Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple-Bourbon Ham

13»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    jennydp said:
    I have a ham failure....we cooked a "fresh" ham to these directions and it came out tasting like a pork roast....doesn't taste like ham at all!!!! what went wrong?  should i have bought a pre-made ham?  if so what is the point to cook a ham that has already been cooked?  #biggreenegghamfailure
    sorry...but this recipe is in fact for pre-cooked, pre-smoked commercial hams. Yours apparently was a raw bone in leg aka chunk-o-pig and yes it would come out like yours did. Most recipes here are what I call commercial ham enhancers and I for one always trim off the hard outer layer of the ham! Other wise any exterior glaze added to a pre-cooked ham will merely slide off the ham into the pan/fire/plate setter. Don't feel bad...we all have such stories to share at a later date! Have a Happy TD anyway if you can!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I'm gonna speak, way out of turn. This one is based on a pre-cooked ham.

I've had several "fresh" hams. Nothing like a cured, pre-cooked ham.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    The problem is what some people think of as a "ham".

Technically, it is the hindquarter cut of the pig (aka Green Ham or Fresh Ham)

but to many, like me, it is a cured hunk of pork (pink when cooked due to effect of nitrites)

And although they used to be more commonly available, now it is hard to find a cured but uncooked Ham in your local grocery store.  Most now are fully cooked whether or not they are spiral cut.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    By the way, you can do this in a crock pot, but it doesn't taste nearly as good.  MIL had a ham thawed out when we got there on Saturday, and no idea what to do with it.  I just so happen to have the recipe on my Evernote.  I whipped it up, injected it and threw it in the pot (they don't have an egg) and had it for dinner.  No crust, but the flavor was pretty close.

Hate to admit that I did it, but it all worked out.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    jennydp said:
    I have a ham failure....we cooked a "fresh" ham to these directions and it came out tasting like a pork roast....doesn't taste like ham at all!!!! what went wrong?  should i have bought a pre-made ham?  if so what is the point to cook a ham that has already been cooked?  #biggreenegghamfailure
    Fresh ham?  As in un-cured?  That's a pork roast.
    how would this recipe work using the glaze, as well as adding the pineapples around the ham ?
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    cfox said:
    how would this recipe work using the glaze, as well as adding the pineapples around the ham ?
    Never tried it with the pineapple rounds, but, it should be good!!!  :)
  • I'm thinking of adding some brown sugar towards the end. Gonna pin some pineapple slices to it as well.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Ryezza
    Ryezza Posts: 22
    edited December 2016
    Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe! I used a slightly modified version today to heat up a pre-cooked spiral ham for the fam Christmas, and it turned out great. We made a roux from the drippings and added back in some brown sugar and bourbon (with a light hand) and it made for a fantastic gravy over the meat. Couple pics below - happy holidays!

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Holiday ham time bump!