Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firecraft Rocks

Ordered 100 lbs of Rockwood and they shipped it too me and one bag was completely destroyed.  Shipping me a new one at no cost.  This company is great! If you order over $100 shipping is free.  Great place for Rockwood!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    I've gotten Rockwood from them a couple of times and love the lump.  My first order was great.  The second not so much.  Four of the bags were ripped to busted open.  Outside of the box was fine which was surprising.  I'm not one to gripe so I will see how the next one goes and see what happens.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Just curious - how do they come? USPO or UPS? Are the bags wrapped together in plastic or boxed? Ever get any guff from the delivery person because of the weight?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    They come 4 to a box and are just place in the box.  Not wrapped at all.  I've never heard them complain about the boxes.  Like I said the box was fine.  It was the inside that was pretty messed up,.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    My FedEx guy was pi$$ed when mine were delivered.  Matter of fact he left the box in the back of the delivery truck and rang my doorbell.  I had to go out and help him get the box out of the truck and get it to my driveway.  He wouldn't take it any farther than that.  I had to open the box and carry the bags of lump to my garage one by one from there.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey said:
    My FedEx guy was pi$$ed when mine were delivered.  Matter of fact he left the box in the back of the delivery truck and rang my doorbell.  I had to go out and help him get the box out of the truck and get it to my driveway.  He wouldn't take it any farther than that.  I had to open the box and carry the bags of lump to my garage one by one from there.

I'd be making a call to FedEx if my driver tried to pull that ****. However, I work from home (and have an Amazon Prime habit) and both UPS and FedEx make 3 to 4 stops a week here, so I've got to know my drivers a bit. Both of them are very cool and do a great job. Plus, I throw them each a 20 at Christmas just to acknowledge that I appreciate what they do.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2014
    YEMTrey said:

that is exactly the same as my FedX driver. He must weigh 300 pounds and I have seen him throw packages out his window! He also is a lousy driver and can't back up for diddly! When I know I'm getting something shipped FedX I wait and meet him out at the road! Since we are considered rural the FedX delivery is actually an independent contractor so b*tchin just means talking to him or his wife.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • @RRP I live in a small town and our FedEx ground delivery is also done by an independent contractor. Luckily for me I have a very nice lady driver. 

The first time I ordered from Firecraft she pulled up to my front door and asked my wife to come outside and help her take it off the truck. It was more than the driver could handle. My wife is 5 ft tall and weighs 90 pounds so she wasn't a lot of help. 

Whenever I place my order I tell my wife to bulk up because the driver will need her help! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Does Firecraft ever put their Rockwood on sale?  I'm still using Royal Oak, since it's closer to $.74 per pound rather than $1 a pound.
  • Does Firecraft ever put their Rockwood on sale?  I'm still using Royal Oak, since it's closer to $.74 per pound rather than $1 a pound.
    honestly, man...RW is worth the extra bread. As is OO, and Fogo (if delivered properly).

RO isn't that bad,and I've used well over a 300lbs of it, but really find the others to burn better, longer, hotter and cleaner. I'd still use RO in a pinch (as opposed to say Cowboy) That junk is bunk

Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Does Firecraft ever put their Rockwood on sale?  I'm still using Royal Oak, since it's closer to $.74 per pound rather than $1 a pound.

I'm not sure you're actually saving .26¢ a lb. using RO. If you did an experiment comparing the two side by side judging how fast to start cook, usage per hour, heat output per volume, etc. etc. the rockwood might be the better deal. I ordered a bag the last time I ordered OO from FireCraft. Very pleased with the results and would gladly pay the extra penny or two to use RW over RO.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Since RO now contains dead birds in their bags, I might try the RW.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458

If only they included properly handled dead cow or pig....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited January 2015

Free chicken. Maybe RO is a better deal X_X
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Chelnerul
    Chelnerul Posts: 153
    I tend to agree, I've had one big order with Firecraft and was extremely impressed with their speed and packing acumen - everything arrived in a day and a half (with free shipping) and was just as expected. I will be ordering from them again.
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...