Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Rubs - Impressions?

Options
124»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    RRP said:

DocWonmug said:
    It's true DP does a good job marketing to the BGE community, and that may be some of the reason it is so popular.
    Perhaps some history would be of interest here. Way back in 2000 when I first became an egger and joined the original forum Chris was already there and he used to share his rub formulations. He was very creative and developed a following of eggheads. I printed out many of them and used to mix them myself based on his detailed formulas. I forget exactly when and who it was but somebody whispered in his ear that he had a knack and to quit giving away his formulations! Slowly thereafter Chris started Dizzy Pig  and built it into the brand that it is today. Besides producing the DP products he also has a BGE dealership and has years of success on the national BBQ circuit. You might say some of us grew up watching Chris/Dizzy Pig turn into an American success story! 
    Little bit of correctional history Ron. Chris, who I know pretty well, had a Canadian partner in the business. I believe Chris bought him out because it was expensive to get the approvals and labeling for the Canuck market.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey y'all!
    Thanks Ron and Steve). You wrapped it up putty good. All this started with my purchase of an EGG, then spending countless hours on the forum learning. The more I learned, the more I wanted to give back and racked up thousands of posts (to my wife's disappointment). Also probably drove some people nuts with my questions. 12 years later our relationship with BGE, our growth in other areas, and our passion, is still going strong. The cofounder, BBQFan1 (Mike Kerslake) and I are still working together.

Thanks for all of your comments good or bad. We learn from all of them.

Just want to say how special it is to read through this (and many other) threads where people are enjoying what we have been working on for 12 years. I, and everyone on the Dizzy team are very accessible. Just yell!

Happy holidays.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    And a big thanks back at you, Chris! As I reported elsewhere I too received your care package yesterday and will freely give away the 5 packets to spread the DP gospel...but the key chain is MINE! Thanks guy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I just ordered the 4 pack from the website since I won't be in Manassas anytime soon. They have a promo code of multi2014 for 20% off of the 4 and 7 packs. That's not a bad price per bottle and you can order what you want.
    Chester, MD
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hey y'all!
    Thanks Ron and Steve). You wrapped it up putty good. All this started with my purchase of an EGG, then spending countless hours on the forum learning. The more I learned, the more I wanted to give back and racked up thousands of posts (to my wife's disappointment). Also probably drove some people nuts with my questions. 12 years later our relationship with BGE, our growth in other areas, and our passion, is still going strong. The cofounder, BBQFan1 (Mike Kerslake) and I are still working together.

Thanks for all of your comments good or bad. We learn from all of them.

Just want to say how special it is to read through this (and many other) threads where people are enjoying what we have been working on for 12 years. I, and everyone on the Dizzy team are very accessible. Just yell!

Happy holidays.
    Chris
    Well I don't really know you that well. I was just name-dropping. I heard you liked the Waffle House late at night and eat the hash browns
    :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    DMW said:
    @jcaspary
    Apparently I'm a member of their Dizzyhead loyalty program.

You can purchase sampler packs of their rubs here for great prices:

of the many things I like about DP products is the consisteny of taste and the "best if used by" dating. After years of making my own I just kept narrowing down to the few formulations that we liked. If not used then yes spices lose their bang and the larger the quantity the bigger the loss when you put on your big boy pants and decide to throw them out! My worst case was 6 years ago after making and sharing several large batches of the late Ken Stone's formulation he called Witchy Red. It was a great rub, with 11 spices in various quantities. Seven of those 11 ingredients were difficult to locate even on the Internet, but also expensive! I bit the bullet and pitched $80 worth.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I miss Ken Stone and think of him often. Steve, that 5am jaunt to waffle house will never be forgotten

Cheers!
    C
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I like the DP Dizzy Dust (course blend) for cooking pork butts. The large bottle was a tad over $30 but it does last a while. Dizzy Dust is good on beef and chicken. I even use it on my fried eggs.

I just got some OakRidge rubs; arrived yesterday. I sampled two of them and have not used it for a cook. The Dominator Sweet Rib Rub seem like a winner. The Habanero Death Dust also seems like it has place for wings or ribs. I haven't tried the other rubs yet.

While it is less expensive to make your own rubs, I prefer to buy them. The cost to buy them and have them delivered is not that bad.