Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak or not?

Options

Comments

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I'm gonna try sum royal oak 4 myself. I can't believe it's that bad. The only weird thing is the royal oak 17lb bag feels really light compared to the half empty bag of charcoal I have at home.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Here we go again. Hang on @Jeepster47‌, this thread might get as bumpy as the Rubicon trail.
    you have to wait after midnight ET for that!
    canuckland
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

When I purchased my egg the sales person told me where to get RO. He said that is what he buys. That's where I buy most of my lump. It's a 50 mile drive but I get in that area every month or two during work travels so its just a few miles off the beaten path.

They sell the 20 pound bags for under $12. The lump is fairly consistent with not much dust/chips. This spring I picked up the smaller bags, 17-18 pounders, at Walmart, because they were a little less expensive. Those bags were hit and miss. Much more dust/chips.

I can light RO and be cooking in less than 15 minutes. Most times the Egg is ready before I am.

Is RO the best out there? Based on others, probably not. Is it good, affordable, and available locally?

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nice change of attitude @mikee. I say that in all seriousness.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Mikee said:

When I purchased my egg the sales person told me where to get RO. He said that is what he buys. That's where I buy most of my lump. It's a 50 mile drive but I get in that area every month or two during work travels so its just a few miles off the beaten path.

They sell the 20 pound bags for under $12. The lump is fairly consistent with not much dust/chips. This spring I picked up the smaller bags, 17-18 pounders, at Walmart, because they were a little less expensive. Those bags were hit and miss. Much more dust/chips.

I can light RO and be cooking in less than 15 minutes. Most times the Egg is ready before I am.

Is RO the best out there? Based on others, probably not. Is it good, affordable, and available locally?

@Mikee - I haven't seen true 20# bags of RO in years so maybe you were still buying old stock! Not that that is bad, but just sayin...since 8.8 and 17.6 are the norm at least it has been for several years here.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options

Nice change of attitude @mikee. I say that in a seriousness.

=)) =))

He's been flagging disagree on all my posts and at least one other forum members. Disagree flags are sometimes warranted, but 10 in 24hrs. Also, if you read the posts that he's flagging, you'll see the attitude hasn't changed much. I bet the @theyolksonyou‌ can agree on this one.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Just thought he wasn't nearly as combative as on earlier post. I didn't get into the other conversations

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stemc33
    Options
    Almighty RO, you are the greatest ^:)^ ^:)^ O:-) =))
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @stemc33‌ looks like we're tied at 11 in 24 hrs. :D
  • Mikee
    Options

RRP:

The place I buy the 20 pounders at is in Chambersburg, Pa. I've been buying it there ever since I bought the Egg. While I have no idea has to whether it old stock, it does get moved around. They don't have the RO in the store. It's in their warehouse in the back of the building. Sometimes they just have a couple of pallets and other times 1 /2 of truck load. Based on that, I think they have a good turnover. The 20 pounds bags are much larger than the 17.6 pounders at Walmart. Perhaps they come from a different location.

• stemc33
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mikee said:

RRP:

The place I buy the 20 pounders at is in Chambersburg, Pa. I've been buying it there ever since I bought the Egg. While I have no idea has to whether it old stock, it does get moved around. They don't have the RO in the store. It's in their warehouse in the back of the building. Sometimes they just have a couple of pallets and other times 1 /2 of truck load. Based on that, I think they have a good turnover. The 20 pounds bags are much larger than the 17.6 pounders at Walmart. Perhaps they come from a different location.

2.4 pounds larger
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I have no issues with RO. Burns well, costs $12 for the 17lb bag. What more can you ask for with charcoal that you are not paying a buck a pound.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I don't think RO is bad lump. Like SGH and many others here, I have used a lot of bags of it and still do from time to time.  I find that it just takes more time to cook with. I have three kids to keep me running so time is at a premium for me. 

I look at it like this, if I didn't pay for high speed internet, I could get by just fine. Now, when I'm used to high speed internet, slow internet connections drive me crazy. .... just like waiting for the white smoke to clear on RO. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    I only use Ozark Oak
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Royal Oak red bag. It's great, IMHO.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Here's the way I look at it. Royal Oak is sold at Menards. When I want to buy something that's cheap I go there. If I want to buy something of good quality it's about the last place I think of going...

The first 2 years I had my egg I cooked chicken indirectly with RO and without using any smoking wood. The chicken always came off the grid with a noticeable taste that I equated with what creosote would taste like. Once I switched over to Rockwood that taste virtually went away. If I used smoking wood in addition to the RO the creosote taste wasn't an issue.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited December 2014
    Options
    XC242 said:

Here's the way I look at it. Royal Oak is sold at Menards. When I want to buy something that's cheap I go there. If I want to buy something of good quality it's about the last place I think of going...

The first 2 years I had my egg I cooked chicken indirectly with RO and without using any smoking wood. The chicken always came off the grid with a noticeable taste that I equated with what creosote would taste like. Once I switched over to Rockwood that taste virtually went away. If I used smoking wood in addition to the RO the creosote taste wasn't an issue.

Don't let your neighbors hear you talk smack about Menards. They might come after you with pitchforks! The HQ are in Madison if I'm not mistaking......
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @XC242 ... do you buy Rockwood from Dave's Ace Hardware?  Or, some other place.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ I bought my first batch from Firecraft earlier this year. Dave's just became a dealer this fall and I haven't made it down there yet. @WeberWho?‌ Their HQ is up in Eau Claire.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Mikee
    Options

@Stem3 The 20lb bags are much larger that the 17.6 bags.

Just buy both and judge for yourself. There is a definite, noticable difference in size.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Super-size TNT
    Went to local Wal-Mart, where they only had three remaining RO red bags for ~$6.80 a piece for 8.8 lb bags. Not a great deal, but I'll give them a try.

And thanks to everyone on the forum for bringing me to Firecraft.com - I just picked up some Ozark Oak and some Rockwood based on the recommendations here. Add that to my Weekend Warrior and we'll see which works best...
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    RO is like a box of Franzia, it's cheap, does what it is supposed to and you can get it almost anywhere, usually sold right next to a match light briquette. 

I myself prefer many other varieties that are more refined, give me a better overall finished product and are harder to come by.  Also, I've found the prices of RO can differ dramatically depending on where you buy it.  Step up your cooks with a nicer brand and you will notice a better end result.  I prefer Wicked Good and Fogo, but honestly, I even have better luck with the Cowboy Brand. Just my $0.02
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Stock up on RO when Wally World or Home Depot price it cheap. Nothing wrong with RO except it seems to burn a lttle faster the OA and RW.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I have some friends and family that own eggs. So I keep a couple bags of RO just in case they need to borrow some lump. I use OO  and if they want to borrow some of it then they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands. =)

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    If RO turns out food like this, I don't mind. I've gone through almost 10 bags with no issues to speak of. Being that I'm almost out, I'm going to try OO or RW because of all the hype. Can't beat the sale price of RO at Wally World though!

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    those chicken bombs are killing me - that looks fantastic @fence0407
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Legume said:
    those chicken bombs are killing me - that looks fantastic @fence0407
    They tasted as good as they looked! Thanks! Trying to give RO some credit!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    The lady at Ozark Oak laughed at me when I asked about a dealer in Illinois.  She was nice, in that southern belle way, but I think she was telling me that they don't share with Yankees.  
    @Jeepster47  If I remember correctly, didn't you say you were neighbors with the owner of Lindy's?  If so, ask him if he could order a pallet of it.  I have a place to store it and enough people to buy it that they wouldn't even have to keep it.  I called the OO warehouse last spring and they said they couldn't sell directly to the public.  Had to be purchased through a store because they couldn't keep up with the current demands.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    The lady at Ozark Oak laughed at me when I asked about a dealer in Illinois.  She was nice, in that southern belle way, but I think she was telling me that they don't share with Yankees.  
    @Jeepster47  If I remember correctly, didn't you say you were neighbors with the owner of Lindy's?  If so, ask him if he could order a pallet of it.  I have a place to store it and enough people to buy it that they wouldn't even have to keep it.  I called the OO warehouse last spring and they said they couldn't sell directly to the public.  Had to be purchased through a store because they couldn't keep up with the current demands.
    A couple years ago when Jerry from Hearth & Patio in Peoria tried to become a OO dealer he was told they would not be accepting dealerships "that far away".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.