Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with brine ratio!!!!

Options
Eggers - This year, I ordered a pastured, broad-breasted white from a local non-GMO, sustainable, blah blah, farmer.  :)  I asked for a <16 LB. bird since I am only feeding about 8 people and we're having brisket, too.  WELL, when I showed up to get the bird today, the farmer apologized and said 'the birds are REALLY big this year' then proceeded to hand me a TWENTY-EIGHT POUND turkey!!!!!  This sucker barely fit in my cooler.  I figure the bright side is this: I can smoke the legs, wings & a thigh or both on my MBGE & then I will cook the rest, spatchcocked, on my Weber LP grill.  HERE'S MY ASK: 1) How long do I brine this mammoth (We are eating on Friday, so I can start tonight & get 36 hours) and 2) what is my salt-to-water ratio for such a big bird and a long brine?  Everything I see online is for a ~16 LB bird for 8-12 hours.  I have read that a 6% solution is good for a short brine, but longer requires less salt.  WHO CAN HELP A BROTHA OUT??????
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I do 5% for 12-24 hours or a quick brine of 10% for 3 or 4 hours (the short brine followed by a fresh water soak).  Either way, rinse off well including under the skin before cooking.   The metric system with weight is a good way to make brine.  Volume is a poor choice for salt.
    Options
    I did a 20 lb one over last night for 24 hours and it is now in the fridge for 24 or so. I used 3/4 cup of kosher salt to 2/3 cup of brown sugar per one gallon. It took 2 gallons to cover it. I'm not sure about your ratio but I think you will be ok. I use brining for for flavor so also added beer and some good rub. Good luck
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Shrek
    Shrek Posts: 67
    Options
    @Ladeback69 - so you rinsed yours off, patted dry, then stored in the fridge?  uncovered?  thanks!
    My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I'd tackle a bird that big by breaking it down first, if you're planning to cook the dark meat separate anyhow. It'll be easier to fit it into whatever brining container you have.

I'd just pick whatever 24 hr brine recipe you find that looks good and go for it. I did 3/4 cup salt and 3/4 cup brown sugar in 2 gallons of water, for 24 hours, and it worked fine but is probably less salty than others.

Looking forward to pics of that big bird!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Shrek said:
    @Ladeback69 - so you rinsed yours off, patted dry, then stored in the fridge?  uncovered?  thanks!

I didn't rinse it off, last time I did it didn't have as much flavor as I wanted. I did pat dry and then stored in the fridge uncovered. Tomorrow I am putting pats of butter under the soon, brushed with butter and then sprinkle some rub on the skin. I am cooking indirect at 350 to 375 in v rack and drip pan. I am estimating 15 minutes a pound. At that temp I am thinking 5 hours, but am giving myself a couple extra hours so I have time to cook a pie too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.