Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib

Options
meatfire
meatfire Posts: 29
Hey guys and gals... I'm doing a standing rib tomorrow. Can someone please tell me what temp? Thanks.
“To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.” - AB

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Go reverse sear. Check out nibblemethis website. Good read
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Options
    Cool. Thank you.
    “To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.” - AB
  • meatfire
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    What are your thoughts on performing the sear in an oven? It's a 10 lb rib and I'm concerned about turning my egg and thusly the roast into an inferno. It's my first attempt with this method. Thanks.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    The sear in the oven will cause smoke in the house.
    OK,  Here's another way to do it.  Set the Egg for indirect cook, with a drip pan, and stabilize at 500 degrees, In the mean time, pre heat your oven to 500 degrees.  Place the roast in the Egg for 5 minutes per pound (10 pound roast = 50 minutes).
    Remove from Egg, place in 500 degree oven in a roasting pan.  Turn off the oven.  DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR for 2 hours.  The oven remains OFF.
    After 2 hours in the oven, the roast will be medium rare (130 degrees IT) and ready to serve.  You can check with a thermopen, but it should be right on.
    The advantage of doing the first part on the Egg is you keep your house from filling with smoke.  You also can plan on when it will be done. 
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

I'll have to try that next time. I'm already well into the reverse sear method sitting at an internal temp of 90°. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

• Tjcoley
    Options
    Just go for it.  The sear is only a minute or two per side - should not be any issue with an inferno.  Enjoy and post a pic of the finished product.
    Options
    Will do. Thanks.
  • meatfire
    Options
    I'm a little late with the pictures but I wanted to show the finished product and say thank you to Tjcoley and grege345 for helping out a noob.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Home run! You nailed it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That looks out-freaking-standing

!
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Very nicely done. Great looking meal there.
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Perfection!  :-bd
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks great, well done. I just picked up one to cook for New Year's Eve. Father-n-law is doing one on Saturday and wants to cook it in our oven for an hour at 500, turn the oven off and hope it's done in another hour. I offered my Egg up, but he said no. I told him it would be easy on the egg and I have a thermometer probe to keep an eye on the temp. Hard to teach old dogs new tricks.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • meatfire
    Options

Looks great, well done. I just picked up one to cook for New Year's Eve.

Thanks. I've used that method with an eye of round and it turned out amazing; however, that's a cheaper cut of meat and worth the risk. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll make it work somehow.

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Great looking meal you made there

Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • meatfire
    Options
    In case anyone is interested, I used a modest rub, I cooked it at 225° until the roast came up to an internal temp of 80° then cooled the dome down to 200° for the remainder of the cook. Pulled it at 115° and rested for 45 minutes. The internal came up to 124°. Cranked Egg up to 600° stable and seared top and bottom about 1 minute each. The very center was 133° after final rest of 20 minutes.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    meatfire said:
    In case anyone is interested,

we're always interested in learning what works and what doesn't.
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    BigGreenPackerFan Posts: 43
    edited December 2014
    Options

That's it. I am finally going to try the reverse sear on the Prime Rib this year. I love what it does for steaks. I normally buy a bone in roast and have it cut and tied. Any thoughts on how to handle this with the reverse sear? I would think things might come apart on the sear if the bones are still in place. Cut them off after low & slow? Sear bones separately? My kids love them so I don't want to toss them.

• meatfire
    Options

I had a 10 lb choice standing rib that was cut and tied. I left it tied throught the entire process. For me, the meat seemed to protect the twine during the searing process and it remained enact. Best of luck. Please post some pics.

• yumdinger
    Options
    Can I ask how long you cooked at 225?  I am doing a 10lb standing roast today and need to know when to start it. thanks!
  • meatfire
    Options
    Dang it, sorry I missed this somehow. Hopefully you're well into it. I didn't keep track of the time so I wouldn't have been much help anyways. Let me know how it's going.