SmokeyPitt, I thought the chip thing in 2.0 was a stupid idea.  Who do they think they are...Apple?

I buy their coffee from Costco (posted above on page 1 of this thread).
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    My favorite coffee is a lot like my favorite lump - I am always open to something new, but when I find what I like, I like it until I find something better.

My wife calls me a coffee snob, I can't stomach Maxwell House or any of the grocery store bargain brands. Folgers is tolerable, as long as it's their Columbian variety.

I bought enough Peets coffee, direct from their website, to own some of their stock. I like their balance and the fact that they date their grind.

Coffee quality is not just coffee, the brew temperature, contact time with water, water quality, and filter all contribute to the end product, right?

I have a Nespresso machine that makes an espresso shot of really nice quality. This I add to my cup of Peets out of a 25 year old Bunn that still makes a 3 mug pot in less than 3 minutes.

This mixture gives me a caffeine jolt, a cremé, and a silky smooth taste. Occasionally I add a drop of Polish raw honey.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Mkadilla
    Options
    Could agree with you more on Starbucks. Tastes like it is burned.

Had this coffee in Vienna years ago and have been ordering online since:

Normally I order twice a year to help average out the $20 shipping, Most 500g (~1 lb, 1.6 oz) of vacuum packed coffee is around $12, so a good value in bulk. Great coffee.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Folgers Classic Roast
    New Albany, Ohio 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    This gets my vote
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • chipman
    Options
    There is a much bigger and better coffee world out there.
  • Don_Piero
    Options

For my espresso machine, I use Saquella Crema Bar (kind of hard to find).  Its whole beans in a 1kg bag.  Saquella is an old company with a long history in Italy.

Strong coffee with a chocolate flavours.  The only one that has come close from my tastings is the  Lavazza Gran Reserva, which is almost double the price.  

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • greenenvy
    Options

The aptly-named Lavazza Super Crema via Amazon S&S.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• VandyCatGator
    Options
    Starbucks Sumatra is my all time favorite but somehow always tastes better from the store vs home brewed. Also found Peets kcup pods to be the closest thing out there to real coffee from a Keurig although they are very expensive.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Diet coke with lime!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Coffee, my vice after bourbon. We have a ton of good roasters here in the Denver/Boulder area. I recently have been really enjoying Oaxaca out of Mexico. I was gifted over the holiday a bag of Rose Park out of Huntington Beach which was excellent. 90% of the time I brew manual (pour over w/ v60) but will do a micro fine press every once in a while.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.