Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thawing 13 lb prime rib

Options
Happy new year to all Ok now I have a 13 lb bone in prime rib that I froze last week, any ideas on fridge thaw time for this New Years eve treat?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Depending on your freezer, you could be looking at well past 12/31 for it to thaw if you started today (12/28).  I have found that the interweb thaw (in a fridge) times come up well-short.  But with beef you can easily cheat with the cold water trick.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    My 13 pound SRF brisket took 5 days in the fridge to completely thaw. After 3 days it was still pretty frozen
    Options
    Great I'll take it out now and put it in a bag Wed for a water bath Thanks a bunch happy new year
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Take it out of the freezer and place on the counter for a few hours. It will form frost on it. The meat will still be frozen. Once the frost melts, move it to the fridge. After it stabilizes, bring It back out for a little bit. I thawed out a 13lb turkey in less than 3 days.  
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

A lot will have to do with how much airflow you have in your fridge. If it is jam packed then you put a big chunk of meat in it will take longer.

Put that same piece of meat into a second fridge that is not packed and it will thaw in a lot less time.

• cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Awesome it's thawed thanks a bunch