Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mapp Torch or a Looflighter?

I usually use an electric starter to light my Egg. I am thinking about buying one of these. Which do you recommend? Which creates the least amount of sparks while lighting? My Egg is on a deck that is wood. Because of this, should I just stay with the electric starter? Thanks.

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    I have a looflighter and it causes sparks because it's blowing hot air. Not sure if it causes less sparking than a torch style lighter. I have a cement patio so sparking doesn't cause me any significant concern.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    edited November 2014
    I use the Mapp torch, and have used the loofligher before.  I chose the MAPP torch due to being able to use it on other projects, along with the fact that it's a little quicker to start the egg then the looflighter.  FWIW.

Edit:  The MAPP torch and looflighter both spark, it's the charcoal though, not the lighter.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2014
    I use a Map gas torch. It works perfect.
    Hold the flame in three separate locations in the lump (10-2-6) for 15-20 seconds each and it's lit. Couldn't be easier.  Never used a loof, but I can't imagine it being any better then using a Map torch.
    I wouldn't worry about burning your wood deck while lighting with the torch. The only thing I ever burned was a tiny hole from a spark popping on my best Saints shirt. *note after last nights game I'm going to burn the rest of the shirt. ;) 
    Before Mapp gas and electricity this is how i lit my bge
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    @tigertony that's a COOL lighter...Mine is more modern!
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited November 2014

I had a Looftlighter up until recently.  It lasted me around 2 years, recently I've been thinking it was.... slowing down, and about 2 weeks ago, *poof*, it died.

Bought a MAPP torch to replace it before a last minute cook (hardware store is closer than the bbq store), and I'm impressed with how quickly the torch works.  I will NOT be buying a new looftlighter now.

My vote:  MAPP.

Oh right - re: sparking, I'm on a wood deck as well, and both the looftlighter, and mapp torch spark.  Your lump is really a larger factor in this aspect than the lighter imho.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Sounds like a Mapp for me. I was somewhat concerned about using it on that wooden deck. It is one story high in the back of the house. I appreciate your comments.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I close the lid on the torch as I light. My lump sparks at times but usually not much. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I use a mapp, easy to obtain, new torch tops with igniters are relatively cheap. And you can solder copper with it too.
    :D
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Both will spark. Go to home depot and for $25 get the wagner heat gun in the painting section. Works just as fast as the looft light but a fraction of the price and most likely better quality. FYI the heat gun will spark also. If you don't want sparks stay electric or get starter cubes both work with no sparks.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    I use mapp. If you put the nozzle into the pile of lump you hardly get any sparking.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

I have a loof, not really a big fan, more often than not I end up using my $9 Menards electric starter.

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Lit said:

Both will spark. Go to home depot and for $25 get the wagner heat gun in the painting section. Works just as fast as the looft light but a fraction of the price and most likely better quality. FYI the heat gun will spark also. If you don't want sparks stay electric or get starter cubes both work with no sparks.</blockquote

I have one in the basement I haven't used for years. What is the technique using the heat gun?

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    The MAPP sparks on fresh lump. If you light the lump that's already been heated and cooled, the sparks are considerably less.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    lwrehm said:

I have a loof, not really a big fan, more often than not I end up using my $9 Menards electric starter.

Same here, the looft is too slow. The electric starter has no sparks and you don't need to stand and hold it.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Sparks? What's a couple of sparks? photo 6579fd3d.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    If you don't want to deal with sparks try a small piece of paper towel soaked with vegetable oil and a small cheap butane torch from harbor freight . No sparks and real easy .
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @dihtn I usually push the tip of the heat gun down into the lump a couple inches that way the lump above blocks most of the sparks. I use th ehigh setting on my heat gun. You have to watch it as it will start the lump on fire in a mater of a couple minutes and will melt your heat gun. Usually It takes 1-2 minutes to get a decent amount of lump going then I just hang the handle of the heat gun over the side of the egg with the heat area pointing at the place I lit to get it going even faster. If I am in a hurry I will light several places then keep the heat gun hanging on the edge of th egg. When I do that I can have pretty much all the charcoal in a large burning in 10 minutes.