Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KC Strip vs NY Strip

Options
I guess this has been bothering me for awhile, so I guess I have to vent a little. I notice that most people on the forum call the strip loin steak a New York strip steak and I guess that is because it sounds better. The thing is the original name was the Kansas City Strip , because that's what the butchers in the stock yards called it, but Chefs in New York decided it couldn't sell a steak there called a KC strip. They are basically the same cit from what I have read. I know its what you have gotten used to calling it, but being from Kansas City it bugs me a little bit. If I ever go to New York again I will order it as a Kansas City Strip just to see their reaction. It is one of my favorite cuts, because to me its between a fillet and a ribeye. I like to buy t-bones because the wife like the fillet and I like the strip. What are your thoughts. I am not asking anyone to change I am just just wondering if anyone alse knows the history about it. On a sad note the last old steak house (Gloden Ox) where the old stock yards used to be has closed its doors after 64 years of business. What a shame.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    Ever had NY style Ribs slathered in NY Masterpiece sauce?

Boy Howdy...if not, you ain't lived
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I grew up in CA.  since the 1960's, the only thing I have ever seen it referred to as has been a New York strip.  Personally, I think it is shaped more like Vermont or New Hampshire.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Now most of the guy's hear would want a Porter House or Cowboy Ribeye.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Here in Texas it's called a NY Strip, in the butcher shops and grocery stores, so that what I've always called it. I like to be different, so I'll start calling it a KC strip if that's the original name. Need someone to show me the evidence first. Personally, I prefer a ribeye but a strip is a close second for me.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I've been to both KC and NYC, although I lived in Manhattan for a while, I think KC is a more friendly place.

Here in Indianapolis where I live now, it's advertised as a NY Strip - but if I order it, I would say: "I'll take the strip, medium rare".

Here's what Wiki has to say:

According to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, the steak is marketed under various names, including Ambassador Steak, Boneless Club Steak, Hotel-Style Steak, Kansas City Steak, New York Steak, and Veiny Steak.[2]

In Australia it is known as a porterhouse steak or sirloin steak.[3]

Delmonico's Restaurant, an operation opened in New York City in 1827, offered as one of its signature dishes a cut from the short loin called a Delmonico steak. Due to its association with the city, it is often referred to as a New York strip steak.[4]

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    I did some checking on the Internet and the Strip has many names it's just living in KC you don't dare ask for a New York strip. The stock yards go way back which are were in the west bottoms.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    DieselkW said:

I've been to both KC and NYC, although I lived in Manhattan for a while, I think KC is a more friendly place.

Here in Indianapolis where I live now, it's advertised as a NY Strip - but if I order it, I would say: "I'll take the strip, medium rare".

Here's what Wiki has to say:

According to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association,
    the steak is marketed under various names, including Ambassador Steak,
    Boneless Club Steak, Hotel-Style Steak, Kansas City Steak, New York
    Steak, and Veiny Steak.[2]

In Australia it is known as a porterhouse steak or sirloin steak.[3]

Delmonico's Restaurant, an operation opened in New York City in 1827, offered as one of its signature dishes a cut from the short loin called a Delmonico steak. Due to its association with the city, it is often referred to as a New York strip steak.[4]

Same thing I read. I have lived in KC fid 30 years now and grew up only 2 hours from here do it has always been home to me. I have been to New York, but it's been a long time. Most people call it a NY Strip, because that city sends cooler and higher class. It's a steak and I like red meat. I too like a ribeye.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Now most of the guy's hear would want a Porter House or Cowboy Ribeye.
    Ribeye is my go to cut for grilling my own steak.  But every now and then I get an urge for that grissly strip on the edge of a New York (er New Hampshire shape cut).  Then other times, I want the melt in your mouth like butter tenderness of a Fillet Mignon.  At steakhouses, my go to order is Prime Rib if offered, if not offered, then quite often I choose the steak that comes with the sides I like.  For instance, if the New York comes with veggies I like and the Ribeye is offered with blue cheese sauce, it's the New York I order.  If the New York comes with mixed veggies that include bell peppers and the sirloin comes with broccoli, then I order the sirloin.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.